Passport question for Brits who FF to USA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2012, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Passport question for Brits who FF to USA

What I believe:

1) You can have two passports.
2) There is no way to add pages to a passport (unlike US)
3) You need a Visa to visit the US.
4) US immigration stamps your passport upon arrival.

Questions:

If you travel between the US and UK frequently:

Will US immigration stamp either passport once you show them the Visa?

If not, what happens when the passport containing the Visa no longer has free space?

Thanks!
Old Jan 11, 2012, 4:00 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
You don't necessarily need a visa to visit the US - it depends on your purpose of visit. You do need an ESTA, but that's a different beast. And that's lucky - the visa form asks all sorts of questions I couldn't answer.

It comes down to the purpose and frequency of visit. If you're there for tourism, visiting people, or as a business visitor (i.e. attending meetings, conferences, etc) then an ESTA is fine. If you're there to work for a period of time, or are returning frequently after staying close to the non-visa time limit, it becomes increasingly difficult to persuade immigration that you're simply attending meetings.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the fast reply. The individual in question works frequently in the US and already has a Visa.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 4:11 pm

Ah, fair enough.

Well, the US Embassy states that visas in expired passports will be accepted, provided that the visa is not damaged (for example, if a corner is cut off the passport on replacement):

http://london.usembassy.gov/faq-visa-gen.html#niv111

This would seem to imply that you can enter on one passport with the visa from another, provided you can show the visa. Of course, the usual reason for obtaining a duplicate (rather than replacement) passport is so that you can travel on one while the other is elsewhere, and so this won't help!

In the case of pages running out on one, and a new passport being issued, then I can't see any reason why the old visa shouldn't be accepted.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thank you muchly.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 4:18 pm

No problem, but do get official confirmation if you want to be sure!
Old Jan 12, 2012, 4:47 am

Programs: IHG RA, BAEC Gold, BW Diamond
If the question on 2 passports was actually two passports valid at the same time, then this is perfectly acceptable.
It can make for interesting discussions sometimes if you forget which one you entered with last time.....
Of course having a visa in each that is valid can be a challenge, but if the first that holds the visa is full...

When the first passport is full, move on to the other.
Planning ahead and paying for the extra pages can help.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 5:58 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by birdstrike
2) There is no way to add pages to a passport (unlike US)
You can't add pages, but you can apply for an extra large passport (48pp vs 32pp).

Not much use if you already have the visa, but worth knowing for the future.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 7:15 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Just to add that you need to be able to present the valid visa at immigration, regardless of whether it is on a valid or expired passport. The stamping for entry purposes is done on the valid passport presented. So if the visa passport is valid, they will usually stamp that one (unless there is absolutely no space I guess), but if it is expired, they will stamp the newer, valid passport.

With regards to space, do note that unlike some other countries, US immigration is usually content with even a tiny amount of space -- basically big enough for the stamp, not necessarily a fresh page.

tb
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:34 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
It is certainly possible to enter the US with a visa in an expired passport, provided you also have a current one. The US issues five-year (and even ten-year) visas as a matter of course. These quite often expire later than the passport does, and this is not a problem. I have friends who have shown their visa in an expired passport and presented their current one for stamping, and it has never, ever been a problem.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:52 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by trueblu
With regards to space, do note that unlike some other countries, US immigration is usually content with even a tiny amount of space -- basically big enough for the stamp, not necessarily a fresh page.

tb
And UK agents will just look for a page that doesn't have a sticker on it. I've had the same spot in my passport overstamped at UK airports so many times that it's a huge mess. My most recent arrival got a stamp on the page facing my Saudi visa, which bore Saudi stamps and a handwritten annotation from a Saudi immigration agent. The visa has expired, so I guess it's OK, but that was a really weird spot for him to stamp in my opinion.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by mtkeller
I've had the same spot in my passport overstamped at UK airports so many times that it's a huge mess.
This I have never been able to understand. Why stamp it if it cannot be read?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 2:45 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by ajax
This I have never been able to understand. Why stamp it if it cannot be read?
I'm guessing it's because I have a work visa, so the agents have to stamp the passport but the details don't really matter. Other countries' agents tend to find a blank spot to stamp.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 5:42 am

Programs: BMI DC Gold, BA Gold, LH SEN, Priority Club Platinum, Nectar purple
And UK agents will just look for a page that doesn't have a sticker on it. I've had the same spot in my passport overstamped at UK airports so many times that it's a huge mess. My most recent arrival got a stamp on the page facing my Saudi visa, which bore Saudi stamps and a handwritten annotation from a Saudi immigration agent. The visa has expired, so I guess it's OK, but that was a really weird spot for him to stamp in my opinion.
I always request that the stamp be placed on a certain page in my passport, which has made my passports last a lot longer. I've only ever had this refused in Canada, where I was told that it was up to the customs officer, not me.

Originally Posted by JRGAY
If the question on 2 passports was actually two passports valid at the same time, then this is perfectly acceptable.
It can make for interesting discussions sometimes if you forget which one you entered with last time.....
Of course having a visa in each that is valid can be a challenge, but if the first that holds the visa is full...

When the first passport is full, move on to the other.
Planning ahead and paying for the extra pages can help.
If you have two passports, it is best to use the same one for visiting the US. I have two UK passports and the one I normally used for the US was away having a visa, so I used the other one thinking that there would be no problem. It created an awful lot of questions, and they were very suspicious why I had used a different passport. They let me through in the end, but only after about 45 mins delay.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 1:27 am

I'm guessing it's because I have a work visa, so the agents have to stamp the passport but the details don't really matter. Other countries' agents tend to find a blank spot to stamp.
But why do they have to stamp the passport if that stamp itself cannot be read? It is literally a futile action. It is also following the letter of the law whilst entirely disregarding its spirit. This is what I cannot understand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.