Reload this Page >

Registered Traveller Scheme - easier entry for regular visitors to the UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 24, 2013, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BotB
The Registered Traveller Scheme is intended to allow easier entry for regular visitors to the UK.

The scheme is available for regular travelers to the UK who have a passport issued by

Africa
Botswana, Namibia, Seychelles.

Asia
Brunei, Hong Kong (Special Administrative Region passports only), Japan, Macao Special Administrative Region, Malaysia, Maldives, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan (if your passport has a personal ID number on the photo page)

Europe
Andorra, Monaco, Vatican City State.

Middle East
Israel.

North America
Bahamas, Canada, Mexico, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, USA.

Oceania
Australia, Nauru, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Tonga.

South and Central America
Argentina, Belize, Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Trinidad and Tobago, Uruguay.

* Visited the UK 4 times in the previous 24 months as a Business visitor, General visitor, Member of a diplomatic mission, Academic visitor, Entertainment or sports visitor, In transit - passing through the UK, Parent of a child in a UK school or Medical visitor. This generally includes tourists.

* Hold a valid visa in the categories Tiers 1, 2, 4 or 5 (excluding Creative/Sporting concession), Indefinite Leave to Remain, Naturalisation, UK Ancestry, Family member or spouse/partner. Note that EEA family permits, discretionary leave and leave outside the rules are excluded.

The application cost is £70 of which £50 is refunded if the application is rejected. Renewal costs £50 each year and changes of document details cost £20.

Registered Travellers are able to use the faster entry lanes (generally EU lines) when going through the UK Border at Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, East Midlands, Edinburgh, Gatwick (special registered traveller line), Glasgow, Heathrow, London City, Luton, Manchester, Southend and Stansted airports (or, alternatively, the ePassport gates if they have a biometric passport; while the ePassport gates at LHR T3 & T4 are being renovated the FastTrak lines can be used or the EU lines can be used). You will not have to fill in a landing card. (you do still need to carry your visa or BRP (biometric residence permit))

In addition, Registered Travellers are able to go through the UK Border at the Brussels, Lille and Paris Eurostar terminals without having to fill in a landing card.

Registered Travellers who hold a UK visa will not have their fingerprints checked at the UK Border.

Registration link: https://www.gov.uk/registered-traveller
Some extra information from Gatwick Airport is here.
Older terms and conditions of the initial trial are recorded in post 78.
Print Wikipost

Registered Traveller Scheme - easier entry for regular visitors to the UK

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2015, 3:06 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Curious how others experiences are with the RT cards and going through border control...

Most of the time I use the non EU or Fast Track lanes and then need to show my ILR and a landing card...however, this week going through LHR T2 EU lanes, I only showed my current passport (without the ILR in it) and the RT card and was allowed through in no time without a stamp and without showing a landing card or the ILR in my old passport.

Would be nice to not have to fill out the landing card and also not have to carry the old passport with the ILR in it but it seems a bit hit and miss. Also great to not have additional stamps in the passport taking up pages but again curious to hear if others have consistently needed or not needed landing cards, showing ILR and stamp in passport situation (especially when using EU lanes...)

thanks,

BotB
Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:06 pm

Under the scheme definition, you do not have to fill in a landing card. As for the rest, you really should be showing your right to remain in the country (I don't think RT trumps this, but happy to be proven wrong).

I haven't used the scheme yet, but as I have a biometric passport, I expect I won't be visiting immigration except in rare occasions (eg Eurostar)
Old Apr 19, 2015, 7:20 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
I've also found it hit or miss, including being given conflicting info from agents--one said I must still show my ILR, the next said that was untrue.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Did anyone here encounter 'problems' with their application?

I submitted all my info in Feb. When I passed through about two weeks after I received the initial letter, they said that they have nothing on their systems. The officers seem to also not ask any more questions once they know that I've registered for this. But anyway I have since passed through UK 4 more times and each time they said its not in their system yet. So I write to them this week.

They said that their system shows a passport beginning with A258 and that they said that I must pay an extra £20 to change it. But my passport begins with GA258 so I think somewhere in the process , either their computer or someone inputting the info omitted the G. I replied to them that if all the other information is correct, then it clearly that it was their error when the application was submitted.

But as you know, there is no person to talk to. This is clearly their error and I don't see why I should come out with the extra 20 quid to correct their mistake. Is this how to milk us for extra dosh? Is there someone to complain to?

Edited : Update.. After writing in to complain to RTS that it was clearly their error, I received this reply..

