Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

New Thames Estuary Airport in London

Old Jan 9, 12, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

This project looks very interesting. A huge new airport with high speed rail included.

They say all London airports will be full by about 2030 and locals are rejecting plans for expansion.

Do you think this is the only way they can go, or can London expand their other airports like London-Southend? (never heard of it but EasyJet now flies there)

Lord Foster now wants to take that expertise to build an Estuary Airport on the Hoo Peninsula.

He says it would have four runways and would be capable of handling 150m passengers a year.

The location has been chosen because it is 55km from London and can be reached in 30 minutes by high-speed rail.
Hong Kong Airport on Chek Lap Kok island Lord Foster's Hong Kong Airport on Chek Lap Kok island provides a blue print

But it wouldn't just be an airport - the ambitious plans for a Thames Hub would bring together rail, freight logistics, aviation, energy and its transmission, flood protection as well as regional development.

Lord Foster says it's necessary because the UK is facing 21st Century challenges including an over congested rail network and housing shortages particularly in London and the South East.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-15546956
Old Jan 10, 12, 1:49 am

There are several reasons why an airport in the Thames Estuary is problematical & has been for all the suggestions (Boris Island, Maplin Sands) since the 1940s - notably that being an estuary it's also home to an awful lot of birds.

There's also a major LNG plant a few miles away but the really big problem is the SS Richard Montgomery

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thames_Estuary_Airport
Old Jan 10, 12, 5:12 am

It will happen.

It's simply a matter of time.

Last edited by oscietra; Jan 22, 12 at 10:19 am
Old Jan 10, 12, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by oscietra View Post
It will happen.

It's simply a matter of time.
The first proposal was in 1943. I suspect "time" will be long after we are all dead and forgotten.
Old Jan 10, 12, 8:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
deleted

Last edited by Jenbel; Jul 14, 12 at 5:33 am
Old Jan 10, 12, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by Jenbel View Post
The bird problem is insurmountable. They need to find a different option.
They could just do like they did in New York and kill all the birds:

Canada Geese Culled

But in all seriousness, given the astonishing amount of NIMBYism in this country, I sincerely doubt they will ever be able to build another airport near London. Even the high-speed rail link won't be finished for another 14 years.
Old Jan 10, 12, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Silver)
The birds will as Jenbel says will kill off the estuary idea, but somewhere there will be a new airport and to meet demand there has to be work started on it soon. I have no idea where they'll put it but in the path of large numbers of birds does seem a little odd.
Old Jan 10, 12, 3:06 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by Jimmie76 View Post
I have no idea where they'll put it
The crux is that neither does anyone else. The only thing I can think of is somewhere out in Essex near Romford. No idea how feasible that would actually be, though.
Old Jan 10, 12, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by ajax View Post
The crux is that neither does anyone else. The only thing I can think of is somewhere out in Essex near Romford. No idea how feasible that would actually be, though.
I think that would require the closure of LCY... not to mention large-scale demolition of residential areas.

Does London REALLY need another airport? Are passengers figures really going to grow the way some self-styled experts are trying to tell us? There are only so many people living in the UK. There is only so much travelling people can do.

Air passenger figures have gone down, not up in recent years - and I don't think that's just because of the recession.
Old Jan 10, 12, 3:55 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe, and Carbon Conscious Travel

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Somewhere in the Chilterns seems like a good idea. After all, if you're going to lose votes there over a high speed line, you may as well go all out...
Old Jan 10, 12, 4:04 pm
Ambassador: LAN LANPASS

Programs: BAEC Gold, Avianca Lifemiles Diamond
Why can they not build the new London hub in the Olympic park? They will have no use for that land after July and it already has excellent train, tube and DLR connections and the Channel Tunnel rail link. Plus I think the number 25 runs there from Oxford Street. And it already has a bus link to STN.

I just checked on google maps, they could extend the runways straight up Hackney Marshes and tunnel the A12 under them a bit like CDG
Old Jan 10, 12, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by stut View Post
Somewhere in the Chilterns seems like a good idea. After all, if you're going to lose votes there over a high speed line, you may as well go all out...
Yeah, great idea. Just need to flatten some hills...
Old Jan 10, 12, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Could a BA or Virgin hub be created at MAN for North America/Europe/Asia connections?

Instead of connecting in London for a flight to the continent you could connect at MAN. Wouldn't there be enough traffic for that? Like BOS-MAN-Milan or Barcelona or Venice?

Also if MAN put in a flight to Tokyo or Hong Kong or Beijing wouldn't that lessen the connecting traffic in London?
Old Jan 11, 12, 4:57 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

BHX.

Now with added High Speed 2, it would be 50 min to London, 30 min to Manchester, 30 min to Leeds. Plus the existing rail infrastructure to the SW and NE. A massive proportion of England within 1 hour of the airport.

Get some true integrated ticketing, and a decent MCT, and you would be at your destination quicker and more comfortably than any domestic flight.
Old Jan 11, 12, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by mad_rich View Post
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

BHX.

Now with added High Speed 2, it would be 50 min to London, 30 min to Manchester, 30 min to Leeds. Plus the existing rail infrastructure to the SW and NE. A massive proportion of England within 1 hour of the airport.

Get some true integrated ticketing, and a decent MCT, and you would be at your destination quicker and more comfortably than any domestic flight.
Way too logical for the London-centric. They might meet some people from north of Watford

Search this Thread
Search Engine: