FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   U.K. and Ireland (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland-484/)
-   -   Barclay's ATM at Heathrow? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland/1218753-barclays-atm-heathrow.html)

RussianTexan May 24, 2011 7:22 am

Barclay's ATM at Heathrow?

Are there many Barclay's ATMs at Heathrow airport? They'll work with my BoA card, right?

According to Barclays.co.uk, there's one at Terminal 5 & Terminal 2. Wonder which one I can get. Better take the Heathrow Express to the other terminal, I'm arriving in Terminal 4.

Wish me luck! :D

UAPremExecflyer May 24, 2011 7:42 am

Originally Posted by RussianTexan (Post 16439976)
Are there many Barclay's ATMs at Heathrow airport? They'll work with my BoA card, right?

According to Barclays.co.uk, there's one at Terminal 5 & Terminal 2. Wonder which one I can get. Better take the Heathrow Express to the other terminal, I'm arriving in Terminal 4.

Wish me luck! :D

There are plenty of ATMs at T4. Why would you want to go to T5? Also T2 doesn't exist any more.

teflon May 24, 2011 7:56 am

Provided your ATM card has a Visa or MasterCard logo on it, it should work on pretty much any ATM in the UK. Any particular reason you'd want to use specifically a Barclays one?

star_world May 24, 2011 8:30 am

The biggest reason for wanting a Barclays one is to avoid additional fees that Bank of America charge on non-BoA ATM transactions. Barclays is one of a handful of banks that are part of an alliance where these fees are not charged.

I'm not aware of one in LHR itself - closest I've found is across the road from the Hatton Cross tube station.

alanR May 24, 2011 8:42 am

I thought all the ATMs at T5 were "private" rather than bank related and as such charge for using them

rwoman May 24, 2011 9:30 am

When I was in T5 this past week, there were no Barclays ATMs...at least that I saw - and I wandered around quite a bit while waiting on family to arrive. There used to be one in T2, but T2 is currently a construction zone and I do not think there are any ATMs right now. ;)

The closest one I know of is across the street from the Hatton Cross Tube station (first eastbound stop leaving LHR). I am a BoA customer and completely understand the interest in using Barclays.

Where are you headed in London? I can probably advise on the one closest to you. You can always use a credit card to get train fare (if you're traveling by train/Tube) and then use a cash machine near your hotel. Barclays machines are all over London.

:)robin

Mizter T May 24, 2011 10:32 am

As RussianTexan has seemingly already discovered, Barclays have a branch and (standalone) cash machine locator on their website here.

At Heathrow they have machines listed at "Terminal 5" (though no indication of airside, landside or both), and also at "Teminal 2 airside" and also "Travelex Departure Gate 2, Terminal 2". As has already been pointed out, the cash machines listed at T2 pose something of an existential dilemma, given that T2 has been demolished.

One option would be for the OP to get on a bus (for free) from T4 to Hatton Cross and visit the Barclays cash machines at the branch there, before then proceeding into central London by Tube - bus routes 482, 490, 555 and 557 will take you this short hop (see this bus spider map), and Hatton Cross is fairly obvious once you get there (also there may be announcements on the bus, if it's one of the TfL routes, or otherwise you could ask for a heads up from the driver).

The Barclays branch at Hatton Cross is just over the road from the Tube and bus station - there's no Google Streetview within the airport estate but you can see the bank building just off the roundabout, in relation to Hatton Cross station, on this Bing maps bird's eye view (the bank has the pin point stuck in it - you can also see a single-decker red bus in the bus station in front of the Tube station).

Alternatively you could get a bus the other way from T4 to T5, but it's three times as far, there's one less bus route that goes that way, there's a slightly less frequent Tube service from T5 and anyway you'll only end up going through Hatton Cross in the end.

Of course, if you're not taking the Tube into central London (and are taking the HEx), that does changes matters!

All that said, rwoman's suggestion of heading into London first and then finding a cash machine might be the better one. Barclays are one of the 'big four' high street banks here, so they have cash machines all over the place.

Oxon Flyer May 24, 2011 11:59 am

Originally Posted by star_world (Post 16440320)
I'm not aware of one in LHR itself - closest I've found is across the road from the Hatton Cross tube station.

There's a Barclays ATM in the arivals hall of T1.

rwoman May 24, 2011 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer (Post 16441714)
There's a Barclays ATM in the arivals hall of T1.

Can you advise on its location? I know there used to be one in the T1 arrivals hall, but the last time I was there (few months ago) it had been converted to a Travelex machine. I'd be happy to know of a confirmed sighting! ;)

Thanks!
robin

Oxon Flyer May 24, 2011 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by rwoman (Post 16442124)
Can you advise on its location? I know there used to be one in the T1 arrivals hall, but the last time I was there (few months ago) it had been converted to a Travelex machine. I'd be happy to know of a confirmed sighting! ;)

Thanks!
robin

Bottom of the escalator/stairway to/from departures. I stand corrected if it has been removed since I last used it a few months ago. :)

rwoman May 25, 2011 12:29 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer (Post 16443098)
Bottom of the escalator/stairway to/from departures. I stand corrected if it has been removed since I last used it a few months ago. :)

I'll look when I'm at LHR this weekend - flying out of T3, but it's easy enough to get to T1.

stifle May 25, 2011 5:05 am

I'm arriving into T1 on Monday, will check too.

Showbizguru May 25, 2011 7:08 am

The T1 Barclays ATM is still there as of this week.
It delivers lovely crisp sterling drinking vouchers.

rwoman May 25, 2011 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Showbizguru (Post 16446462)
The T1 Barclays ATM is still there as of this week.
It delivers lovely crisp sterling drinking vouchers.

Thanks! I usually have those same vouchers handy, but it's nice to know I can get them @ LHR if needed!

mtkeller May 26, 2011 12:32 am

Originally Posted by rwoman (Post 16445283)
I'll look when I'm at LHR this weekend - flying out of T3, but it's easy enough to get to T1.

What? rwoman is cheating on SkyTeam this weekend? :D