Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Registered Traveller Scheme - easier entry for regular visitors to the UK

Registered Traveller Scheme - easier entry for regular visitors to the UK

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 25, 18, 3:10 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: BotB
Wiki Link
The Registered Traveller Scheme is intended to allow easier entry for regular visitors to the UK.

The scheme is available for regular travelers to the UK who have a passport issued by

Africa
Botswana, Namibia, Seychelles.

Asia
Brunei, Hong Kong (Special Administrative Region passports only), Japan, Macao Special Administrative Region, Malaysia, Maldives, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan (if your passport has a personal ID number on the photo page)

Europe
Andorra, Monaco, Vatican City State.

Middle East
Israel.

North America
Bahamas, Canada, Mexico, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, USA.

Oceania
Australia, Nauru, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Tonga.

South and Central America
Argentina, Belize, Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Trinidad and Tobago, Uruguay.

* Visited the UK 4 times in the previous 24 months as a Business visitor, General visitor, Member of a diplomatic mission, Academic visitor, Entertainment or sports visitor, In transit - passing through the UK, Parent of a child in a UK school or Medical visitor. This generally includes tourists.

* Hold a valid visa in the categories Tiers 1, 2, 4 or 5 (excluding Creative/Sporting concession), Indefinite Leave to Remain, Naturalisation, UK Ancestry, Family member or spouse/partner. Note that EEA family permits, discretionary leave and leave outside the rules are excluded.

The application cost is 70 of which 50 is refunded if the application is rejected. Renewal costs 50 each year and changes of document details cost 20.

Registered Travellers are able to use the faster entry lanes (generally EU lines) when going through the UK Border at Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, East Midlands, Edinburgh, Gatwick (special registered traveller line), Glasgow, Heathrow, London City, Luton, Manchester, Southend and Stansted airports (or, alternatively, the ePassport gates if they have a biometric passport; while the ePassport gates at LHR T3 & T4 are being renovated the FastTrak lines can be used or the EU lines can be used). You will not have to fill in a landing card. (you do still need to carry your visa or BRP (biometric residence permit))

In addition, Registered Travellers are able to go through the UK Border at the Brussels, Lille and Paris Eurostar terminals without having to fill in a landing card.

Registered Travellers who hold a UK visa will not have their fingerprints checked at the UK Border.

Registration link: https://www.gov.uk/registered-traveller
Some extra information from Gatwick Airport is here.
Older terms and conditions of the initial trial are recorded in post 78.
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 3, 17, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by kt74 View Post
70 for 12 months?!
Sure that's not just for initial signup? Would then be 50GBP a year. Soooo worth it for me. E-gate took 5 seconds for me the other day...
Old Jan 3, 17, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj View Post
Sure that's not just for initial signup? Would then be 50GBP a year. Soooo worth it for me. E-gate took 5 seconds for me the other day...
Agree. It is brilliant. Not long until I can get a 'local' passport, but until then it's a godsend!
Old Jan 3, 17, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by kt74 View Post
This, after the Home Office gouged me a couple of months ago for 800 because they just declared my "indefinite" visa invalid, because of the risk of a fraudulent visa stamp (which THEY themselves issued).
800 for a replacement stamp to a person already known to be previously in possession of a valid visa? But I thought HM government said the UK was open for business??

Perhaps I'll write and complain on your behalf but I think Mr Hands MP has stopped opening my letters
Old Jan 4, 17, 2:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj View Post
I am not sure it's worth it to me. I can get an EU/Schengen country citizenship for less money than it costs to have RT for five years. And I am very often entering the UK faster via Fast Track than my British acquaintances from
my LHR-arriving international flights are clearing the eGates.
Old Jan 4, 17, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
I am not sure it's worth it to me. I can get an EU/Schengen country citizenship for less money than it costs to have RT for five years. And I am very often entering the UK faster via Fast Track than my British acquaintances from
my LHR-arriving international flights are clearing the eGates.
Your experience does not mirror mine, and if you think you can pay 250 for an EU/Schengen passport, I'm all ears!
Old Jan 4, 17, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
At LHR T5 today I saw a bunch of E-gate machines covered with a tarp. It looked like they were new machines. Does anyone know when they will go into service?
Old Jan 4, 17, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Aus_Mal View Post
Your experience does not mirror mine, and if you think you can pay 250 for an EU/Schengen passport, I'm all ears!
I qualify for citizenship in more than one country; and if I so much as care to do so, I can get at least one of these EU citizenships and the related passport for under 225. Just need to mail in an application, pay a fee, get the certificate and stop by the passport-issuing authority near one of my homes and pay one more fee. Voila, then I'm egate enabled for a handful of years ahead for less than 230 in fees.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 4, 17 at 7:54 pm
Old Jan 4, 17, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
At LHR T5 today I saw a bunch of E-gate machines covered with a tarp. It looked like they were new machines. Does anyone know when they will go into service?
A few weeks ago, they were repeatedly failing to meet their 25 minute commitment for egate qualified passport users. Perhaps more machines is their "solution"?

I'd much prefer a big increase in UKBF staff count working arrivals at LHR rather than more egates. But the masters like the machines.
Old Jan 5, 17, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I qualify for citizenship in more than one country; and if I so much as care to do so, I can get at least one of these EU citizenships and the related passport for under 225. Just need to mail in an application, pay a fee, get the certificate and stop by the passport-issuing authority near one of my homes and pay one more fee. Voila, then I'm egate enabled for a handful of years ahead for less than 230 in fees.
Me too, but then the new country is wondering why you aren't paying any taxes.
Old Jan 5, 17, 5:27 am

My tax exposure would be no lesser for me as a citizen only of the US than it would be as a US dual-citizen of some sorts. And it doesn't necessarily take a whole lot to be known by a country as being a non-resident for tax purposes after getting a second citizenship.
Old Jan 5, 17, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My tax exposure would be no lesser for me as a citizen only of the US than it would be as a US dual-citizen of some sorts. And it doesn't necessarily take a whole lot to be known by a country as being a non-resident for tax purposes after getting a second citizenship.
As US, yes you are right. Up to about $90K or so. But it can still be a pain in any case.

And some Euro countries are lately taking a MUCH closer look at folks who claim non-residency. Like do you own any property in that country, etc. Not sure about the UK, but Germany and France care more these days.
Old Jan 5, 17, 5:47 am

You don't live or work there ...?

I think only(?) the US is brazen enough to tax the entire worldwide income of its nonresident citizens and former residents.
Old Jan 5, 17, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Calchas View Post
You don't live or work there ...?

I think only(?) the US is brazen enough to tax the entire worldwide income of its nonresident citizens and former residents.
You're right about the US. But if you live part of the time in a Euro country, and/or own property in that country, but claim non-residency for tax purposes you may hear from that government in the future. In one fashion or another.
Old Jan 5, 17, 5:55 am

You're right about the US. But if you live part of the time in a Euro country, and/or own property in that country, but claim non-residency for tax purposes you may hear from that government in the future. In one fashion or another.
Surely that would apply whether you are a citizen or not?

I am assuming that we are all law abiding folks here and we are not tax evaders
Old Jan 5, 17, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Calchas View Post
Surely that would apply whether you are a citizen or not?
No, I'm referring to people who work outside of the country and spend less than the fixed number of days in the country for tax purposes as described by the law. Up til recently, there has never been an issue, nor are many people investigated to see actually how many days they spent in the country. But now that is changing with the new efforts to hunt down tax cheats.

Search this Thread