Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cover charge at restaurants in London?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2012, 7:01 am

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
Originally Posted by Morland
D&D made a big song and dance about this in 2009 when they got rid of service charges... however at some point in the last couple of years they have quietly brought them back. I guess they weren't getting enough as discretionary service.
I think this was partly to do with them being seen to use the service charge to prop up employees' wages:
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/quagl...s-6729926.html

One of the papers (either the Guardian or the Standard) also campaigned against them because the restaurant would often keep a cut of the service charges before passing it on to the staff. If the menu or the bill doesn't say, I have no problems with asking the waiter where the service charge (or gratuity left on a credit card) goes, and if they don't get to keep all of it, knock it off and leave an equivalent cash tip.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by stifle
No it doesn't. Cash tips are considered a gift from the customer to the server, and are not even liable for income tax unless more than €3000 is paid from a particular customer to a particular server in one tax year.

[This refers to Ireland, in case someone is tempted to quote it out of context.]
The difference with the UK treatment is that the service charge too is not part of the restaurants take, but that of the server, although some processing deduction can be made and is specified, may have some sharing or tronc system in place. This is somewhat different from net pricing in most European countries where there is no attempt to break down the bill into service / non-service parts.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles
I am fine with adding a service charge, it saves messing about over what to give.
Unless the service is exceptional for the price paid, why give anything? London is not America!

Originally Posted by Raffles
What is worse, I find, is establishments which do not add a service charge and only charge your credit card for the exact bill! You then need to find cash - in real coins and notes - to leave a tip, which can be tricky if you don't have much cash, or small notes, on you!
Apart from air tickets, rent and a few other things I normally pay for everything in cash. It is surprising how quickly the 50s and 20s disappear!

But what is also very surprising is how many establishments do not seem to be geared up to receiving payment in cash.

Many times I have noticed that a restaurant will have to go to the back and find the necessary coins and notes for correct change.

Old Nov 5, 2012, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
Apart from air tickets, rent and a few other things I normally pay for everything in cash. It is surprising how quickly the 50s and 20s disappear!
Interesting. So you don't get annoyed by all the small change? You don't feel you're missing out on a lot of potential airline miles, etc, by not using a credit card for such transactions?
Old Nov 5, 2012, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Sunny 1
Regarding the "discretionary service charge"... Do we just draw a line through the "tip line" on the credit card receipt?
When a service charge is already included and the tip line on the credit card slip is left open I like to write the word "CHEEKY" in the space.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 4:19 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Wingnut
When a service charge is already included and the tip line on the credit card slip is left open I like to write the word "CHEEKY" in the space.
I love it! . Can I steal it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.