Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Sunday Roast in London ?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2013, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Best Sunday Roast in London ?

Ok, so i live in London and i love my Sunday roasts, with a Sunday birthday coming up i thought i'd see if anyone on here has some suggestions that i'm unaware of before i book one of my usual spots.

I really don't find eating Sunday Roasts in Fine Dining restaurants and atmospheres enjoyable, so with that in mind, here are my favourites in London at the moment.

Hawksmoor, Seven Dials
The Grapes, Limehouse
Marguis of Cornwalls, Central
Mews of Mayfair
The Holly Bush, Hampstead
Lamberts, Balham
The Ship, Wandsworth

Any other suggestions for a truly memorable Sunday Roast?
Old Jul 17, 2013, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well you have 3 of my favourites - Hawksmoor, Holly Bush and Lamberts. I'd also offer the Bull and Last in Highgate.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 2:56 pm

Programs: BAEC
The Dog, as called by locals, or he Crown and Greyhound, to give it its sunday name, in Dulwich village
Old Jul 18, 2013, 1:26 am

Proper roast beef with all the trimmings is very hard for a restaurant to achieve because of all the numbers and timings etc. It is also very expensive nowadays so beware of places that offer such a meal for what looks to be a bargain price - you know, the £12.95 sort of level. At that price, the beef must be of very poor quality.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:06 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by Pausanias
Proper roast beef with all the trimmings is very hard for a restaurant to achieve because of all the numbers and timings etc. It is also very expensive nowadays so beware of places that offer such a meal for what looks to be a bargain price - you know, the £12.95 sort of level. At that price, the beef must be of very poor quality.
There's a pub up the road from where we live that does a cooked to order Sunday Roast - Beef, Lamb or Chicken with two types of potato, yorkshire pud, 3 vegetables and home made gravy for . . . . £6.95 and it's a big plate. Is it good quality? - the meat is OK, but everything else is excellent.

Last edited by Kettering Northants QC; Jul 18, 2013 at 10:16 am
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I'd also offer the Bull and Last in Highgate.
Ah, had forgotten about that one and have never been !

So, Bull and Last or Hawksmoor
Old Jul 20, 2013, 2:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
My mate's house. Sadly, not open to the public!
Old Jul 27, 2013, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Best pork: my flat
Best beef: my club

Old Jul 28, 2013, 3:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lighting
Ok, so i live in London and i love my Sunday roasts, with a Sunday birthday coming up i thought i'd see if anyone on here has some suggestions that i'm unaware of before i book one of my usual spots.

I really don't find eating Sunday Roasts in Fine Dining restaurants and atmospheres enjoyable, so with that in mind, here are my favourites in London at the moment.

Hawksmoor, Seven Dials
The Grapes, Limehouse
Marguis of Cornwalls, Central
Mews of Mayfair
The Holly Bush, Hampstead
Lamberts, Balham
The Ship, Wandsworth

Any other suggestions for a truly memorable Sunday Roast?

Simpsons in the Strand

The restaurant's speciality of Scottish beef on the bone that has been aged for 28 days for maximum flavour is carved at guests' tables from antique silver-domed trolleys - a practice that began over 150 years ago and for which Simpson's is world renowned.

www.simpsonsinthestrand.co.uk
Old Jul 28, 2013, 4:04 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by Pausanias
If a restaurant can't achieve it with all the space and equipment they have, then a pub is going to fare even worse! I remember going to a friends 30th birthday in a pub near Ely and most of us were getting the roast beef meal. We kept hearing a "ding" then two plates would be brought out, then a few minutes would pass and another "ding" and another 2 plates.. The meat was very tough.

There was a pub down King's Road that a friend raved about where we had a roast dinner earlier this year at £19 a pop. Aged beef and named herd. Came out cold, but it was tender at least!!

Seriously, I'd had better roast meals in a Weatherspoons!!

Avoid going to a French pub/restaurant and having a roast beef meal. We went to one in Greenwich a few years ago (not knowing the French connection) and the beef came out too rare for most of us.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Showbizguru
Simpsons in the Strand

The restaurant's speciality of Scottish beef on the bone that has been aged for 28 days for maximum flavour is carved at guests' tables from antique silver-domed trolleys - a practice that began over 150 years ago and for which Simpson's is world renowned.

www.simpsonsinthestrand.co.uk
My brother recommended this place when we were arranging to meet up with him and his wife for dinner during our recent holiday....he says it's great.
In the end I said a beef restaurant probably wasn't such a great idea for visiting Argentine residents. Which was a mistake as we ended up in some overpriced Italian joint in Belgravia instead.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I recommend Toby Carvery
Old Mar 19, 2017, 11:38 am

Are Sunday roasts only a midday meal? Or do pubs offer the Sunday roast in the evening as well?
Old Mar 19, 2017, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Analise
Are Sunday roasts only a midday meal? Or do pubs offer the Sunday roast in the evening as well?
Some places might, but there is a good chance they will have run out or just have a limited selection. To be honest Sunday roasts are more of an afternoon meal - sitting down around 2 and finishing at 5 before you potter off to the pub.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Some places might, but there is a good chance they will have run out or just have a limited selection. To be honest Sunday roasts are more of an afternoon meal - sitting down around 2 and finishing at 5 before you potter off to the pub.
Got it, thanks. Oh well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.