Search

GLA to Islay

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2013, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
GLA to Islay

Hoping to pick some brains on FT...

We're arriving GLA on UA at 7:30am, and want to start by going to Islay. The only LoganAir flight is at 8:30am, which would not be a safe connection.

How long should it take to get to Kennacraig, for the ferry?

Are there other ways (short of chartering a helicopter) to get to Islay?

thx.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 5:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
It's quite a long drive around to Kennacraig - the AA suggests about 2.5 hrs.

And no, there aren't. Calmac and Loganair is it.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:21 pm

Just to emphasise what Jenbel said, it's not an easy drive to the ferry terminal. The AA time must have been tested in a sports car on a day with no other traffic - that journey could easily take longer....
The WestCoastMotors / Citylink coach service from Glasgow stops at the terminal. I'm not a fan of bus travel, but these are new luxurious vehicles. A long ride, but very scenic.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:24 pm

Are you arriving in next few weeks? If you are travelling later in spring (April onwards) there is an afternoon flight.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 7:58 am

Flying is obviously the quickest way but there's nothing wrong in going by road and ferry as you'll see lots more.
It's a wondrous journey to be doing. First you'll travel beside the bonnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond - a sight that will make you want to sing. Then over to Arrochar and Loch Long before heading up the pass of the Rest and be Thankful beside the misty craggy peaks of The Cobbler before descending down to Loch Fyne the longest sea loch in Scotland some 40 miles from the sea. Passing the head of the loch will take you to the small township of Inveraray where you will gaze upon the magnificence of its castle while having your toilet break.....a wee cup of tea and a scone can be had as well if you like.
From there it's on to the old herring fishing port of Tarbert where the feel becomes more Hebridean and laid back almost as if you've travelled back in time to an age where passing miles were measured in hours not minutes.

Just relax your mind into Scottish holiday mode and you'll be alright.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 4:47 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
It's about a 3 hour drive as most of it is on twisty roads and you are more than likely going to get stuck behind a caravan or lorry, as well as having to deal with damp roads. However, if you have a rental (officially the fastest cars on the planet apart from the Astramax van) you might do it in 2.5.

But... take your time and enjoy the views. It is a spectacular drive. I do it every year and the drive to/from Kennacraig is always special.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 5:09 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Or you can take the multi-ferry route!

Drive from Abbotsinch to Gourock, ferry to Dunoon, drive to Portavadie, ferry to Tarbert, drive to Kennacraig, ferry to Port Askaig.

(I have a particular fondness for the Cowal peninsula, as I spent my stag weekend on a cycle tour of Bute and the Cowal!)
Old Mar 3, 2013, 12:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, lots of random hotel schemes...
Originally Posted by Jenbel
It's quite a long drive around to Kennacraig - the AA suggests about 2.5 hrs.

And no, there aren't. Calmac and Loganair is it.
By the time you collect bags and the like and pick up a car, I would suspect that in the best case scenario, there is no way to do it before noon.

And, it wouldn't be my choice of activity after coming off an overnight flight !!
Old Mar 6, 2013, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Thanks, all! Since we're arriving on a Wednesday (in June), the first ferry is at 1300, arriving 1455.

If I'm reading the map right, assuming the ferry is on time & I don't crash the car driving off the ship, we should be able to make it over to Caol Ila in time for their 1530 tour (the last of the day).
Old Mar 6, 2013, 11:37 am

You might be pushing it a little - depending how busy the ferry is, it can take 5-10 mins to dock and unload. And the roads on Islay are not particularly fast, so what looks like a 10 mile drive can take 20-25 mins - and Caol Ila is a bit off the beaten track.

(If the ferry goes into the other ferry port, rather than Port Ellen, then you will, easily and ignore what I've just said).

That said, when we did the Islay do, we had a similar issue at Ardbeg. So i callled in advance to check if we arrived a little late could we still come, and they assured us we could. When we arrived, they had no record of our group booking or that conversation. But it wasn't a problem, we got our own private tour, and it was the best one we got on the island

So call when you are close to arrival, to ask if it's ok to come, and let them know you are on the ferry and you should be ok.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 8:25 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Think all the ferries are still going into Port Askaig, in which case it is less than 5 minutes from the terminal (up the steep hill, first right, down the steep hill, arrive).
Old Mar 9, 2013, 5:54 am

Oh that's fine then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.