Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British words and accents

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2011, 3:54 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I wouldn't say "vulgar", just "fallen out of common use". You only have to look back a few decades to see English literature written with this form.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 3:56 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by stut
I wouldn't say "vulgar", just "fallen out of common use". You only have to look back a few decades to see English literature written with this form.
NP, we'll agree to differ.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by stifle
All I want is for people to stop using "piece" and "space". You know the context.
I'd settle for people not asking for advise and loosing things.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 5:33 am

Never mind....
Old Aug 22, 2011, 6:06 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
Originally Posted by Roger
In principle, yes, though I use 'Google' as it's easier than 'use a search engine' or whatever. We tend not to use Fedex service, and for Xerox we would probably say 'copy'. In both cases, alternative services are available.
Though many people still 'Hoover' their carpets, even if they use a Dyson machine to do so. How about in the US?

Neil
Old Aug 22, 2011, 6:45 am

All I want is for people to stop using "piece" and "space". You know the context.
I had a muckle piece for ma dinner - nae space left.

Something like that?
Old Aug 22, 2011, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by stut
I had a muckle piece for ma dinner - nae space left.

Something like that?
No

I'm thinking of the corporate usage. Such as "Can you make sure the HR piece is taken care of" when talking about a redundancy announcement, or "there's a lot of volatility in the bond space today".
Old Aug 22, 2011, 7:16 am

"Can you make sure the HR piece is taken care of"
I must admit, I've never heard (or at least noticed) this usage. The immediate impression I get is from the rather more objectifying 70s use of 'piece' for 'attractive woman', and the sentence takes on a whole new meaning...

Still, I'd rather have a piece on square slice
Old Aug 22, 2011, 7:30 am

Programs: UA, DL, B6, WN
As an American who grew up attending a British school back when Hong Kong was a colony, my favorite guide to Britishisms (from an American perspective) has long been the Economist's Style Guide.

It used to be online - however, it was recently taken down. When it comes back I recommend reading it.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 8:02 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by SFOSpiff
The first isn't using an adjective as a noun, at least not intentionally. It seems so, since you need an object to send to but really it's just a shortening of "the legal department."
I would argue that this is an example of using an adjective as a noun, as (a) it is, and (b) it is done for expediency's sake. The same applies to "Take that to Marketing," and "Run that past Compliance." Both are verbal abbreviations but still use adjectives as nouns.

Originally Posted by SFOSpiff
Out of curiosity, do you object to the "verbing" of nouns* the same way? I haven't detected whether Brits accept this infraction - I guess I wasn't looking for it - but it's common in America, particularly where corporate brands are concerned, e.g. "google" information, "fedex" a package, "xerox" a document, etc.
In the interest of full disclosure, I am a US/UK dual-national who was raised in America but has been living in the UK for many, many years now.

IME, most British people tend to avoid the 'verbing' of nouns as they (IMHO quite rightly) think it makes them sound silly. Here in the UK, we still say "make a transition" instead of "transition", to give an example.

Originally Posted by pacer142
Though many people still 'Hoover' their carpets, even if they use a Dyson machine to do so. How about in the US?
In the US, people say they are using 'band-aids' and 'kleenexes' (and take Tylenol) even though they are almost certainly not using the brand-name products when doing so. I'm sure this particular habit transcends all cultural bounds, however, and is not just an American or a British thing.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
I think there is a tendancy to use brand names as verbs where the concept may be newer and there isn't really a term to describe it (so google and hoover, but not tissue or plaster or indeed fedex it (unless you really are using fedex in which case it might be acceptable instead of saying posting or couriering it).

Since we've touched on fedex, can I just point out mail is thing which is posted? Thanks.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:31 am

Programs: aeroplan E .HH.
The dogs bollocks,gutted

"Magic,tidy "and "the dogs bollocks "are expressions lost on most . I am gutted,but love the new " feral elite". Term for bankers and thier ilk
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:01 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by Jenbel
I think there is a tendancy to use brand names as verbs where the concept may be newer and there isn't really a term to describe it (so google and hoover...
What on earth is wrong with the English verb "to vacuum"? I'd bet 95% of people who "hoover" don't do it with a Hoover.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Because vacuuming is a horrible verb to have to use? Because a vacuum cleaner is a pretty unwieldy term? It even looks an ugly word. Because people can actually spell hoover?

And of course growing up, hoover became ubiquitious because it was. The first non-hoover my mother bought was a dyson.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by mtkeller
What on earth is wrong with the English verb "to vacuum"? I'd bet 95% of people who "hoover" don't do it with a Hoover.
I have owned two Hoovers in this country. Both were pieces of absolute junk and neither lasted six months. I bought a Dyson and have never been happier.

I sincerely hope that fewer than 5% of the population uses Hoovers - otherwise an awful lot of people have been ripped off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.