Conservative party admits wrong on Heathrow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2012, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
Serves this party full of self interested idiots right for having such a stupid manifesto pledge in the first place.
While I find the tone of your post both ill-considered and quite offensive, you should note (in case you missed it) that the Labour party has exactly the same position as the Coalition, now ruling out a Third Runway.

In fact it was Labour which U-turned over the Third Runway; the Conservative Party has at least been consistent in its opposition to it. And remains so.

And Labour fought the election with the position of "no new runways in the south east, apart from at Heathrow". As well as the fudge of a policy statement that Heathrow should be "better not bigger", which does seem to contradict the first position. Utterly useless.

We'd all be back in the Dark Ages had they won. Thankfully, there's little chance of Wallace taking charge anytime soon.

Old Aug 30, 2012, 8:44 am

Programs: Executive Club Silver
It is a huge pass the parcel where each government pretends to take action but put's it on hold and hires pointless committees so the next government has to deal with it.

To be honest political views should be illegal from anything economy based or to do with infrastructure and development.

I hope the 3rd Runway and the European Policy break up the coalition, but saying that those overspending fools from Labour will be back. They are all as bad as each other and they wonder why people don't turn up to vote.

Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower
Pot Noodle

You say you would 'improve ATC to allow more landings per hour'......Can I ask you to expand? We try and do our best at all times so if we're missing anything please let us know!

oscietra

You do know how many cargo flights and ad-hoc slots there are into LHR, don't you? Not much capacity to be had there.
I am not suggesting that you are doing a bad job, I have heard that in the US an improvement to ATC means more takeoffs/landings can be conducted in New York. Maybe new technology can enable even more usage of the current runways, although as I have said it would only be useful as a temporary measure.

Originally Posted by jerumagrinberga
IMHO, the solution isn't to add a runway, or to build an airport in a marsh. A better solution would be to build a giant new airport between Birmingham and London, and take advantage of high-speed 2 construction to tie the airport into the high speed rail network- like LYS is tied in to the TGV system - kind of like the new Al-Maktoum airport in Dubai.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Makt...tional_Airport
Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
you mean the airport whose opening keeps being delayed?

IMHO I disagree. I think a ten runway airport on an island in the estuary is the way to go. 250 mph trains into central London and connected to the mainland by bridges. It could link on to HS2, HS1 etc and have a German style plane to train system where you can board a train 15 minutes after departing your plane. Lord Foster envisages Europe's largest station in his airport design. Spot on. However I do not like his peninsula design as there are more birds on coasts than several miles out at sea.
Whilst it is a good idea any new airport on land will attract idiots who choose to live nearby and therefore try to impose night curfews and restrict growth, with an Island it is a lot harder for them to do.

Originally Posted by BOH
I did despair at a quote by Justine Greening I heard today. It was (and I paraphrase) that "it is time to build on the growing consensus that a third runway is not desirable" - but the best bit was "and anyway, it is not a proper full-length runway so has very limited benefits as it will not be able to take the larger planes at LHR"

But she completely fails to mention that by the new R3 handling a good deal of the NB and short-haul WB aircraft it will free up a significant number of take-off and landing slots on the existing full-length pair of runways....so still providing a very worthwhile overall capacity increase.

A baffling (but highly predictable for a politician) statement by her
Why is someone who does not have an understanding of hubs or the importance of an efficient transportation system a Minster for Tranport? She needs putting her place.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by PotNoodle
Why is someone who does not have an understanding of hubs or the importance of an efficient transportation system a Minster for Tranport? She needs putting her place.
May I propose somewhere on the back benches?

Then the Hon Member can complain about the awfully noisy aircraft her constituents have to experience, whilst having no impact on policy.

I was brought up in the 50s/60s in Richmond, just 12 miles on final approach, in the days before quiet aircraft. If she wants to whine, she should have experienced what it was like then … actually perfectly reasonable, and nothing to get excited about at all. But, of course, these days the sound of an aircraft is a prompt for another letter to the Gruniad or the Daily Wail.

Petty, local, politics with no comprehension of any big picture other than her re-election. I earnestly hope for a Cabinet reshuffle when The House returns.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Maybe, possibly not the best time to include a link.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/l...al-growth.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/l...-capacity.html
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:39 am

Programs: BA Gold. Iberia Plus Blue, Miles and More Blue, Gulf Blue, Tesco Clubcard, Elite PAL Mabuhay
Greening is a barrister. She is excellent at arguing a brief. She also wants to get reelected as MP for Putney.

