Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Currency in London- how much to get

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2013, 9:09 am
Original Poster

I am flying into Heathrow for 1 night on a trip to Italy - and 1 night on the way back.

On the way there, my flight lands at 10:40 pm and my flight in the morning leaves at 8:40 am. I will be lucky if I get 5 hours of sleep. On the way back, my flight lands at 8:15 pm and my flight in the morning I leaves at 10:15 am. I am staying at the Comfort Hotel both times. I think there is a bus that can take me there and back.

I assume I will need some pounds for some misc items like food and tipping?

I read that times between buses could be 40 min? Should I take a cab to the hotel? If I take the bus, do I tip? If a cab, how much might that be?

What is a good amount to get in pounds to pay for the above for both visits?
Old Oct 13, 2013, 9:20 am

Programs: Too many

50 pounds will be more than enough depending what you eat. No need to tip the bus driver, they don't expect it nor is it necessary. If you took a cab, just round up to the nearest dollar.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 9:21 am

Programs: Too many

Cabs also take card (visa and master)
Old Oct 13, 2013, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Oct 13, 2013, 9:55 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
As this query is specific to a city, we'll move this to the more appropriate UK/Ireland Destination forum. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Oct 13, 2013, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Sorry to say this but I think you've made a bit of a mistake in booking this hotel.

The last bus from Heathrow to the Comfort Hotel is at best an hour after your flight lands. So, assuming you have no delays (and don't fly into T4) you will just make the last bus. Any delays and you've got a problem. Full details of last buses can be found here:

http://www.heathrowairport.com/stati...-terminals.pdf

I would also be wary as to just what will be available in terms of food at the hotel after midnight.

If you try and take a black cab from the front of the airport, you will get endless grief from the driver who will also invariably find a way to get the meter up to £30 or more (he'll have waited several hours expecting a £100 fare into London).

Personally I'd contact the hotel and ask them for a local taxi firm's number. You may need this on arrival if there's any delay, but the fare should just run to £10 or so.

If time permits you may want to try and grab a sandwich and a drink from the convenience stores (like Marks & Spencer Simply Food) after customs in the arrivals hall. They will take credit cards.

To answer your initial question, £50 will be fine. The only 'cash' you will have to spend will be on cabs/bus fares. I'm just a bit concerned that your timings are a bit poor...
Old Oct 13, 2013, 12:38 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
No Cash Needed.....

If you take the awful Hotel Hoppa you can buy your ticket with a card. Top up on food and drink at the airport before you leave (card) and pay your hotel bill with card.

Repeat on the return.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

The hotels stays are already paid for. It may not be the best hotel, but I am only in town for few hours - and it is really just a place to sleep and shower and then take off again.

I don't really care for the bus - I'd rather take a taxi so I don't have to wait. I will look for that store you mention - I don't know that I'll even be hungry, but might be.

Thank you for all your suggestions.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 1:24 pm

I definitely agree with some of the advice above especially about food and a local cab, not one that has been waiting in the queue. I personally would not get any cash. I've gone for much, much longer with none in London. I agree, grab some food at the airport before you leave as it will not be easy to find anything else this late.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by Jinxy
50 pounds will be more than enough depending what you eat. No need to tip the bus driver, they don't expect it nor is it necessary. If you took a cab, just round up to the nearest dollar.
What? So if it is £13.50 you give the cabbie £14 ?
Old Oct 13, 2013, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
What? So if it is £13.50 you give the cabbie £14 ?
Pretty much. Certainly no more than 10 per cent.

And never tip minicab drivers, or bartenders, or indeed anyone in London except waiters and black cab drivers.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Crikey.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 2:04 pm

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
Originally Posted by Raffles
Pretty much. Certainly no more than 10 per cent.

And never tip minicab drivers, or bartenders, or indeed anyone in London except waiters and black cab drivers.
I am very interested in why only black cab drivers and waiters should be tipped
do they have more of a right to be tipped than everyone else

I actually find your post quite insulting

people tip for having received service so you are suggesting only black cab drivers and waiters offer any sort of service

quite unbelievable
Old Oct 13, 2013, 2:18 pm

I didn't know that one doesn't tip minicab drivers... but it would certainly never occur to me to tip a bartender in the UK (and I've never seen anyone else do it). I know one tips bartenders in some other countries, but when in Rome...

And I don't find anything at all in Raffles' post that I would call insulting
Old Oct 13, 2013, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by sophiesophie
The hotels stays are already paid for. It may not be the best hotel, but I am only in town for few hours - and it is really just a place to sleep and shower and then take off again.
It's not the quality of the hotel. The fact is it's difficult to get to, especially late at night.

Just a note to anyone arriving at Heathrow after about 9pm - take the time to check how easy it will be to get to your hotel before booking it. The hotel itself may be a bargain but if you end up spending a fortune getting to and from it, then it quickly becomes a false economy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.