Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Can transit passengers leave LHR for a few hours?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2014, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum

We are traveling through LHR to Dubai with Emirates, and our luggage will be booked straight through to the final destination from RDU. We have a 6.5hr layover in LHR and we want to be able to go out to meet with some friends.

Do we need to check out our luggage to be able to do this? Or, can we just leave the airport and come back closer to the time - we will be all checked in to all the flights - just trying to figure out if it will be as easy to just go out. If the answer is - we have to get our luggage and then recheck it in - then it is not worth it.

Thanks for your replies,

D
Old Mar 2, 2014, 6:32 am

Programs: BA GfL
If your luggage is checked through and if you can travel to the UK without a visa (or if you already have the required visa), then yes, you can leave LHR with no problems. Be aware that 6.5 hours is not all that long if you are trying to go into central London, considering how long it can take to get off the plane and through immigration, how long it takes to get to and from your destination, and the fact that you'll need to be back at LHR at least 60 minutes before your flight.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks!!!

Friends are in Fleet so we should be ok, and yes - we are US citizens so no issues with visa there.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 8:48 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
For more discussion, please follow as the thread moves to the U.K./Ireland forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Desirees
Friends are in Fleet so we should be ok, and yes - we are US citizens so no issues with visa there.
If there's no traffic you can drive down to the Fleet area on the M3 in about a half hour. Better and safer however for them to come up to you and you could meet in a hotel lounge -- the T4 Hilton or one of the places that line the Bath road on the north perimeter of LHR.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
If there's no traffic you can drive down to the Fleet area on the M3 in about a half hour. Better and safer however for them to come up to you and you could meet in a hotel lounge -- the T4 Hilton or one of the places that line the Bath road on the north perimeter of LHR.
Bleugh. Why not meet in Windsor or somewhere, anywhere, that's a nicer place to be? Most depressing, basing a meet-up with friends at the tat that make up Bath Road hotels.

In any event, hardly takes any time to get to Windsor (and back) from Heathrow. If it's half an hour to Fleet then I'd be minded to just go there.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Alternatively, there are a couple of pretty good pubs in Hatton Cross. The Green Man and the Beehive.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone for your replies...plan is to walk right out after immigration - they pick us up, drive to their place in Fleet - we hang out for a couple of hours and then they drop us back to continue our flight on Emirates.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Just be ready to change your plans!

As has been noted upthread, it'll take you an hour to get out of the airport. You need to be back at Heathrow 1hr before departure minimum. I believe they now have the 'compliance' cut-off in play at all terminals, and T3 is where I've seen the worst security lines. You have to be at the front by cut-off, not just in the line.

So allowing some contingency, you're going to have to leave Fleet at least 2hrs before takeoff.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 4:28 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by London_traveller
Bleugh. Why not meet in Windsor or somewhere, anywhere, that's a nicer place to be? Most depressing, basing a meet-up with friends at the tat that make up Bath Road hotels.

In any event, hardly takes any time to get to Windsor (and back) from Heathrow. If it's half an hour to Fleet then I'd be minded to just go there.
^
Old Mar 18, 2014, 4:40 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
I believe they now have the 'compliance' cut-off in play at all terminals, and T3 is where I've seen the worst security lines. You have to be at the front by cut-off, not just in the line.

So allowing some contingency, you're going to have to leave Fleet at least 2hrs before takeoff.
You need to have your boarding pass scanned to meet conformance, but this is normally at the security entrance not at the front of the security queue. I haven't used non fast-track security in T3, but is there normally a queue before having your boarding pass scanned?

Still, good advice about allowing a contingency. A 6.5 hour layover is not that much time when you factor in over an hour to get landside from arrival, transport to/from the airport, and arriving back at the airport with enough time to get to security in time to meet conformance.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by nux
You need to have your boarding pass scanned to meet conformance, but this is normally at the security entrance not at the front of the security queue. I haven't used non fast-track security in T3, but is there normally a queue before having your boarding pass scanned?
T3 more than anywhere else is a place where "it depends". I have been there when the queue went past all the shops on the upper floor and over to the stairs nearest fast track (which I ruffled some feathers getting to), and I have been there when there was no more than about a dozen non-staff in the checkpoint.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by stifle
T3 more than anywhere else is a place where "it depends". I have been there when the queue went past all the shops on the upper floor and over to the stairs nearest fast track (which I ruffled some feathers getting to), and I have been there when there was no more than about a dozen non-staff in the checkpoint.
Same experience for me. Have seen the lines all the way along that top floor, but equally people walking straight up to the normal (not fast track) checkpoint.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat SPG Gold
T5 can go pretty nuts during peak volume. Immigration sometimes can't handle all those extra passengers.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by flyerhog
T5 can go pretty nuts during peak volume. Immigration sometimes can't handle all those extra passengers.
An option, if somewhat extreme, in these instances is to take the airside bus to your choice of other terminal and clear immigration there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.