From her perspective she is doing an excellent job.

From a transport industry perspective she is hopeless. No wonder she is referred by a leading rail commentator as "Head of Hockey."
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by londonbus
Greening is a barrister. She is excellent at arguing a brief. She also wants to get reelected as MP for Putney.

From a transport industry perspective she is hopeless. No wonder she is referred by a leading rail commentator as "Head of Hockey."
Time for her to stop looking in the mirror, perhaps?
Old Aug 30, 2012, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by londonbus

And therein lies the problem with current British politics. Under Blair it became a career like any other where the intention is to further your own interests and sod the people you supposedly represent. That man has done untold damage to the UK and it seems that due to the length of his time in office now all parties know little else but to emulate his approach.

Regardless of what you think of her, the country needs another Thatcher. She had the balls to push ahead with what she thought was right for the country, not her career.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 8:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
She is excellent at arguing a brief.
Having seen on her on Newsnight, I disagree. She's not convincing at all. The core issue is that we have gotten to a place where good and talented people have many better options than politics. If someone told me they were going to be a politician I would immediately distruct them, it's not a respected profession. If we're being honest, it's partly our fault. We refuse to pay lawmakers a salary that would attract the talented, indeed there is no perfromance related element at all. The result is pond life and dead wood with half baked legislation getting through and non-entities as cabinet ministers. There are some honourable exceptions but Greening is just awful.

The last government ran out of talent completely so we they made Bob Ainsworth the Defence Secretary. Bob Ainsworth, they made Bob Ainsworth our Defence Secretary. Worse, Gordon Brown, a man who would not pass first stage assesment in the real world due to clear, apparent and fundamental people management issues was allowed to bully his way to the Premiership by forcing out a sitting PM. Now we have Nicholas Clegg stopping every half decent Tory idea, a man who has again, never had a real job. Our politicians do not have the skill set for the jobs we expect of them nor is the Civil Service in any way up to supporting them. They are blundering from one crisis to the next alas.

I'm going to stop moaning but my real and genuine worry is, I don't know how to put it right.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:59 pm

Time for this thread to stop pestering the BAEC board. Moved to UK.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by oscietra
While I find the tone of your post both ill-considered and quite offensive, you should note (in case you missed it) that the Labour party has exactly the same position as the Coalition, now ruling out a Third Runway.

In fact it was Labour which U-turned over the Third Runway; the Conservative Party has at least been consistent in its opposition to it. And remains so.

And Labour fought the election with the position of "no new runways in the south east, apart from at Heathrow". As well as the fudge of a policy statement that Heathrow should be "better not bigger", which does seem to contradict the first position. Utterly useless.

We'd all be back in the Dark Ages had they won. Thankfully, there's little chance of Wallace taking charge anytime soon.

This is a flying forum. From an airport fan's point of view I despise the Conservative Party. I do not like you spouting on about Labour. Personally I find 'Red Ed' more coherant than Nick Clogg and the Conservatives. However I hate all 3 of them and will not be taking part in elections from now on until somebody who I actually like comes onboard.

Last edited by flyingcrazy; Sep 1, 2012 at 5:05 am
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PotNoodle
I hope the 3rd Runway and the European Policy break up the coalition, but saying that those overspending fools from Labour will be back. They are all as bad as each other and they wonder why people don't turn up to vote.
Exactly, completely agree.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:54 am

Heathrow is in the wrong place for a modern airport and and a new runway would just make things for locals (ie anyone in large parts of London) even worse.

The only thing that is worse are the various estuary airports plans would just make the whole of the SE even more of a miserable place to live
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alanR
Heathrow is in the wrong place for a modern airport and and a new runway would just make things for locals (ie anyone in large parts of London) even worse.

The only thing that is worse are the various estuary airports plans would just make the whole of the SE even more of a miserable place to live
Why do you feel its in the wrong place?

I am for some expansion at BHX. However I am aware that airlines wont use it.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 1:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold

How about Milton Keynes, the locals like any form of recognition, the rest of the UK don't care about it and however big you make the airport, it will not significantly increase the amount of concrete in the area.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by origin
Why do you feel its in the wrong place?
Because of all the flights over London - which would increase if more runways were added to LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.