Reload this Page >

UK visa renewal rant

UK visa renewal rant

Old Sep 17, 2023, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Update time.

Filled out forms online and uploaded all supporting documentation online - this saved at least 3 trees versus the reams of paper that I had to use in 2013.

Paid slightly above 1000 in application fees, appointment fees, FedEx passport return fees and an extra 1.20 for SMS updates on my application.

Showed up at the biometrics collection center in Lilongwe with just a printed barcode and my passport. In at 8:34am and out at 8:38am. It was quick and painless.

Application uploaded on 22AUG23, biometrics provided on 28AUG23, passport received at British High Commission in Pretoria on 31AUG23, decision made on 11SEP23, passport returned on 14SEP23.

All tickety boo, except that once again I received only 9 years, 10 months and 19 days of validity rather than the 10 years I paid for.

AND I didn't receive a single SMS during the entire process.

I'm going to request a refund of the aforementioned 1.20
Well done! As an aside, I never sign up for SMS on anything if there is a cost involved but I have noticed that they/firms/gov send them anyway in almost all cases. In fact I cannot think of one institution/otherwise where they haven't.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 3:00 am

Programs: AX/Accor/IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Carlson Gold, BA Silver, KM Permanent, JJC (Retd)
All tickety boo, except that once again I received only 9 years, 10 months and 19 days of validity rather than the 10 years I paid for.

AND I didn't receive a single SMS during the entire process.
Deploy your crack team of Boycott, Blofeld and Gower to sort them out!

Another frustrating thing about the duration given is they will restrict it to the duration of another visa if you are applying from a third nation and need a visa for there.
My parents-in-law used to apply for their British visas at the High Commission in Malta, but were only ever given validity within the Schengen visa that they used for Malta. It was still worth it. Otherwise it would have involved days of travel just to get their finger prints taken.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gnarly
Another frustrating thing about the duration given is they will restrict it to the duration of another visa if you are applying from a third nation and need a visa for there.
Interestingly I have never had this particular problem.

My last few UK visas (going back to 1998) have been applied for in Lilongwe, Mumbai, Accra, Ottawa, New York and Atlanta - none of them were restricted to the duration of my visa in those countries.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 5:09 am

Programs: BA Silver / SQ Sol PPS / KE & EK Nobody!
Interestingly I have never had this particular problem.

My last few UK visas (going back to 1998) have been applied for in Lilongwe, Mumbai, Accra, Ottawa, New York and Atlanta - none of them were restricted to the duration of my visa in those countries.
Dare I say they felt guilty about the paperwork?
B747-437B likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cathay1101
Dare I say they felt guilty about the paperwork?
Soulless bureaucrats feel no guilt.
Cathay1101 and DaveS like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.