Reload this Page >

Registered Traveller Scheme - easier entry for regular visitors to the UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 24, 2013, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BotB
The Registered Traveller Scheme is intended to allow easier entry for regular visitors to the UK.

The scheme is available for regular travelers to the UK who have a passport issued by

Africa
Botswana, Namibia, Seychelles.

Asia
Brunei, Hong Kong (Special Administrative Region passports only), Japan, Macao Special Administrative Region, Malaysia, Maldives, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan (if your passport has a personal ID number on the photo page)

Europe
Andorra, Monaco, Vatican City State.

Middle East
Israel.

North America
Bahamas, Canada, Mexico, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, USA.

Oceania
Australia, Nauru, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Tonga.

South and Central America
Argentina, Belize, Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Trinidad and Tobago, Uruguay.

* Visited the UK 4 times in the previous 24 months as a Business visitor, General visitor, Member of a diplomatic mission, Academic visitor, Entertainment or sports visitor, In transit - passing through the UK, Parent of a child in a UK school or Medical visitor. This generally includes tourists.

* Hold a valid visa in the categories Tiers 1, 2, 4 or 5 (excluding Creative/Sporting concession), Indefinite Leave to Remain, Naturalisation, UK Ancestry, Family member or spouse/partner. Note that EEA family permits, discretionary leave and leave outside the rules are excluded.

The application cost is Ł70 of which Ł50 is refunded if the application is rejected. Renewal costs Ł50 each year and changes of document details cost Ł20.

Registered Travellers are able to use the faster entry lanes (generally EU lines) when going through the UK Border at Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, East Midlands, Edinburgh, Gatwick (special registered traveller line), Glasgow, Heathrow, London City, Luton, Manchester, Southend and Stansted airports (or, alternatively, the ePassport gates if they have a biometric passport; while the ePassport gates at LHR T3 & T4 are being renovated the FastTrak lines can be used or the EU lines can be used). You will not have to fill in a landing card. (you do still need to carry your visa or BRP (biometric residence permit))

In addition, Registered Travellers are able to go through the UK Border at the Brussels, Lille and Paris Eurostar terminals without having to fill in a landing card.

Registered Travellers who hold a UK visa will not have their fingerprints checked at the UK Border.

Registration link: https://www.gov.uk/registered-traveller
Some extra information from Gatwick Airport is here.
Older terms and conditions of the initial trial are recorded in post 78.
Print Wikipost

Registered Traveller Scheme - easier entry for regular visitors to the UK

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2017, 6:30 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Also I can now confirm that I received my confirmation of renewal, and I do not need to go through the non-UK line for an interview after renewal either.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 6:48 am

That's great news dylanks. Hopefully the process wasn't too laborious!

Thanks for sharing your experiences. My wife and I have been discussing moving back to the UK (from the US) so RTS might be something we look into for her if we do that.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Simon Schus

Hopefully those that have RTS are finding it a good use of money
I can't think of any circumstance where RTS is considered a 'good use' of money. It's an outrageous rip off, especially when compared to Global Entry (which is exceptional value for money and the benefits it provides).

What bugs me the most about RTS, apart from the insane yearly cost, is the requirement to make >4 trips. What if I'm just wealthy and want to use the e-Gates with my US passport? The UK government (weak and wobbly idiots) says,

'No, sorry old chap, we're not in the business of taking your money which we make an obscene profit on, as you haven't had >=4 trips to the UK in the last 12 months'.

Insane. The US is so far ahead of the UK for trusted travellers.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by toph3r
What bugs me the most about RTS, apart from the insane yearly cost, is the requirement to make >4 trips. What if I'm just wealthy and want to use the e-Gates with my US passport?
Possibly doing four trips gives the UK a good idea about your movements and immigration history.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by toph3r

'No, sorry old chap, we're not in the business of taking your money which we make an obscene profit on, as you haven't had >=4 trips to the UK in the last 12 months'.
As per the wiki an the RTS webpage it's 4 visits in 24 months.

Hardly an excessive number is it?
Old Sep 23, 2017, 4:33 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
Originally Posted by dylanks
Or not... received this follow-up today:

We recently sent you an email invitation to add children to your Registered Traveller membership.

This email was sent in error as the service is not currently available.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Interesting, I've just received the same 'add your children' email today (a few months after yours) so maybe they are now finally in a position to start to be able to do this service?

Conditions look the same so won't repost them (for those interested dylanks posted them in this post)...Although I do smile as I have no children and from all the profiling that the UK could have done on me by now, surely they know this...(or could know it)...but hey, still good for those that may be wishing to add the kids.

Safe travels.

Last edited by BotB; Sep 23, 2017 at 4:36 am Reason: adding link to the previous post with conditions
Old Sep 23, 2017, 12:58 pm

Has anyone changed their immigration category ? I have a new immigration category as of today (but BRP hasn't been issued). I've updated it online, but wonder if I'll have that challenged.

To make things more difficult, I fly out of the UK likely before the BRP arrives!
Old Oct 13, 2017, 11:31 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
For those who have renewed, can you change passport details during the renewal process, or do you have to change passport details before/after the renewal and incur the Ł20 document change fee?
Old Oct 14, 2017, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by stanj
For those who have renewed, can you change passport details during the renewal process, or do you have to change passport details before/after the renewal and incur the Ł20 document change fee?
From memory it's a question as part of the renewal, and if you change the details, you need to pay the Ł20.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
Has anyone changed their immigration category ? I have a new immigration category as of today (but BRP hasn't been issued). I've updated it online, but wonder if I'll have that challenged.

