Search

What have they done to LCY???

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2014, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

What have they done to LCY???

Here is the article - which I only saw after the event:

http://www.bloomberg.com/now/press-r...-city-airport/

I have just had my first experience of the new "Bloomberg Airport", and found it truly awful! Video advertising everywhere.... very garish, very intrusive, creating a very restless atmosphere.

How they can possibly think that this will "enhance the experience" for business travellers is just beyond me. Don't they understand that what business travellers want, above all, is a quiet, peaceful environment where we can get on with some work?
Old May 7, 2014, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Rather like the Heathrow Express - televisions shouting advertisements at you on the whole trip. I avoid it like the plague. The tube might not be great, but at least I'm not force-fed advertisements.
Old May 7, 2014, 3:55 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Good earbuds are a must for the Heathrow Express. Sounds like LCY has joined the club. Shame.
Old May 7, 2014, 4:43 am
Original Poster

It's a blindfold you need at LCY rather than earbuds. It's video pollution rather than noise pollution.

Most of the videos are silent (like the ones you see at some Tube stations), but they're very intrusive, even if you're not looking at them. The area just after security (with the Illy outlet, and a la carte restaurant) is particularly bad... they have huge video banners scrolling around the four walls, in rapidly-changing bright colours. It felt a bit like being in a laser show.

I was trying to get some work done at one of the Illy tables, but found the laser show to be so much of a distraction that I had to move. There are still a few quiet corners where you can get away from the video pollution, but you have to look for them.
Old May 7, 2014, 10:58 am

Photo from a Twitter user.

Short video from Bloomberg themselves.

The nightmare of information age overload made real. Looks hideous.
Old May 7, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by Mizter T
Photo from a Twitter user.
This looks positively dreadful.
Old May 7, 2014, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

The photo is pretty tame. Have a look at the video which shows how bad it really is. And the real thing is even worse.

Have just booked my next flight, and it's NOT from LCY. In fact I didn't even look at LCY as an option.
Old May 7, 2014, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
It's a blindfold you need at LCY rather than earbuds. It's video pollution rather than noise pollution.

Most of the videos are silent (like the ones you see at some Tube stations), but they're very intrusive, even if you're not looking at them. The area just after security (with the Illy outlet, and a la carte restaurant) is particularly bad... they have huge video banners scrolling around the four walls, in rapidly-changing bright colours. It felt a bit like being in a laser show.

I was trying to get some work done at one of the Illy tables, but found the laser show to be so much of a distraction that I had to move. There are still a few quiet corners where you can get away from the video pollution, but you have to look for them.
Are these the kind of things that some epileptics are, per doctors' advice, told to avoid if possible? I know I've seen kids' toys with flashing lights come with warnings about not being used by or around persons with epilepsy.
Old May 7, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
If this is the future of public spaces then staying at home is going to become very attractive!
Old May 7, 2014, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Are these the kind of things that some epileptics are, per doctors' advice, told to avoid if possible
That thought occurred to me too... I started to feel a headache coming on after a while (that's when I decided to move), so I dread to think what this would do to epileptics.
Old May 7, 2014, 8:41 pm

As someone who suffers from photosensitive migraines, I'm now dreading my next flight out of there...

(OK, it's not as bad as the high-energy, blue-tinged, energy-saving lighting that seems to be getting installed in public spaces everywhere, but I'm still stockpiling the triptans...)
Old May 7, 2014, 10:53 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I saw these changes on Friday. They seem to have removed a lot of seating in the main area and replaced it with the huge Bloomberg advert with some stool seating.

I had not seen the Boots before but it's a good idea.

Old May 8, 2014, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Markie, I don't quite understand the point you are making about Boots - probably missing something, would you mind explaining?
Old May 8, 2014, 3:29 am

Was there a Boots there at all before? LCY always used to be heavy on high-end goods, and light on the practical, so it's a very welcome arrival (if only to stock up on 100ml cans of Nivea Men Shaving Gel) if new.
Old May 8, 2014, 6:27 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
How much extra heat does all the tech generate and have they upped the a/c to cope with it?

I notice the heat coming off all the new screens in the tube stations (on escalators and passageways) and wonder if they switched them off how much cooler the stations would be!!

Flying out next week so will be interesting to see up front. Had planned to go for lunch at the airport as we have a 2.30 departure, but now may just have it at home or Canary Wharf and arrive with 20 mins to spare or something similar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.