Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

LHR transfer: DL in T3 to BA in T5, will I make it?

Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Hello, I am arriving at LHR 19:40 DL T3 from JFK and have a 20:40 BA T5 to CDG. Unfortunately this only gives 1 hour in between, far below the 90 min MCT, but this is the last flight to PAR of the day.

Will it be possible for me to make the connection? I will have only carry on, and complete OLCI before the JFK departure. Is it correct that I can stay airside and take the flight connections, and not go through immigration?

Any advice is welcome...
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:16 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by airnovice
Hello, I am arriving at LHR 19:40 DL T3 from JFK and have a 20:40 BA T5 to CDG. Unfortunately this only gives 1 hour in between, far below the 90 min MCT, but this is the last flight to PAR of the day.

Will it be possible for me to make the connection? I will have only carry on, and complete OLCI before the JFK departure. Is it correct that I can stay airside and take the flight connections, and not go through immigration?

Any advice is welcome...
Don't try it.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 5:43 am

Hello, I am arriving at LHR 19:40 DL T3 from JFK and have a 20:40 BA T5 to CDG.
Will it be possible for me to make the connection?
Unlikely. You will not be let into security if your flight leaves in less than 45 minutes. It is unlikely that you will be able to get off the plane, walk to the T3-T5 bus, and arrive in T5 in time. Good luck; keep us updated.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 7:40 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT (2 MM); Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium

Yes, you will stay airside without going through immigration, but it is highly unlikely you will make this connection. You have a long walk from your arriving T3 gate to the Flight Connections bus depot, then an annoyingly slow bus ride from T3 to T5. Upon arriving at T5, even if you were able to get on the Fast Track line to Security, you would run into the "T5 Security buzz saw." During my last three trips this spring/summer, I have encountered progressively longer lines at T5 Security.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 7:56 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus

Any advice is welcome...
As none of your flights are on American Airlines, I think it best to break off these posts into a new thread and move that to the UK and Ireland forum for discussion by a broader group.

~Microwave
AAdvantage Forum Co-moderator
Old Jun 27, 2014, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador

Any advice is welcome...

Are you actually arriving on a VS flight (DL code share) ? Just for clarification because it won''t make any difference. You will simply not make the connection.

As you know the MCT is 90 minutes

Is this on one single ticket or did you buy them separately?

If the former then you really should not have been offered that combination by the airline / travel agent in the first place.

If the latter then you are stuck as when you miss the BA flight they will simply cancel your ticket as a no-show and they are not responsible for rebooking you onto another flight (after all they weren't responsible for you missing it)
Old Jun 27, 2014, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

It is indeed a VS on a DL codeshare; and booked separately.

I've accepted that it is near physically impossible to make the T3 to T5 connection within 1 hour, and have rebooked accordingly. Thanks for all the input!
Old Jun 28, 2014, 2:26 pm

I hope the new connection is 2+ hours because even 2 hours could be hairy if things end up messy at T5 security.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.