Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page > Car Rental Insurance

Car Rental Insurance


Old Aug 27, 12, 12:31 pm
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: YOW
Programs: AC Elite (waddya mean it's expired?), HHonours Gold, bunch of other stuff
Posts: 858
Car Rental Insurance

I'm going to be renting a car in London for a trip through England, Wales and Scotland next month.

I'm covered by my Amex AeroplanPlus Gold card for CDW, but not medical or liability. I have health coverage, but my auto insurance policy does not cover rentals outside Canada/US.

So what to I have to buy at the rental counter for liability? What happens if I don't have it and there is an accident with a 3rd party liability issue? What traps do I need to watch for at the rental counter?

Would be grateful for any advice from those who have navigated these waters before me.
AC110 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 12, 1:33 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Biggleswade
Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Posts: 12,839
Check the rental T&Cs. Liability (3rd party) insurance is mandatory in the UK, and so may be included in the rates. However, some companies and booking sites allow customers from North America to book rentals without this insurance, but it's pretty inconsistent. If you don't have any such insurance, you'll be driving illegally.

As for medical, I'm not aware of any UK car hire companies that cover this, as we're covered by the NHS (although you do have to pay a contributory fee for motor accidents). However, I'm a local, so wouldn't be aware of such schemes anyway
stut is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 12, 2:16 pm
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: London
Posts: 1,052
You need to read the reservation quotes in great detail - they can vary.

As a generalisation, all the main companies in the UK include 3rd party cover (because it is a legal requirement) - but will leave you with an excess which is typically 800 on "normal" cars and upward of 1,000 on "premium" models.

UK companies are much more thorough on damage checks (every scrape matters) than you may be used to in North America....

You shoul get health insurance separately. The NHS will deal with any emergency (and deal with you immediately without any question or financial check) but once you are recovered they are likely to persue you for their costs.
rcspeirs is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 6:45 am.

Home - News - Forum - Hotel Reviews - Glossary - Contact Us - Airport Code Lookup - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Cookie Policy - Advertise on FlyerTalk - Archive - Top

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by Flyertalk.com. Copyright 2017 FlyerTalk.com. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.