Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Inverness to Portree

Inverness to Portree

Old Feb 5, 13, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL
Inverness to Portree

Planning on arriving via train to Inverness in June and wanting to spend a few days on the Isle of Skye. Will be renting a car in Inverness so the plan is to travel to Portree driving along Loch Ness. Google maps says this route is 2.5 hours and 113 miles.

Our goal is to take our time and stop to see anything that looks interesting along the way. Are there any specific not-to-be missed sights we should look up? Does anyone have recommendations of places to stay in Portree (or anywhere in Skye for that matter)?

Our goal on Skye is to do a fair bit of hiking, especially along the coasts (Love to take in the cliff views of the sea and sea stacks), but we are also seeking any other recommendations of activities during a 3 day stay.

Thanks.
Old Feb 5, 13, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL,Marriott,Hilton, Avis, SPG
The drive will be much longer than 2.5 hours. Probably 3 hours to Kyle and another 40 minutes to Portree. When you get to Eilean Donan Castle take the first right turn and then the next right and follow the road up the hill. There's a terrific view overlooking the castle and the loch.
There are many hotels and b and b's in Portree. My favorite b and b is Willowbank. Angus and Ena will take good care of you. If I were staying in a hotel it would be Marmalade.

Check out the Talisker Distillery and then the walk to Talisker Bay.
There's also a very nice walk to the black coral beaches. Go to Dunvegan castle and go straight for about 3 miles of single track, sheep-laden road to the signposted parking area. Also a great but steep path to Neist Point lighthouse and then lunch at the Red Roof Cafe and Gallery in Glendale.

If you'd care to see pictures of the area you can get to our picture site by clicking my name, and then going to our homepage. Look at the 2012 Scotland gallery.
Have a great trip!

Last edited by rybolt; Feb 6, 13 at 6:06 am
Old Feb 6, 13, 6:24 am

To give you a flavour of the walks on Skye look at Walkhighlands as an online resource, north of Portree is the Trotternish Peninisula with some good walks around the Quiraing & the Storr. The major mountain area is the Cuillin whisch has some of the most challenging walks in Britain, but from Glen Brittle there are plenty of options one being Rubh an Dunain which starts from the campsite by the Loch. This is a coastal walk (and can be very wet underfoot) but on a reasonable day (that means one where it doesn't rain all day) has both great views of the Black Cuillin & coastal views.

Another option would be to drive to Elgol, there are a couple of local boats that run to Loch Scavaig, where you can spend some time exploring Loch Coruisk which is surrounded by the Black Cuillin. Unless you go by boat you can only get there by long hikes which would entail overnight camping including on one route "The Bad Step"

Skye has numerous walks ranging from a stroll to moutaineering. If you go prepared for the weather it is a fantastic place.
Old Feb 6, 13, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA back down to Blue, PC Plat
Originally Posted by rybolt View Post
The drive will be much longer than 2.5 hours. Probably 3 hours to Kyle and another 40 minutes to Portree.
Only if you really amble, but that's perhaps what you'll do! We locals are quite used to slow-moving tourist traffic at that time of year

On the way back, you might take the more northerly route via Achnasheen, worth it IMHO just for the views over Loch Carron on a fine day.
Old Feb 6, 13, 1:02 pm

NSFU- That's me between the lorry and the tour bus! Actually, the road is quite good in certain places but you have the bottlenecks at Nessie World and a few other roadside attractions.
I agree with the Lochcarron detour and then, possibly, the A835 north and east and back to Inverness. That's a spectacular drive.
Old Feb 10, 13, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

I'm guessing we'll be lured into at least one or two of the roadside attractions at a the very least to snap a picture or two. I would compare it to driving through South Dakota in the US and feeling you absolutely need to stop at Wall Drug after seeing all the road signs for it for hundreds of miles. Sure there is not much to it and you know it is a tourist trap, but as long as you go in with the proper expectations....
Old Feb 10, 13, 5:44 pm

Zeddy. All joking aside. I first drove that road in about 1980. This was before there was a Nessie Land and you could visit the ruins at Urquhart Castle by parking in the ditch and jumping the fence. It is truly one of the most spectacular drives you will ever do. For much of the trip you are in a valley between two ranges with a loch beside the road. If it's been wet (and that was a silly statement) there are waterfalls everywhere.
You are going to enjoy this drive and I'm envious. But I'll be there next year!
Old Feb 10, 13, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

That definitely sounds like my kind of ride then....

June can't come quickly enough!
Old Feb 11, 13, 12:06 am

Programs: A3*, A-Club PLT, AA PLT, Hilton PLT, Avis PLT, AR PLT
We did that! It was GREAT!!