Reload this Page >

Registered Traveller Scheme - easier entry for regular visitors to the UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 24, 2013, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BotB
The Registered Traveller Scheme is intended to allow easier entry for regular visitors to the UK.

The scheme is available for regular travelers to the UK who have a passport issued by

Africa
Botswana, Namibia, Seychelles.

Asia
Brunei, Hong Kong (Special Administrative Region passports only), Japan, Macao Special Administrative Region, Malaysia, Maldives, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan (if your passport has a personal ID number on the photo page)

Europe
Andorra, Monaco, Vatican City State.

Middle East
Israel.

North America
Bahamas, Canada, Mexico, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, USA.

Oceania
Australia, Nauru, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Tonga.

South and Central America
Argentina, Belize, Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Trinidad and Tobago, Uruguay.

* Visited the UK 4 times in the previous 24 months as a Business visitor, General visitor, Member of a diplomatic mission, Academic visitor, Entertainment or sports visitor, In transit - passing through the UK, Parent of a child in a UK school or Medical visitor. This generally includes tourists.

* Hold a valid visa in the categories Tiers 1, 2, 4 or 5 (excluding Creative/Sporting concession), Indefinite Leave to Remain, Naturalisation, UK Ancestry, Family member or spouse/partner. Note that EEA family permits, discretionary leave and leave outside the rules are excluded.

The application cost is £70 of which £50 is refunded if the application is rejected. Renewal costs £50 each year and changes of document details cost £20.

Registered Travellers are able to use the faster entry lanes (generally EU lines) when going through the UK Border at Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, East Midlands, Edinburgh, Gatwick (special registered traveller line), Glasgow, Heathrow, London City, Luton, Manchester, Southend and Stansted airports (or, alternatively, the ePassport gates if they have a biometric passport; while the ePassport gates at LHR T3 & T4 are being renovated the FastTrak lines can be used or the EU lines can be used). You will not have to fill in a landing card. (you do still need to carry your visa or BRP (biometric residence permit))

In addition, Registered Travellers are able to go through the UK Border at the Brussels, Lille and Paris Eurostar terminals without having to fill in a landing card.

Registered Travellers who hold a UK visa will not have their fingerprints checked at the UK Border.

Registration link: https://www.gov.uk/registered-traveller
Some extra information from Gatwick Airport is here.
Older terms and conditions of the initial trial are recorded in post 78.
Print Wikipost

Registered Traveller Scheme - easier entry for regular visitors to the UK

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by lalala
I received my conditional entry permit, but that means that I have to wait in a 2 hour queue to get my card on the first go around? That seems ridiculous.
If you arrive in London flying in any premium cabin, you don't have to wait that long
Old Oct 6, 2018, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
If you arrive in London flying in any premium cabin, you don't have to wait that long
Often the Fast Track lines take just as long, if not longer, than the main non-EU line. So arriving in a premium cabin does not always help.

But this is entirely dependent on the timing and the terminal - arriving first thing in the morning into T4 always seems to be a disaster, whereas I have also encountered zero lines at off-peak times in other terminals.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 10:15 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
I know this is being discussed elsewhere on the UK forum but for those that aren't aware and are considering the 'registered traveler' fees in future, please be aware that from sometime Summer 2019 some countries will not need RT status to use the e-gates. (Canada, USA, Australian, Japan and New Zealand)...

The news was announced with the budget this week and a UK Gov website with further info is here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/e...more-countries

Good news for some in future, even if we have to wait for a year to see it.

Safe travels.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by BotB
I know this is being discussed elsewhere on the UK forum but for those that aren't aware and are considering the 'registered traveler' fees in future, please be aware that from sometime Summer 2019 some countries will not need RT status to use the e-gates. (Canada, USA, Australian, Japan and New Zealand)...

