New Thames Estuary Airport in London

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Thames Estuary Airport in London

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2012, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by mad_rich
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

BHX.

Now with added High Speed 2, it would be 50 min to London, 30 min to Manchester, 30 min to Leeds. Plus the existing rail infrastructure to the SW and NE. A massive proportion of England within 1 hour of the airport.

Get some true integrated ticketing, and a decent MCT, and you would be at your destination quicker and more comfortably than any domestic flight.
Great idea - though knowing British governments the line will get built to Birmingham then the money will run out. Of course it would be an even better idea if there were direct links on HS2 to Heathrow and you didn't have to walk along Euston Road to make connections to Eurostar. But then that's "joined up" thinking for you.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
No please not BHX.

An airport that is rarely blighted by ATC delays, security problems, immigration hold ups (although someone needs to explain what a priority bag tag means...) and offers a week's valet parking with a reputable firm for just a shade over £50!
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
No please not BHX.

An airport that is rarely blighted by ATC delays, security problems, immigration hold ups (although someone needs to explain what a priority bag tag means...) and offers a week's valet parking with a reputable firm for just a shade over £50!
Don't worry - by the time it gets built the line will run over budget so they'll get rid of all the unneeded stuff like a station at BHX or the spur line to Heathrow.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:07 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
I think that would require the closure of LCY... not to mention large-scale demolition of residential areas.
There is a hell of a lot of farmland out there.

Does London REALLY need another airport? Are passengers figures really going to grow the way some self-styled experts are trying to tell us? There are only so many people living in the UK. There is only so much travelling people can do.
Apparently the LHR runways are at 98% capacity already. And the traveling might not be people coming into the UK, but rather passing through the UK. We're very strategically located between the Americas, Africa and most of Europe, after all.

Air passenger figures have gone down, not up in recent years - and I don't think that's just because of the recession.
No, it's because successive governments have made taxes on flying very high indeed.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by stut
Somewhere in the Chilterns seems like a good idea. After all, if you're going to lose votes there over a high speed line, you may as well go all out...
Worked like that in Munich. Undesirable infrastructure was traditionally placed north of the city - the money tends to live in the south. The location of MUC isn't exactly ideal but that's where it went. And they totally messed up the rail connections even though they had all the time in the world.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:25 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Well, it wouldn't be the first time they tried to build a London airport in Bucks...
Old Jan 11, 2012, 1:43 pm

Well, it wouldn't be the first time they tried to build a London airport in Bucks...
Nor in Oxfordshire!

http://www.oxfordairport.co.uk/
Old Jan 11, 2012, 1:44 pm

Nor in Oxfordshire!

http://www.oxfordairport.co.uk/
Old Jan 11, 2012, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Somewhere in the Chilterns seems like a good idea. After all, if you're going to lose votes there over a high speed line, you may as well go all out...
I nearly covered my keyboard in drink reading that
Old Jan 11, 2012, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by ajax
And the traveling might not be people coming into the UK, but rather passing through the UK.
38% of 66 million passengers are transfer & transit passengers

More detail

No, it's because successive governments have made taxes on flying very high indeed.
Not for transit / transfer passengers nor arriving passengers.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 2:58 pm

Programs: BD,Skyteam,QF
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Why can they not build the new London hub in the Olympic park? They will have no use for that land after July and it already has excellent train, tube and DLR connections and the Channel Tunnel rail link. Plus I think the number 25 runs there from Oxford Street. And it already has a bus link to STN.

I just checked on google maps, they could extend the runways straight up Hackney Marshes and tunnel the A12 under them a bit like CDG
OH..... you beat me to it!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 12, 2012, 3:16 am

And who exactly is going to build this new airport?
Unlike other countries (and unlike the rail infrastructure), London's airports are not owned by the government and they're not in single ownership.

LHR - BAA
LGW - Global Infrastucture Partners
STN - BAA but has to be sold - Regulatory ruling
LCY - Global Infrastructure Partners
LTN - Local authority
SEN - Stobart

If a new operator came along, these different businesses will make every effort to stop their exising users move to the new airport.
If the government said it would build it, surely these owners would sue?
And why would one of the existing airport owners invest in a new project that would remove value from their existing assets?
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:48 am

They could just do like they did in New York and kill all the birds:

Canada Geese Culled
I think slaughtering the birds is a splendid idea. Perhaps it could be tied in with the Javelin throwing at the Olympics.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 5:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
deleted

Last edited by Jenbel; Jul 14, 2012 at 5:34 am
Old Jan 18, 2012, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by Jenbel
It's just not possible, even if it were legal.
There's no such thing as "impossible". Just takes a bit of brain and gumption.

I'm certain a way can be found to reduce the populations satisfactorily, perhaps using the corpses for main courses in flight!

Thankfully, a proper consultation now launched into these proposals.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16606212

Funding for the airport itself isn't a problem (should easily be manageable with private sector and sovereign wealth fund assistance) it's more the infrastructure connecting to it which the government would have to pay for; but it's about time we launched any investment putsch in the Eastern parts of our capital city, and improved transport - not just for the airport..

Crossrail has undoubtedly helped with this. As will HS2 if it can be properly integrated.

Once the birds are exterminated and the unexploded bombs removed, the question will move to what to do with the Heathrow site post 2030. I'm certain it would make an excellent technology park, with plenty of opportunity to build another Canary Wharf style community, and especially so with the good (but not excellent!) transport links the site affords - an overspill for London just as one will be sorely needed.

LCY might close, or become a heli-terminal, but with such short journeys on high speed rail out to the new airport, I shouldn't think it'll matter much, especially as capacity is also constrained in the long term there, and planes must cause significant disturbance to those living under the flight path.

Lord Foster's plans for an airport on existing land or Thatcher International Airport as it should certainly be called, are well worth viewing in the video below:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/f...n-airport.html

Perhaps this thread should be stickied as it's undoubtedly a subject which will recur over the coming weeks, and is of specific interest to FTers...

Last edited by oscietra; Jan 22, 2012 at 10:21 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.