Wiki Posts
Search

British words and accents

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2011, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Giggleswick
On the other hand, there's aluminium in Britain.
Consistency. All other metal names that end with "um" don't end with -"ium" except one unviersally. No rhodum, lithum, uranum, sodum, calcum,etc. I think platinum is the only exception.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Originally Posted by mtkeller
I think you've missed the point.
You're right; I did. (Where's the blushing smiley?) Thanks for correctioning me.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routičres, PCR
We did the 'outwith' variations. What about 'without'?

As young persons many years ago, we were taught to sing:
'There is a green hill far away
Without a city wall ...'
http://www.hymnwiki.org/There_Is_a_Green_Hill_Far_Away

It was explained to us perplexed youngsters that this didn't mean the green hill didn't have a city wall but that it was outside a city wall. This was explained as a Scottish use of the word. Can this be true?
Old Aug 19, 2011, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by Roger
We did the 'outwith' variations. What about 'without'?

As young persons many years ago, we were taught to sing:
'There is a green hill far away
Without a city wall ...'
http://www.hymnwiki.org/There_Is_a_Green_Hill_Far_Away

It was explained to us perplexed youngsters that this didn't mean the green hill didn't have a city wall but that it was outside a city wall. This was explained as a Scottish use of the word. Can this be true?
Yes. The Scots invented Jesus and the crucifixion as well so it is only natural that their language pervaded hymns too. The unpublished 6th verse of this starts off: "And then they all went outwith and had a deep fried Mars bar and Irn Bru".
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Acclimatize/acclimate
Don't you mean 'acclimatise'?
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by Jenbel
Don't you mean 'acclimatise'?
Yes. However I think the OED allows for both? But my defense (sic.) is that I work for an American company and I have had it beaten out of me

But.....z = zed and never under any circumstances does z = zee. That would be a step too far.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Roger
And I've admired US English for its efficiency, too, specially with grammar and sentence construction. I assume much comes from usage by immigrants from mainland Europe.

OK, some words grate. Why use one syllable when three will do? Is there a significant difference between 'transport' and 'transportation', for example? (OK, that's 2/4, but you get my drift?)

I guess it's one of those tomayto/tomarto situations.
They way I would use it, Transport - verb, Transportation - noun

"Billy used the efficient transportation provided by the Olympic Games to transport his children to the stadium"

If we are going into multi-syllable words when shorter would do, how about:

Would you like a drink (UK) v Would you like a beverage (US)

Put it in the bin (UK) v Put it in the garbage can (US)

It's the dark blue estate (UK) v It's the dark blue station wagon (US)

Would you care for a starter (UK) v would you care for an appetizer (US)
Old Aug 19, 2011, 3:13 pm

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
ROFL... classic example... Can you imagine saying that almost anywhere in the US!
Hum, I understood all of that at the first reading.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paint Horse
Hum, I understood all of that at the first reading.
Me too.

I think I would have recognized most of that by the time I was 15 (at which time I don't think I had ever been more than 20 miles from my home). But my parents always encouraged us to read and seek out other cultures because they were interesting.

Sadly, I think most Americans watch only films that feature large breasts, even larger guns, and plenty of explosions. Dialogue/plot are superfluous.

Likewise, if your reading material consists mostly of tweets, web pages, and (thin) books with lots of pictures, you're never going to be exposed to other ways of saying things.

Hey! I can go 500 miles from home (to the South, let's say ) and I'll have difficulty understanding them. It's not wrong, it's just different and, in many cases, more colorful and interesting.

For the size of this country (US), we certainly appear to be very provincial.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 9:45 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by BigLar
For the size of this country (US), we certainly appear to be very provincial.
And to be entirely fair on the US, this is hardly surprising. American culture is very domineering, the country is virtually isolated in the world (surrounded by virtual cultural non-entities - sorry Mexico and Canada, but it's true) and to get to anywhere substantially different from most Americans' current cultural exposure, you need to fly several hours (usually overnight) and spend several hundred dollars which most people probably don't have.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 5:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Yes. However I think the OED allows for both? But my defense (sic.) is that I work for an American company and I have had it beaten out of me

But.....z = zed and never under any circumstances does z = zee. That would be a step too far.
It does, but just because MS Word seems to object to the -se forms and always make them -ze means I tend to use them in preference.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 5:52 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by Jenbel
It does, but just because MS Word seems to object to the -se forms and always make them -ze means I tend to use them in preference.
If you change the language of the document (and perhaps your default language as well) to "English (United Kingdom)" you shouldn't have these problems anymore.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 6:12 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by buddman
Flying into FRA last night, I made a few language related notes:

1. When passing through with the drinks trolly, CC ask if you would like a "sweet or savoury" snack. Does anyone other than a British native speaker know what a "savory" snack is? I don't think the Germans on board did.

2. The captain thanked the passengers for "their custom". same as above - to me a British phrase not heard elsewhere in the English speaking world.
1. I would certainly understand what a savoury snack is, I think the word is used in most of the English speaking word.

2, I would understand what was meant by "their custom", but would never, ever use the phrase. If I heard it I would think that the speaker was taking part in a revival of "Are You Being Served".

I suspect that it would mainly be Americans who would have difficulty understanding a lot of those quaint British phrases, most Anglophones generally speak English as she is spoke.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 6:26 am

To confuse the truly non English speaking folks, I will use 'gobsmacked' or 'flabbergasted' over the alternate words - 'surprised' or 'dumbfounded'
Old Aug 20, 2011, 7:36 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by ajax
...virtual cultural non-entities - sorry Mexico and Canada, but it's true...
Good one !

You were being sarcastic of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.