Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Restaurant in Edinburgh for private parties, after New Year?

Old Jul 14, 2012, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Hi folks, looking for any and all recommendations that might help out to plan a party for my parents this January. It's their 40th wedding anniversary, and they--and the rest of our family--are gathering in Edinburgh for the wedding of a cousin.

I'm looking for a restaurant venue that would be available for a private party of approximately 15-20 people, including children, and that would be open on January 1st or 2nd. Is it still the case in Scotland that very little is open on these dates? If that's so, we're open to later in the week, as well.

Any leads appreciated!
Old Jul 15, 2012, 3:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Yes, generally there are few places open, particularly since most places will be going like a fair on Hogmanay so they close to give their staff time off. I think you'll just need to talk to them to see what they are doing. You're trying to arrange it now, which gives them a good lead in time, and it should be a quieter time of year as well as everyone goes on post New Year diets, so I'm pretty certain you'll find something to oblige.

For that size of group, I think you are looking for places with private rooms, rather than being able to take over the entire venue. A lot would depend on your budget - downstairs at Wedgwood might be a possibility, as I seem to think it's got about 5 or 6 tables.

Some of the Victoria St places are made up of lots of smaller rooms, so again, you might be able to get one room to yourself - Grainstore is better than Maison Bleue but comes with a much larger price tag.

Oloroso has a private dining area, but only seats 8-16.

Normally I'd suggest some of the 'Room in the ... ' venues for good food at a reasonable price, but they don't have private rooms - they may be willing to take a group booking though.

That's what springs to mine on the first attempt... I'll have a think and see if there is anywhere else I can come up with.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 7:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Anna Phor
Hi folks, looking for any and all recommendations that might help out to plan a party for my parents this January. It's their 40th wedding anniversary, and they--and the rest of our family--are gathering in Edinburgh for the wedding of a cousin.

I'm looking for a restaurant venue that would be available for a private party of approximately 15-20 people, including children, and that would be open on January 1st or 2nd. Is it still the case in Scotland that very little is open on these dates? If that's so, we're open to later in the week, as well.

Any leads appreciated!
In addition to Jenbel's suggestions you could try Calistoga - http://www.calistoga.co.uk - they have a private room but that wouldn't be large enough - if they are open on 1/2 January the restaurant or bar area might be suitable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.