Wiki Posts
Search

Cover charge at restaurants in London?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I am fine with adding a service charge, it saves messing about over what to give.

Although I admit I did feel annoyed recently when somewhere I go a lot kicked theirs up from 12.5% to 13.5%, which is slowly becoming the norm in London.

What is worse, I find, is establishments which do not add a service charge and only charge your credit card for the exact bill! You then need to find cash - in real coins and notes - to leave a tip, which can be tricky if you don't have much cash, or small notes, on you!
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Sunny 1
Thank you, and I totally agree with you about establishments automatically adding a service charge. Let us be the judge of that.
A few years ago, a restaurant group decided to stop applying this automatically - D&D I think. There was a good article in the Standard about it, but when they went to other restaurants for comment, they basically said they couldn't afford NOT to add the charge, which tells a story on its own.

There haven't been many occasions when I've refused to pay it, but the consequences were varied, from gracious apologies to being chased out the restaurant by the waiter.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 5:59 am

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
A few years ago, a restaurant group decided to stop applying this automatically - D&D I think. There was a good article in the Standard about it, but when they went to other restaurants for comment, they basically said they couldn't afford NOT to add the charge, which tells a story on its own.
D&D made a big song and dance about this in 2009 when they got rid of service charges... however at some point in the last couple of years they have quietly brought them back. I guess they weren't getting enough as discretionary service.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 7:15 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by gbearbuck
I don't recall a cover charge at any London restaurant, however we didn't eat at any of the high end spots in London (Paris was also on that itinerary, we saved the high end restaurants for Paris).
As someone who lived 15+ years in London, still has a flat there, still visits regularly and who eats out when in town, I would agree with this comment. I cannot recall ever seeing a cover charge in a London restaurant (though I will from now on look a little more carefully at the bill). As others have commented there are plenty of "service charges" of 10%, 12.5% etc but the Americans here need to understand that this is in lieu of a tip.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Thank you, and I totally agree with you about establishments automatically adding a service charge. Let us be the judge of that.
To clarify, being an "American" we have a different tipping culture than other countries. We are accustomed to paying 20% as a tip, sometimes a little more if the service was extraordinary. However, our waiters are not paid a "typical" minimum wage either. So, when the establishment adds 12.5% for service, that's actually "saving" us money.. Well, on second thought, maybe not considering the VAT is higher than our taxes. I guess it all works out in the end. Thank you all VERY much for educating us Americans about not adding any more $ on top of the added service charge.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Not sure of the origin of some of the posters in this thread, but I generally find the charges in London to be reasonably exclusive compared with those in the US. 12.5% is about the norm for tipping, so I don't really object if it's included. Cover charges are still uncommon, although one does see them sometimes when the breads / olives etc. are particularly good - and we have to remember that restaurateurs have lost the revenue stream from mineral water, by and large.

This compares with the San Francisco, where they add tax at c9%, a "healthy SF charge of 2.5% and expect a tip of approaching 20%. So the final bill is around 30% higher than what is printed, rather than around 13% higher.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:35 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Automatic service charging really bothers me. Its one thing where the whole thing is seamlessly incorporated into the pricing, but adding a service charge automatically is inappropriate. I get it when you have 6 or more tables, because of the extra work involved, but its completely wrong when you have a normal 2 or 4 top. Tipping is supposed to reward service.

To clarify, being an "American" we have a different tipping culture than other countries. We are accustomed to paying 20% as a tip, sometimes a little more if the service was extraordinary. However, our waiters are not paid a "typical" minimum wage either. So, when the establishment adds 12.5% for service, that's actually "saving" us money.. Well, on second thought, maybe not considering the VAT is higher than our taxes. I guess it all works out in the end. Thank you all VERY much for educating us Americans about not adding any more $ on top of the added service charge.
Accustomed to 20%? Who brainwashed you into that Sunny? 15% is the normal level, though increases in sales taxes has skewed that a bit. 20% is exceptional service.

Also, not every state allows their waitstaff to be ripped off by restaurant owners by defaulting to the pittance of a federal minimum.

Originally Posted by Raffles
I am fine with adding a service charge, it saves messing about over what to give.

Although I admit I did feel annoyed recently when somewhere I go a lot kicked theirs up from 12.5% to 13.5%, which is slowly becoming the norm in London.

What is worse, I find, is establishments which do not add a service charge and only charge your credit card for the exact bill! You then need to find cash - in real coins and notes - to leave a tip, which can be tricky if you don't have much cash, or small notes, on you!
Yeah, they should always leave a spot for it.

Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt
As someone who lived 15+ years in London, still has a flat there, still visits regularly and who eats out when in town, I would agree with this comment. I cannot recall ever seeing a cover charge in a London restaurant (though I will from now on look a little more carefully at the bill). As others have commented there are plenty of "service charges" of 10%, 12.5% etc but the Americans here need to understand that this is in lieu of a tip.
The problem I have with this "understanding" is that the service charges are incorporated into the total price in places like Germany and France, where waitstaff are essentially paid a commission on their sales, in addition to their normal wages. I don't see why they can't do this in the UK, where base level wages for waitstaff are actually pretty reasonable (bartenders are another story - they are often paid crap and some places don't allow them to be tipped).
Old Oct 30, 2012, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
You are perfectly within your rights to request a discretionary service charge be taken off the bill, and leave your own tip (or nothing, if appropriate) in lieu. It's courteous, but not at all necessary, to briefly speak to the manager if you've decided not to leave a tip.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

N1120A be nice. "Accustomed to 20%? Who brainwashed you into that Sunny? 15% is the normal level, though increases in sales taxes has skewed that a bit. 20% is exceptional service. " When dining out, which is not often, we frequent the same places and get to know the staff and tip as we feel appropriate.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 3:12 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by N1120A
Automatic service charging really bothers me. Its one thing where the whole thing is seamlessly incorporated into the pricing, but adding a service charge automatically is inappropriate. I get it when you have 6 or more tables, because of the extra work involved, but its completely wrong when you have a normal 2 or 4 top. Tipping is supposed to reward service.
Personally I think that the service charge that is added in the UK only slightly less irritating than than the US tip culture. If tipping was there to genuinely reward service maybe, but that is clearly no longer the case in the United States. It is effectively just as mandatory as the British service charge, only difference being the US "mandatory" tip is at a higher percentage than the average British service charge.

In either case though I find it tedious that on both sides of the Atlantic this industry cannot sort its act out, pay people a proper wage, abolish tips and then let the market decide whether or not "service" is any good. If it isn't, restaurants will fail.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 4:04 am

In the UK the discretionary service charge is now largely a VAT avoidance dodge.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 4:23 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
How useless it is to offer an incentive for good service at the end of a meal.
The best thing would be to have a side table on which diners could place (or write) a tip at the start of the meal and make deductions and additions during the meal - providing real time feedback to the wait staff and enabling them to adjust service appropriately. Ideally, you'd want the kitchen to have visibility of the tip table too, so that they can also determine who's worth trying hard for.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by jedikiah
In the UK the discretionary service charge is now largely a VAT avoidance dodge.
They sorted that out mightily fast in Ireland by making service charges (discretionary or not) carry VAT.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 6:05 am

Does that apply to cash tips as well ...
Old Oct 31, 2012, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No it doesn't. Cash tips are considered a gift from the customer to the server, and are not even liable for income tax unless more than €3000 is paid from a particular customer to a particular server in one tax year.

[This refers to Ireland, in case someone is tempted to quote it out of context.]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.