Dear xxxx,

Thank you for your email,

We acknowledge your passport number is incorrect , we have now updated your membership record to reflect the correct number.

This will have the effect as to restart your application and you will receive your new acceptance notification in due course.

As a goodwill gesture there is no charge on this occasion.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused and your comments will be used to improve the service

Kind Regards

Registered Traveller Team
I haven't received the acceptance notification email yet.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Jun 5, 2015 at 4:22 am
Old Jun 5, 2015, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
Under the scheme definition, you do not have to fill in a landing card. As for the rest, you really should be showing your right to remain in the country (I don't think RT trumps this, but happy to be proven wrong).

I haven't used the scheme yet, but as I have a biometric passport, I expect I won't be visiting immigration except in rare occasions (eg Eurostar)
Originally Posted by Arsey00
I've also found it hit or miss, including being given conflicting info from agents--one said I must still show my ILR, the next said that was untrue.
I came into LHR T5 this past Saturday - was traveling with a non-RT friend so we used the Fast Track lane. Perfectly fine handing over my passport and RT card.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by rwoman
I came into LHR T5 this past Saturday - was traveling with a non-RT friend so we used the Fast Track lane. Perfectly fine handing over my passport and RT card.
So you have to hand over RT card with passport if you're to use the manned counters, but no RT card when you use the UK/EU lanes?
Old Jun 5, 2015, 5:18 am

In the last few months, 2 out of 3 times the system said it could not read my biometric passport in the automated lanes. The last time the immigration officer said it was rejecting most people.

Do others have a similar experience?
Old Jun 5, 2015, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by speedbird001
In the last few months, 2 out of 3 times the system said it could not read my biometric passport in the automated lanes. The last time the immigration officer said it was rejecting most people.

At LHR T4 two weeks ago, I had to swipe it twice to get it to read.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Originally Posted by speedbird001

Used it three times in May, no problems
Old Jun 8, 2015, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
So you have to hand over RT card with passport if you're to use the manned counters, but no RT card when you use the UK/EU lanes?
I would expect that you should hand over both RT and passport if you're planning to use the EU manned lanes.

Why? You're not declaring yourself as an RT user, and instead looking like a stupid tourist who accidentally joined the EU queue.

At the least, it will cause a challenge from immigration, followed by explanation. Why not make it simpler?
Old Jun 8, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
I would expect that you should hand over both RT and passport if you're planning to use the EU manned lanes.

Why? You're not declaring yourself as an RT user, and instead looking like a stupid tourist who accidentally joined the EU queue.

At the least, it will cause a challenge from immigration, followed by explanation. Why not make it simpler?
There were problems getting my passport to swipe at LHR T5 yesterday so they directed me to the UKBA agent. He took my passport, verified my RT status in the system, and said I did not need the card. Also asked to see my residence permit and I was on my way.

Very painless.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by rwoman
There were problems getting my passport to swipe at LHR T5 yesterday so they directed me to the UKBA agent. He took my passport, verified my RT status in the system, and said I did not need the card. Also asked to see my residence permit and I was on my way.

Very painless.
So we still need to travel with old passports if our residence permit was issued before our current passport?

I'd love it if all agents were trained to one simple standard. I've had at least two interpretations from agents, possibly three, which added together mean there is little value in having RT (if any trouble with egates: e-passport is sufficient/need old ppt with ILR, need RT card/don't need card, may or may not need to fill in landing card).

I won't need to renew until December, but at the moment will definitely think a bit before handing over £20 more than I did this year for an unpredictable service. With the sense that entry does not always go smoothly (and understanding that new systems sometimes take time to become normalised), I've carried all the necessary nonsense so far this year and filled in the card 'just in case'. I've not needed everything each time, but I've also yet to see that i can absolutely enter with only my current epassport, no matter what happens.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So we still need to travel with old passports if our residence permit was issued before our current passport?

I'd love it if all agents were trained to one simple standard. I've had at least two interpretations from agents, possibly three, which added together mean there is little value in having RT (if any trouble with egates: e-passport is sufficient/need old ppt with ILR, need RT card/don't need card, may or may not need to fill in landing card).
I would never travel in/out of the country with my visa/residence permit.

I have not had inconsistent experiences with agents.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 4:11 pm

Sorry, I'm confused. How did you show your residence permit if you don't travel with it?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 8:30 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Sorry, I'm confused. How did you show your residence permit if you don't travel with it?
The suffix "out" was probably left out after the word "with" in that post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.