Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

The Ongoing LHR Taxi/Minicab (Car Service) Discussion

The Ongoing LHR Taxi/Minicab (Car Service) Discussion

Old Jun 9, 2011, 11:50 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Caught. Umpire rules duplicate, merges innings, overstretches metaphor.

stut
UK & Ireland
Old Jun 9, 2011, 2:39 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Mornington Crescent!?
Old Jun 9, 2011, 2:59 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Hardly. The Whipps Cross convention - yes that one - of 1954 makes it quite clear that a pre-emptive cross-hatch manoeuvre such as that is barely tolerable. I think you should retreat to Totteridge & Whetstone to consider your options.
NoizeBoy likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 2:13 am

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
Originally Posted by noreaga
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I definitely looked into Addisson Lee and a few other firms, but they were extremely pricey ! I do like the fact that they are reliable and offer good service, but I cannot really afford the cost.
As I discovered last week, Addy Lee charge a premium for credit card bookings. If you've not tried getting a quote for paying by cash, you might find they're suddenly a bit more competitive.

Originally Posted by stut
Hardly. The Whipps Cross convention - yes that one - of 1954 makes it quite clear that a pre-emptive cross-hatch manoeuvre such as that is barely tolerable. I think you should retreat to Totteridge & Whetstone to consider your options.
Lawks! If we're playing a post-1987 rule set, I might try playing Star Lane.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by stut
I think you're mistaken - the Lowry ruling of 1961 clearly indicates that there is small gap at Ongar that allows the reverse switch, without entering downloop upline. It is within the rules, though maybe unpalatable to a purist.
NoizeBoy likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 10:19 pm
BCH

More recent LHR car service recommendations?

Please. Going from LHR to NW7. I checked out Airport Direct recommended in the London Airports FAQs, but the only reviews out there are not flattering.

Also, is it possible to have the driver meet us 2 hrs after landing time, and by the Arrivals Lounge?

Thanks!
Old Aug 5, 2012, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would like to point out I havent used this firm but appear to have a good review.

http://www.airportexecutive.co.uk/

http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/airport-executive-london
Old Aug 14, 2012, 9:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold
More recent LHR car service recommendations?

We use embarque (division of Carey limo) their hybrid vehicles -you can get quote online, you meet them curbside
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:38 am

It's been about a year and a half (so not the most current), but we used Green Tomato Cars and they were fine. Note that they drive Priuses, so if you have a lot of luggage, that might not be the best option.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:12 am

How about Airport Transfer? Are they any good?
Old Aug 18, 2012, 6:12 pm

I will stand by London Heathrow Cars, never had any issues, new or newish top-end cars and cheap. They will pick you up by depatures unless you want to pay for meet-and-greet.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 6:58 am

I have a couple reservations booked with Tristar in September (I decided on them after reading through the older threads on this topic).
Old Aug 26, 2012, 5:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Plat
I always use Addison Lee - large Ford Galaxy occasionally subbed for an E class - driver meets at time you set either x minutes after flight landing or set time (and you can book them about 40 minutes out if you don't want to do it until you are safely in the arrivals lounge). You can pay by card online and they have a good iPhone app to order cars when you are out/about in London (with typical maximum wait in central London being 20 minutes).
Old Aug 27, 2012, 4:29 am

Addison Lee are fine; they are the largest private car operator in London, and pretty reliable. Drivers are a mixed bunch, but if you need a quick pick-up anywhere, they are a good choice.
Annoyingly, they've stopped doing child booster seats, which means I've stopped using them. Also, the one time they provided a baby seat, it was filthy.

I now use Savile; drivers are very professional, they use S-Classes and 7 Series, and prices are not OTT.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 7:17 am

Side question: Do you tip Addison Lee/Tristar drivers?

Often I've prepaid by card and don't have cash for a tip. I'd normally round up to around 10% with black cabs and mini cabs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.