Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which immigration/passport queue to use

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Which immigration/passport queue to use

Quick question - if a man and wife (one EU Schengen citizen/one US citizen) enter the UK at LHR, can they queue in the faster EU line together? I know when entering the US it is permitted to use the US residents queue together.

Thanks
Old Oct 22, 2012, 3:52 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by lancebanyon
Quick question - if a man and wife (one EU Schengen citizen/one US citizen) enter the UK at LHR, can they queue in the faster EU line together? I know when entering the US it is permitted to use the US residents queue together.

Thanks
Officially its not allowed, but my experience is that they often don't mind. They may send you to a 'non EU booth', but probably not to the back of the queue so it may be worth trying. (Mrs t is an EU citizen now, so we dont have that problem anymore )

By the way, Schengen has nothing to do with this as the UK is outside the Schengen area. But EU (+ UK) has its own queues (as you know) and as all Schengen is inside EU (with exception of Switzerland), this is immaterial in this case.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by thijsseh
... and as all Schengen is inside EU (with exception of Switzerland), this is immaterial in this case.
And also Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein – all non-EU countries that are inside the Schengen area. (Pedantic, I know, since it makes no difference to the OP's question.)
Old Oct 22, 2012, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Last time we did this the UK/EU person did not have the correct stamp, was directed to the man that seems to have the only stamp, who then said "I am closed, I have to interview this person, you will need to join another queue". Tossers.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 4:54 am
Original Poster

Officially its not allowed, but my experience is that they often don't mind. They may send you to a 'non EU booth', but probably not to the back of the queue so it may be worth trying. (Mrs t is an EU citizen now, so we dont have that problem anymore )
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Last time we did this the UK/EU person did not have the correct stamp, was directed to the man that seems to have the only stamp, who then said "I am closed, I have to interview this person, you will need to join another queue". Tossers.
Seems hit and miss then. Probably have to guage it by how many people are in the non-EU line and whether it's worth it to take a chance or not. Thanks
Old Oct 22, 2012, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by Christopher
And also Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein – all non-EU countries that are inside the Schengen area. (Pedantic, I know, since it makes no difference to the OP's question.)
What may, however, be relevant to others that might look at this thread in the future is that most (if not all?) UK airports treat citizens of non-EU Schengen countries the same as they treat EU nationals - the "EU" queue actually says "EU/EEA and Switzerland" at most airports.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Aviatrix
What may, however, be relevant to others that might look at this thread in the future is that most (if not all?) UK airports treat citizens of non-EU Schengen countries the same as they treat EU nationals - the "EU" queue actually says "EU/EEA and Switzerland" at most airports.
All airports in the UK, I think, since citizens of EEA non-EU countries and of Switzerland have the same rights (in practical terms) to enter the UK as EU citizens (albeit under different bits of legislation). Also, holders of a right of abode certicate can also use the UK/EU/EEA/Switzerland gates at UK ports of entry, since they have the same (absolute) right to enter the UK as do British citizens.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I think in some airports some of the agents staffing EU desks may not be trained to interview/question non-EU arrivals.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by stifle
I think in some airports some of the agents staffing EU desks may not be trained to interview/question non-EU arrivals.
But... non-EU spouse of EU citizen has a more-or-less automatic right of entry when travelling with EU spouse, so this should not be an issue in this particular cases
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
You're not accounting for UKBA bureaucracy :/
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But... non-EU spouse of EU citizen has a more-or-less automatic right of entry when travelling with EU spouse, so this should not be an issue in this particular cases
The issue is if they need a stamp in their passport as it would seem that only certain people can do that now. That or they are cutting back on the number of stamps that they give to staff and they are having to share it around.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 9:33 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
We've done this many times -- my wife is a US citizen. You can join the EU queue together, but make sure you've filled out a landing card. Never had the issue of not having stamps, so I find that one experience rather the exception not the rule.

As a point of interest, I find that the US does not allow the US/non-US parties to both join the US queue. I'm interested to hear that the OP had found it to be so.

tb
Old Oct 28, 2012, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trueblu
We've done this many times -- my wife is a US citizen. You can join the EU queue together, but make sure you've filled out a landing card. Never had the issue of not having stamps, so I find that one experience rather the exception not the rule.

As a point of interest, I find that the US does not allow the US/non-US parties to both join the US queue. I'm interested to hear that the OP had found it to be so.

tb
I have found this to be true as well. I often go down the US queue unprompted, and am often directed there by CBP when the arrivals hall is full of people arriving needing visa processing. In fact a CBP person once told me "don't even wait to be asked". YMMV.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 3:18 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Although that is more or less true, the spouse of an EU citizen who has the nationality of a 'visa country' still requires a visa ('entry permit' it appears to be called in the UK). Now that visa is granted more or less automatically (by European law it cannot be denied unless on very specific grounds), it is still a pain in the you-know-where. And if you don't have that visa, they will probably give you an enormous amount of uphill before allowing you into the country (although I don't believe they can refuse you, except for the same very specific grounds as above - like when the spouse is a known criminal)
Old Oct 28, 2012, 6:36 am

Although that is more or less true, the spouse of an EU citizen who has the nationality of a 'visa country' still requires a visa ('entry permit' it appears to be called in the UK).
I'm aware of the need for an entry permit for visa nationals... but as my reply was aimed at the OP (whose spouse is a US citizen) I didn't mention it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.