Reload this Page >

Registered Traveller Scheme - easier entry for regular visitors to the UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 24, 2013, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BotB
The Registered Traveller Scheme is intended to allow easier entry for regular visitors to the UK.

The scheme is available for regular travelers to the UK who have a passport issued by

Africa
Botswana, Namibia, Seychelles.

Asia
Brunei, Hong Kong (Special Administrative Region passports only), Japan, Macao Special Administrative Region, Malaysia, Maldives, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan (if your passport has a personal ID number on the photo page)

Europe
Andorra, Monaco, Vatican City State.

Middle East
Israel.

North America
Bahamas, Canada, Mexico, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, USA.

Oceania
Australia, Nauru, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Tonga.

South and Central America
Argentina, Belize, Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Trinidad and Tobago, Uruguay.

* Visited the UK 4 times in the previous 24 months as a Business visitor, General visitor, Member of a diplomatic mission, Academic visitor, Entertainment or sports visitor, In transit - passing through the UK, Parent of a child in a UK school or Medical visitor. This generally includes tourists.

* Hold a valid visa in the categories Tiers 1, 2, 4 or 5 (excluding Creative/Sporting concession), Indefinite Leave to Remain, Naturalisation, UK Ancestry, Family member or spouse/partner. Note that EEA family permits, discretionary leave and leave outside the rules are excluded.

The application cost is Ł70 of which Ł50 is refunded if the application is rejected. Renewal costs Ł50 each year and changes of document details cost Ł20.

Registered Travellers are able to use the faster entry lanes (generally EU lines) when going through the UK Border at Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, East Midlands, Edinburgh, Gatwick (special registered traveller line), Glasgow, Heathrow, London City, Luton, Manchester, Southend and Stansted airports (or, alternatively, the ePassport gates if they have a biometric passport; while the ePassport gates at LHR T3 & T4 are being renovated the FastTrak lines can be used or the EU lines can be used). You will not have to fill in a landing card. (you do still need to carry your visa or BRP (biometric residence permit))

In addition, Registered Travellers are able to go through the UK Border at the Brussels, Lille and Paris Eurostar terminals without having to fill in a landing card.

Registered Travellers who hold a UK visa will not have their fingerprints checked at the UK Border.

Registration link: https://www.gov.uk/registered-traveller
Some extra information from Gatwick Airport is here.
Older terms and conditions of the initial trial are recorded in post 78.
Print Wikipost

Registered Traveller Scheme - easier entry for regular visitors to the UK

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by BotB
Interesting, there does seem to be conflicting information on the gov.uk sites depending on which route you access the info on registered traveller...

If one uses the link with gov.uk at the beginning of the address, it takes one to a page that doesn't list Bristol, whereas if you follow the one I received in my email, it takes one to a page with www.faster-uk-entry.service.gov.uk/about and does show Bristol...

I did also smile when I decided to check their T's & C's and found the link doesn't work...

So, will just have to see if someone tries Bristol and then hopefully lets us know...

Thanks for pointing this out, hoping Bristol is now included!
Data point - was on the KLM AMS-BRS flight yesterday, and although I didn't elect to use the e-Passport gates (non-EU queue was literally non-existent, whereas the EU queue was flooded), the immigration officer I spoke to while getting my passport checked did confirm that Registered Travellers can use the e-Passport gates at BRS.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 2:18 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
Thanks MeltingAlf, very useful to know that Bristol is indeed included in RT scheme, that will come in handy next time I fly in/out.

One thing I really love about RT and using the e-passport lanes is that you don't need to carry any old passports with the ILR / Visa in them...(When I would visit a manned desk, I always took it with me to be able to prove I had one just in case, although I know it is not mandatory...with e-passport lanes never needed it so have started leaving the old one at home. (I do appreciate that I could still need to be checked by a human for a number of reasons).

Safe travels everyone.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 10:56 am

I'm a member of the UK Registered Traveller program (US citizen currently traveling in the UK) and it recently occurred to me that there's no proof in my passport that I'm in the UK legally! (I was asked to produce that for a vacation apartment application, and luckily they accepted my passport and the email that the program sent documenting my membership.) Is there any website where I could check/print my current status -- something that says "Leave to Remain due to expire on xxxxx" or similar?

Thanks!
Old Apr 5, 2018, 9:20 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by WaldronS
I'm a member of the UK Registered Traveller program (US citizen currently traveling in the UK) and it recently occurred to me that there's no proof in my passport that I'm in the UK legally! (I was asked to produce that for a vacation apartment application, and luckily they accepted my passport and the email that the program sent documenting my membership.) Is there any website where I could check/print my current status -- something that says "Leave to Remain due to expire on xxxxx" or similar?

Thanks!
A printout of the email they send is supposed to be sufficient. In fact, you are SUPPOSED to print it out and carry it with your passport.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 4:51 am

I live in the UK on a work visa, and have signed up for the registered traveller scheme.

While I was getting my passport checked at LHR yesterday, the immigration officer said my partner - who is on a dependent’s visa - would also be allowed to use the EU line when traveling with me. Is that correct? Does anyone have experience with that?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 1:36 am

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Originally Posted by carmy
I live in the UK on a work visa, and have signed up for the registered traveller scheme.

While I was getting my passport checked at LHR yesterday, the immigration officer said my partner - who is on a dependent’s visa - would also be allowed to use the EU line when traveling with me. Is that correct? Does anyone have experience with that?
I would love to know this too. I'm a US passport holder in registered traveler on a tier 2 visa and spouse is a Filipino dependent on my visa. We've been told conflicting things at different times. He was told once (as he processed through the regular line and I used the egates) that he could go to the manned eu desk with me. But most recently a different agent told us that technically since I'm not an EU national I can't bring him with me and he needs to continue using the normal line. (they've also discouraged me from just waiting with him to go through the long line together since RT is supposed to help them cut down on those queues.)
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:36 pm

Just wanted to be sure, for regular visitors with no visa (because it's not required), we have to go through the terrible immigration lines FOUR times before we can apply for the registered traveler scheme? Is that no workaround for this?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
Just wanted to be sure, for regular visitors with no visa (because it's not required), we have to go through the terrible immigration lines FOUR times before we can apply for the registered traveler scheme? Is that no workaround for this?
I don't think the RT scheme requires trips solely through London Heathrow. Therefore, arriving through flights directly to LCY, GLA, or EDI would count (I know Border Control at these three is much easier than Heathrow; I know nothing about MAN or LGW so didn't include them for that reason, not because they might not also be easier than LHR). I don't see anything in the eligibility terms that would exclude entries by sea or train. And on my recent approved application, I was given credit for an entry into the UK on a trip from the US to Dublin where I then traveled from Ireland to Northern Ireland where there isn't Border Control (at least currently!) although I had to submit proof of purchases made in Northern Ireland, such as meals and hotels. But there must be four separate entries--no way around that.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I'm thinking of applying for this as I meet the criteria, have three upcoming trips in the next three months and travel about 4 times a year via LHR. One 90 minute wait usually leaves me cranky and I can't imagine that things are getting better.

I will land at 1045 Pm on a Bank Holiday Sunday, I assume the lines for immigration won't be as daunting as they are in the AM, but do I validate my trusted traveler on that day or do I wait until my second trip when I land on a typical work day (albeit around 730 am).
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by lalala
I'm thinking of applying for this as I meet the criteria, have three upcoming trips in the next three months and travel about 4 times a year via LHR. One 90 minute wait usually leaves me cranky and I can't imagine that things are getting better.

I will land at 1045 Pm on a Bank Holiday Sunday, I assume the lines for immigration won't be as daunting as they are in the AM, but do I validate my trusted traveler on that day or do I wait until my second trip when I land on a typical work day (albeit around 730 am).
I am at the stage in the process you describe--approved conditionally with final approval to occur "the next time you travel to the UK." It appears that you go through this step with any of the immigration officials that are on duty at the time; in other words, the approval can occur on any day or time of arrival and not just during what most of us consider "normal business hours."

For anyone who has been through the process, I'm happy to be corrected if my understanding is wrong, but I don't think it is based on other language in my conditional approval that indicates that upon final approval, my membership "year" will actually start the day I submitted my application and not on the date of either my conditional or final approval. Since my application was filed on June 25th, I'll have only approximately nine months in my first "year" of membership. Maybe this is wishful thinking, but I'd hope that final approval would indeed be done on my "next" entry to the UK rather than my "next" entry when the UK Border Force would have the appropriate personnel present who could give final validation to my application.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days

You validate on your next entry. There's no special personnel involved. Fill out the landing card but tell the immigration officer you've registered for the program and show them the confirmation printout. They'll give you a card with your number on it, although I haven't had to show this subsequently.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by CrazyJ82
You validate on your next entry. There's no special personnel involved. Fill out the landing card but tell the immigration officer you've registered for the program and show them the confirmation printout. They'll give you a card with your number on it, although I haven't had to show this subsequently.
I received my conditional entry permit, but that means that I have to wait in a 2 hour queue to get my card on the first go around? That seems ridiculous.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:31 am

I received my conditional entry permit, but that means that I have to wait in a 2 hour queue to get my card on the first go around? That seems ridiculous.
Hoops. Such as the ones Border Control are making us jump through to qualify.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Hoops. Such as the ones Border Control are making us jump through to qualify.
Good use of my last fast track pass then.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: CX GO, BA Gold, OZ*G, IHG Spire RA
Good use of my last fast track pass then.
Yes and once you're in the program renewal is simply a matter of paying the annual fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.