To make things more difficult, I fly out of the UK likely before the BRP arrives!
To answer my own question... You request the change online, they get back to you and tell you to present Brp to an agent when arriving next time to update. Your egate registration (I understand) is cancelled at that point.

Change of immigration category requires you to present new BRP to an agent, get stamped into the country and fill out a landing card! Fingerprints too.

The next day you get an email saying you've been re registered into RTS.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:56 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
From memory it's a question as part of the renewal, and if you change the details, you need to pay the Ł20.
Thanks for the info. So sounds like no matter how/when you change passport details, they charge you the Ł20.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:02 am
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by stanj
Thanks for the info. So sounds like no matter how/when you change passport details, they charge you the Ł20.
Indeed, had to renew passport and pay the fee this month (Ł20) with RT renewal soon to follow...

Had same instructions to use a desk with a border agent to check and confirm the details before I could use RT in other lanes (e lanes, etc...) when I did that, they did ask me if I had applied online as otherwise it wouldn't work and indeed they did check their system for confirmation.

Definitely would suggest that people don't try it on (not updating the system and then just using the lane with the new passport)...as that looks like it will backfire.

Notice that now they put a sticker on the back of the passport to indicate that you are RT enrolled and checked...no more stamps or writing in the passport. Not sure how long the sticker will last but we'll see. (same graphic and colours as the current year RT card).

Safe travels
Old Dec 21, 2017, 4:40 am

Just renewed again and was checking the links provided in the email they send...noticed that Bristol is now part of registered traveller as well...so wiki is not up to date (but I don't know details of each airport to be able to put any changes into the right section, maybe someone that travels more can correct it accordingly.

The link to where registered traveller is now accepted is: https://www.faster-uk-entry.service.gov.uk/about#where

The link leads to this info: (as of today at least!)

You can use Registered Traveller at:
  • Gatwick
  • Heathrow
  • Birmingham
  • Manchester
  • Bristol
  • East Midlands
  • Edinburgh
  • Glasgow
  • London City
  • Luton
  • Stansted
  • Paris, Brussels and Lille (Rail Terminals
Good news for me, hopefully for others as well.

For info, the renewal email does talk a bit about the new stickers they are using and put on passports...This was the main body of the email:

You have successfully renewed your Registered Traveller membership.

Your membership lasts until xx/xx/xxxx.

At participating airports, ports and rail terminals you:
  • can use the UK/EU passport lanes
  • can use the e-Passport gates if you have a biometric ‘chip’ passport
  • won't have to fill in a landing card
You will still need to show your visa or Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) card when entering the UK.

You should have been given a membership card or membership passport sticker when you completed your membership at passport control. Show this card or sticker when you arrive in the UK so you can join the correct passport lane.

Your passport is proof of membership - the card or sticker lets airport staff know you're in the right passport lane.

Safe travels.

Last edited by BotB; Dec 21, 2017 at 4:47 am Reason: adding info about sticker and visa/residence permit...
Old Dec 22, 2017, 2:57 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by BotB
Just renewed again and was checking the links provided in the email they send...noticed that Bristol is now part of registered traveller as well...so wiki is not up to date (but I don't know details of each airport to be able to put any changes into the right section, maybe someone that travels more can correct it accordingly.

The link to where registered traveller is now accepted is: https://www.faster-uk-entry.service.gov.uk/about#where

The link leads to this info: (as of today at least!)

You can use Registered Traveller at:
  • Gatwick
  • Heathrow
  • Birmingham
  • Manchester
  • Bristol
  • East Midlands
  • Edinburgh
  • Glasgow
  • London City
  • Luton
  • Stansted
  • Paris, Brussels and Lille (Rail Terminals
Good news for me, hopefully for others as well.

For info, the renewal email does talk a bit about the new stickers they are using and put on passports...This was the main body of the email:

You have successfully renewed your Registered Traveller membership.

Your membership lasts until xx/xx/xxxx.

At participating airports, ports and rail terminals you:
  • can use the UK/EU passport lanes
  • can use the e-Passport gates if you have a biometric ‘chip’ passport
  • won't have to fill in a landing card
You will still need to show your visa or Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) card when entering the UK.

You should have been given a membership card or membership passport sticker when you completed your membership at passport control. Show this card or sticker when you arrive in the UK so you can join the correct passport lane.

Your passport is proof of membership - the card or sticker lets airport staff know you're in the right passport lane.

Safe travels.
Count me confused. I did see Bristol included somewhere before, and then when I had my application done at the end of September the email sent to me didn't have Bristol included.

And surprisingly this shows gov.uk can't agree as to whether Bristol's included or not.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by MeltingAlf
Count me confused. I did see Bristol included somewhere before, and then when I had my application done at the end of September the email sent to me didn't have Bristol included.

And surprisingly this shows gov.uk can't agree as to whether Bristol's included or not.
Interesting, there does seem to be conflicting information on the gov.uk sites depending on which route you access the info on registered traveller...

If one uses the link with gov.uk at the beginning of the address, it takes one to a page that doesn't list Bristol, whereas if you follow the one I received in my email, it takes one to a page with www.faster-uk-entry.service.gov.uk/about and does show Bristol...

I did also smile when I decided to check their T's & C's and found the link doesn't work...

So, will just have to see if someone tries Bristol and then hopefully lets us know...

Thanks for pointing this out, hoping Bristol is now included!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.