The news was announced with the budget this week and a UK Gov website with further info is here:

Safe travels.
I came here to ask about the turnaround time from application to conditional approval as I've got a trip on the 14th but want do delay payment until the 1st (due to CC rewards cycle, of course), but then saw this and am now thinking I'll just save my 70 GBP instead. Hopefully this gets up and running by early in the summer!
Old Dec 21, 2018, 2:59 am

I got RT and it's great - except that my passport has NEVER worked at the egates (have tried 5 times) so I still end up at the manned counter. Officers seem as confused as I am as to why the egates don't open.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:01 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Agneisse
I got RT and it's great - except that my passport has NEVER worked at the egates (have tried 5 times) so I still end up at the manned counter. Officers seem as confused as I am as to why the egates don't open.
It pretty much fails 2/3 or so of the time for me too.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 4:37 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Originally Posted by Agneisse
I had a similar problem when I first started and found the following:

1) Maybe they didn't properly register you in the computer - also happened to me where I asked why I kept getting sent to the counter and they realized the person who logged me in the first time had done so incorrectly.
2) You really need to make sure you match your face when they scan you at the e-gate to the passport photo. I was smiling in my passport photo so if I made a grumpy face for the e-gate scanner it wouldn't open for me.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by NYTA
I had a similar problem when I first started and found the following:

1) Maybe they didn't properly register you in the computer - also happened to me where I asked why I kept getting sent to the counter and they realized the person who logged me in the first time had done so incorrectly.
2) You really need to make sure you match your face when they scan you at the e-gate to the passport photo. I was smiling in my passport photo so if I made a grumpy face for the e-gate scanner it wouldn't open for me.
Does your country allow you to smile in your passport photos? The 3 countries I have passports for all ask for a neutral face.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:28 pm

You really need to make sure you match your face when they scan you at the e-gate to the passport photo. I was smiling in my passport photo so if I made a grumpy face for the e-gate scanner it wouldn't open for me.
My wife and I both wear glasses, but are not wearing them in our passport photos. We had trouble the first few times at the e-gates while wearing our glasses. Now we take our glasses off for the e-gates and reliably get through. Of course we're squinting and bumping into things until we put our glasses back on, but it's worth it.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Originally Posted by dddc
Does your country allow you to smile in your passport photos? The 3 countries I have passports for all ask for a neutral face.
The point is- just make the same face you made when they took your passport photo
Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:36 am

The point is- just make the same face you made when they took your passport photo
Thanks all for the tips. I will try again later this week (maybe even style my hair the same way as in my passport photo...) and see if I get better results!
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by BotB

Safe travels.
Though not exactly the same, I’m due for renewal this year.. actually by 25th Feb. The only problem is that I only get my new passport delivered on 4th March.

Do you think I can still change my details with new passport number and then renew then? But is it even worth getting RT since from summer 2019 as per link above, I can get in using eGates free. Any update on this?

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Jan 31, 2019 at 11:23 am
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy

Though not exactly the same, I’m due for renewal this year.. actually by 25th Feb. The only problem is that I only get my new passport delivered on 4th March.

Do you think I can still change my details with new passport number and then renew then? But is it even worth getting RT since from summer 2019 as per link above, I can get in using eGates free. Any update on this?
If you renew with a different passport, you are still charged the passport change fee (I recall £20), so I don't see any benefit to renewing late. You do run the risk of having to pay another application fee if you let it lapse.

There's no update on the timelines for the expansion of eGates to non-UK/EU passports, but assume the date is quite flexible and may be later than UK Summer 2019.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
If you renew with a different passport, you are still charged the passport change fee (I recall £20), so I don't see any benefit to renewing late. You do run the risk of having to pay another application fee if you let it lapse.

There's no update on the timelines for the expansion of eGates to non-UK/EU passports, but assume the date is quite flexible and may be later than UK Summer 2019.
So pay the renewal fee by Feb 25th first, and then the £20 change fee later when I get my new passport?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
So pay the renewal fee by Feb 25th first, and then the £20 change fee later when I get my new passport?
You'll pay £20 regardless of which method you do. You *may* get a free extra week of Registered Traveller if you renew with your new passport when it arrives, but also run the risk of having to pay another application fee (£20) if they decide to cancel it.

A few years ago (It's in this thread somewhere) , I renewed late with no issues - but that's not guaranteed of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.