Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Virgin Trains trialling cooked-to-order pizza

Old Mar 17, 14, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card

I had a nice little surprise on the train down from Glasgow this afternoon - we got the usual announcement about the snacks and sandwiches available in the on-board shop, but then something new: pizzas.

here's the rather, ahem, cheesy flyer:

I was quite tempted by the haggis option, but the wife didn't approve, so I ordered the ham and mushroom. About 40 minutes later, it was delivered to my seat from the first class galley.

My photo probably belies that it was actually pretty tasty. I think the base was from frozen, but the rest seemed to have been freshly prepared, and certainly nicer than something from a packet that had been thermonucleated in a microwave. It brought to mind the hot meals you used to be able to order from the GNER buffet, though they seem to have disappeared with the demise of the restaurant car.

As the flyer says, it's currently only available on the 1140 from Glasgow Central to London Euston, but the man in the shop said that they were looking to roll it out on other routes. It's a nice idea, though I'm not sure how well it would work on busier services - or whether you'd be able to fit the pizza box on those silly flip-down tables on the airline-style seats.

Of course, on other trains, with a bit of judicious planning, you could call a local takeaway and get them to deliver to a platform en route...
Old Mar 18, 14, 8:22 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Which has been done apparently. (Oxford would be a good place for pulling that trick, there's a Dominos sort of across the road from the station).

Pizza baked on the train is an intriguing development though, and the price seems quite reasonable.
Old Mar 18, 14, 1:40 pm

Programs: BAEC
Nice idea, although the smell might be a bit antisocial for those not eating. I was sat next to a woman on the tube yesterday all the way from Heathrow to central London, who happily spent 45 minutes munching on a McDonalds
Old Mar 18, 14, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat SPG Gold
Originally Posted by shefgab View Post
Nice idea, although the smell might be a bit antisocial for those not eating. I was sat next to a woman on the tube yesterday all the way from Heathrow to central London, who happily spent 45 minutes munching on a McDonalds
There's always first class on Virgin Trains. Not to mention they bring you oodles of food. You can always nab a first class ticket for half price if time isn't a constraint.
Old Mar 23, 14, 6:25 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by flyerhog View Post
There's always first class on Virgin Trains. Not to mention they bring you oodles of food. You can always nab a first class ticket for half price if time isn't a constraint.
Is this route or time dependant? Other half went up to Manchester this week form London. Mid morning departure and all he got was a cup of tea and a roll with sausage in it (as opposed to a sausage roll!). Coming back today (Sunday) all he got was a miniature box of miniature snacks - and this was a lunch time train. Thankfully he did buy a sandwich before boarding.

The price from Standard to first was 11 more on the way up, but only 2 more on the Sunday.
Old Mar 23, 14, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
There's a reduced service on weekends and bank holidays - that's why it's so cheap to upgrade. At other times, you get oodles of food, and alcoholic drinks.
Old Mar 24, 14, 8:22 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by teflon View Post
There's a reduced service on weekends and bank holidays - that's why it's so cheap to upgrade. At other times, you get oodles of food, and alcoholic drinks.
He was prepared for the snack box for the Sunday journey, but still shocked at the tiny size of it all. Particularly for a lunch time service.

His outbound journey didn't have oodles of food and also a distinct lack of service from the staff. Efficient but no warmth or interest in the passengers. .
Old Mar 24, 14, 9:05 am

Programs: LH SEN, Hilton Diamond, AF/KL & BA basic memberships, Tufty Club Exec Plutonium
Originally Posted by teflon View Post
I would never describe the service I've experience during the week as oodles of food and bloody good luck to get more than one drink out of them. I also think the food is getting worse, which is why I tend to take Chiltern more often these days.
Old Mar 24, 14, 4:39 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by iainbhx View Post
I would never describe the service I've experience during the week as oodles of food and bloody good luck to get more than one drink out of them. I also think the food is getting worse, which is why I tend to take Chiltern more often these days.
There are always 2 drinks runs on the Manchester trains. I'd expect a few more to Glasgow.
Old Mar 25, 14, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I understand you can buy hot pizza on the Eurostar.
Wasn't hungry enough on my last journey to give one a try.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: