A new London Underground map?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A new London Underground map?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2011, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by stut
Of course, a good way to improve Thames Valley services would be to have Crossrail terminate at Reading, a major railhead, instead of Maidenhead. But never mind...
Crossrail comes under TfL and they don't have much understanding of issues outside of Zone 6

The Network Rail strategy for the South East was published last month.

The summary for the Great Western is:
•Existing strategy is based around a combination of several schemes, notably the Intercity Express Programme, electrification, Reading remodelling and Crossrail services to Maidenhead. However given constraints at London Paddington and on its approaches this does not directly facilitate extra main line trains into London in the high peak, so further interventions appear to be necessary.
•Incremental changes recommended to provide some additional capacity include extending Crossrail route services to Reading, lengthening services from Oxford and Newbury from 8-car to 12-car formation and running 16 rather than 15 main trains in the high peak. However this is not forecast to be sufficient to cater for the forecast growth.
•The RUS recommends further consideration of a major re-cast of the timetable and service structure on the Great Western Main Line – seen as the only realistically viable way to meet forecast demand on the route. This would see four extra fast main line services from Reading (or beyond) to Paddington in the busiest peak hours, utilising the existing Heathrow Express paths.
•The RUS seeks to run additional services between the Great Western route and the Crossrail tunnels, reducing the need for trains to terminate at Paddington. The combination of the Reading extension and a 10 trains per hour Crossrail service to Heathrow would involve 16 rather than 10 Crossrail trains on the GWML at peak times.
•A western connection to Heathrow is also recommended for detailed consideration, which would allow services to be extended to both Reading (via Slough) and Staines.
Both British Airways and Heathrow Airport opposed the scrapping of the Heathrow Express in the consultation exercise because of the removal of the high speed service. Both supported the alternative option of widening to six tracks, although neither offered any financial contribution to this which Network Rail consider as too expensive.

Last edited by jedikiah; Aug 26, 2011 at 4:34 am
Old Sep 5, 2011, 3:31 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Personally I think it should all be replaced with the anagram tube map, to keep everybody on their toes!

http://ni.chol.as/media/geoff-files/...anagrammap.gif

Anyone for Thermohaline Warts 1, 2, 3?
Old Sep 5, 2011, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bcmatt
Personally I think it should all be replaced with the anagram tube map, to keep everybody on their toes!

http://ni.chol.as/media/geoff-files/...anagrammap.gif

Anyone for Thermohaline Warts 1, 2, 3?
Bah, I had forgotten all about that. But my it's old - a bus to T4? East London line?

I'm disappointed with Nabk but there wasn't much to work with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.