FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   U.K. and Ireland (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland-484/)
-   -   Exploring the Secret River Flowing Beneath London (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland/1333805-exploring-secret-river-flowing-beneath-london.html)

rwoman Apr 8, 2012 6:57 am

Exploring the Secret River Flowing Beneath London

Something different in London...the River Fleet. Although I'm not sure how easy a "tour" would be...

:)

Exploring the Secret River Flowing Beneath London

The River Fleet's long and fascinating history goes all the way back to Roman times, when it was a major river and contained one of the oldest tidal mills in the world. Later on, in Anglo-Saxon times, the river was a dock for shipping at the point where it joined the Thames in a marshy tidal basin 100 yards wide. You can still see iron hoops that may have been used to tie up ships to the banks.
Nowadays the river is still visited, but mainly by those interested in its history, and in exploration — like the robust and excellent photographer who took these images. If your curiosity has been piqued, it's possible to make arrangements with Thames Water to go down yourself and tour the river.

Swanhunter Apr 8, 2012 7:32 am

Or you can stand at Sloane Square station and watch it flow over your head. Check out the large cast iron pipe overhead just where the entrance to the E/B platform is.

EDIT that is the Westbourne instead but still cool.

Jimmie76 Apr 8, 2012 7:35 am

Sorry to be a pedant but that's not the river Fleet, rather the River Westbourne. I was there on Wednesday evening and pointed it out to a disbelieving colleague.

rwoman Apr 8, 2012 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Jimmie76 (Post 18354787)
Sorry to be a pedant but that's not the river Fleet, rather the River Westbourne. I was there on Wednesday evening and pointed it out to a disbelieving colleague.

Thanks...changed it in my post.

ajax Apr 8, 2012 8:05 am

Originally Posted by rwoman (Post 18354816)

If I may but interject: the OP was originally correct. The river referred to in the OP's link is indeed the River Fleet. The river that flows by Sloane Square is the River Westbourne. They are two different rivers.

rwoman Apr 8, 2012 8:20 am

Originally Posted by ajax (Post 18354925)
If I may but interject: the OP was originally correct. The river referred to in the OP's link is indeed the River Fleet. The river that flows by Sloane Square is the River Westbourne. They are two different rivers.

And...another fix... ;)

Thanks, ajax!

Jimmie76 Apr 8, 2012 9:38 am

Originally Posted by rwoman (Post 18354816)

Originally Posted by ajax (Post 18354925)

Sorry I was referring to the post made by Swanhunter.

ajax Apr 8, 2012 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Jimmie76 (Post 18355295)
Sorry I was referring to the post made by Swanhunter.

Yes, I think that was quite clear. Now we all agree. ^

HIDDY Apr 8, 2012 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter (Post 18354779)
Or you can stand at Sloane Square station and watch it flow over your head. Check out the large cast iron pipe overhead just where the entrance to the E/B platform is.

EDIT that is the Westbourne instead but still cool.

Here is that square pipe....although it doesn't look very "cool" to me. Unless you're into pipes I suppose. :D

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ZGrx2SwpQ4...westbourne.jpg

Swanhunter Apr 8, 2012 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 18355729)
Here is that square pipe....although it doesn't look very "cool" to me. Unless you're into pipes I suppose. :D[/IMG]

How often have you stood looking at the sky with a river over your head? :p

HIDDY Apr 8, 2012 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Swanhunter (Post 18356236)
How often have you stood looking at the sky with a river over your head? :p

Not up there with the Sloane Square station pipe but the Segovia viaduct springs to mind. :cool:

WC_EEND Apr 9, 2012 4:43 am

Originally Posted by rwoman (Post 18354670)
Something different in London...the River Fleet. Although I'm not sure how easy a "tour" would be...

seeing as the photos in said atricle come from an urbex website, I'm inclined to say that chances of a tour are slim. I'd put it as about as likely as getting to visit all of the tube's abandoned stations.

Swanhunter Apr 9, 2012 10:48 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 18356676)
Not up there with the Sloane Square station pipe but the Segovia viaduct springs to mind. :cool:

Countryside. :shudder: ;)

Jenbel Apr 9, 2012 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Swanhunter (Post 18360388)
Countryside. :shudder: ;)

Yes, that lack of grime and pollution is scary for the institutionalised ;) :p

I spent part of Saturday on the second longest canal viaduct in the UK :cool: No, I didn't walk under it just to experience that London feeling of having a river flowing over my head :D

plon Apr 12, 2012 8:21 am

Sadly, most of the hidden rivers are 'sewers' now...

River Thames:

The Langbourne (dubious – see below)
The Walbrook
The River Fleet, the largest
The Tyburn
The Tyburn Brook
The River Westbourne
Counter's Creek
Stamford Brook
River Brent (partly underground)
River Rom (partly underground)
The River Peck
The River Neckinger
The River Effra
The Falconbrook
The Graveney River

River Lea:

Hackney Brook
The River Moselle

But here's an interesting little blog entry on them: http://greatwen.com/2011/05/03/londons-lost-rivers/