Reload this Page >

London/UK on hotel points for 4 adults?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London/UK on hotel points for 4 adults?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2013, 1:54 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, LH, BA, VS, HHonors, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG, Marriott
I've never traveled before with kids or stayed with more than one more person in the same room but it's not like the hotel staff can realistically enforce how many people can actually stay at a room.
Can someone just check-in while the kids and your significant other wait in the lobby and then meet each other at the elevator?

Last edited by MVF Trekker; Mar 16, 2013 at 3:02 am
Old Mar 16, 2013, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Another update. For 5 people, I redeemed 150k Club carlson points for 2 rooms/2 nights at Plaza on the River. They allow 3 people in 1 open studio. It has very nice reviews and sometimes CC gold members get suite upgrades.

I'm not impressed by the photos but given my constraints it seems like a good choice. I value the stay at $1200 and club carlson points don't have very many good uses in the US. Outrageous retail cost of about 1700 GBP for the stay.

Last edited by mintcilantro; Mar 16, 2013 at 6:23 pm
Old Mar 16, 2013, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by mintcilantro

I have found it easy to redeem Marriott points for double beds in the US for 3-4 adults. However not all hotels in London allow 4 adults in one room. I checked Marriott and some availability disappeared when I changed from 2 adults to 4. Same with Club Carlson. It seems that 4 adults in 1 room is not common as per this thread:
I apologize for the question buy do they actually check the # of people in the room (and if yes then out curiosity when and how) either in the US or in Europe? To be honest I have never travelled in a large party in Europe so I cannot tell, but in the US I have travelled in a group of 3 adults + 2 kids and I have had no issues getting a the cheapest room in the hotel in Marriott-chain/Hilton-chain/Club Carlson-chain hotels. Just check in alone and then get all your group walk to the room? Now when I think about it, one hotel (Park Inn in Dallas) actually explicitly knew the number of people in my party at the time of check-in as they gave us 5 breakfast vouchers.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LongviewTX
I apologize for the question buy do they actually check the # of people in the room (and if yes then out curiosity when and how) either in the US or in Europe? To be honest I have never travelled in a large party in Europe so I cannot tell, but in the US I have travelled in a group of 3 adults + 2 kids and I have had no issues getting a the cheapest room in the hotel in Marriott-chain/Hilton-chain/Club Carlson-chain hotels. Just check in alone and then get all your group walk to the room? Now when I think about it, one hotel (Park Inn in Dallas) actually explicitly knew the number of people in my party at the time of check-in as they gave us 5 breakfast vouchers.
I've done this in the US as well but I didn't want to risk this in UK. I don't know how well this is enforced. I didn't want to get stuck with a cancellation or hefty charge for extra person. It's only a 9 day vacation so I want to minimize any risk of hassle.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA 1mil SPG Gold and a variety of others
Hard to find but it can be done. We travel as a family of 4 and come across this dilemma all the time. Thank goodness for forums like this.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Another update. I'm so glad I followed the wisdom of others in this forum to collect points in all programs and it saved the day. Different options are available at different times and places so having points to take advantage of them is absolutely critical. Just using CC bonuses and manufactured spending, I'm paying <$1k for 2 rooms/7 nights UK Vacation for 5 people!

- 2 nights at plaza on the river London @50k/night
- 2 nights at Crowne Plaza the city @35k/night
- 2 nights at Park Inn Cardiff @9k/night
- 1 night at Hampton Newport @5k/night
Old Jun 10, 2013, 7:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Is it four people or five people? In one room?

I know we FT'ers have an ultimate zeal to use points whenever possible, but this sounds like a very uncomfortable situation. I've done it with my golf buddies (4 people in a Spring Hill Suites type room with two doubles and a sofabed) for a night or two, but definitely not my wife and another couple!

We're doing 5 people for 2 weeks in Europe this summer and I, like you, am playing the points as best I can (SPG, HH, Carlson, PC). But always for 2 rooms for the 5 people...and in some cities I'm skipping the points and booking a 2-bedroom flat.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I said 5 people, 2 rooms, 7 nights
Old Jun 10, 2013, 8:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mintcilantro
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I said 5 people, 2 rooms, 7 nights
In that case it looks like you got excellent value for your points. ^ Have a good trip!!
Old Jul 1, 2013, 12:32 pm

I have the Plaza on the River booked for 2 nights in may, let me know how you like it.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 12:47 pm
Formerly known as iahsumr

Another option if you want a room in London to hold four is to stock up on Wyndham Rewards (on sale tomorrow via Daily Getaway) as you can use them at the Days Inn London Hyde Park for two double beds for 20k points per night. It's about $108 all-in USD for 20k points if you wanted to purchase the points tomorrow.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
My brother, his wife and 2 kids had a 2-double bed room at Park Plaza Westminster Bridge this weekend on Carlson points.

He was very positive. Best bit was that the bathroom separates both beds, creating some privacy.

Hotel is new, has a pool and is directly opposite Big Ben and the South Bank attractions.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:42 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
4 people in a London room is really pushing it unless y'all are swingers or extremely frugal.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 2:12 pm

In Europe they will pay much more attention to how many people are in the room. At chain hotels, this just means that you shouldn't all stand around together when you are checking in. At little boutique hotels where you pick up the key from the from desk each time you come in, it may actually be a problem since they would obviously notice the two small children that would have to come in with either my husband or myself. There's no real "sneaking" in.
We stayed at the travelodge that is close to Euston Station on grafton place. we booked a family room, but there were 5 of us (me, husband, adult cousin, two little ones), and it is a max of four room. They reminded us that it was a max of four and I "confirmed" that not all of us were actually staying in the room. It was a tiny lobby and it was bucketing down outside, so we were all hovering inside. It wasn't a problem (other than the crappy room, and the fact that we were really pushing it by having 5 in there), but they did ask. So, if you're going to do this trick, definitely have one person check in while the rest of the party wait somewhere else. It will be easier to not have to lie and raise their suspicions.
And also, do not stay at this "hotel", unless you are truly desperate for a cheap crappy room close to Euston Station. :-)
Old Jul 3, 2013, 3:06 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Most hotels in Europe and the UK have enforced maximum occupancy standards and fire regulations. So trying to sneak a couple of extra people in the room can result in being deny any room. Also the hotel can be heavily fined for exceeding maximum occupancy.

Rooms are much smaller and the bedding situation very different. A single room (for one person) may have only one single sized bed. A twin room will have to single beds. A double may have one double sized bed, ect. These are very common in hotel rooms. So just booking a double and expecting two beds can find a person sleeping on the floor.

Best to look for family rooms or suites. Just be very careful lying about how many people are actually occupying the room.

Yes, hotels, even chain hotels, have been known to knock on the door and ask how many people are staying in the room. If more than allowed they will require a second room, or at least an extra person charge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.