Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel between Windsor and Cotswolds?

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2011, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Hotel between Windsor and Cotswolds?

Good evening,

My mother's coming over from the US for her first visit to England. She's flying in LHR, scheduled to land about 8pm, and I'll pick her up and take her straight to Windsor for the evening. Two days later we're due in Stow on the Wold but I have one night as yet unscheduled (the hotel in Windsor, the Mercure, is full that night so we can't stay a second night there).

We could stay a second night in Windsor or perhaps someone outside of town (parking!) in the direction of the Cotswolds. I'd like to find somewhere impressive, to indulge her quaint notions of English countryside, and would really appreciate any suggestions.

Many thanks!
Old May 13, 2011, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
I've never stayed here, but have been to a sister hotel and it was absolutely top notch:

http://www.oldswanandminstermill.com/

There's another place that's absolutely beautiful in Bourton on the Water where I have stayed a couple of times and that's the Dial House - http://www.dialhousehotel.com/

Am sure there are hundreds of other similar places out this way but they're not cheap and especially at weekends you might struggle for a one night stay.
Old May 13, 2011, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Cliveden would involve backtracking (perhaps, need to see a map!) and is not the greatest hotel in the world, but if you want to impress someone with the building and grounds then this is the place .....
Old May 15, 2011, 11:25 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz Gold
Oakley Court was a wonderful place for us; right upon the Thames, large property, restaurant available.
http://www.principal-hayley.com/
Old May 16, 2011, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions, we're booked at Oakley Court, really looking forward to it!
Old May 17, 2011, 7:26 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz Gold
OK. Let us hear how it is for you.
ps: Where is your tag line - the captial of British brewing?
Old May 17, 2011, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
On the basis you asked

"to indulge her quaint notions of English countryside"

I think you should have gone for something smaller.

Targeting the conference brigade during the week and wedding parties at the weekend doesn't leave much room for quaint IMO...
Old May 18, 2011, 5:59 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
I would have suggested Le Manoir Aux Quat' Saisons, which is half way between Windsor and the Cotswolds, set in a nice quaint English countryside village, and which would certainly fulfill the indulge/impressive criteria.
Old May 18, 2011, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
I would have suggested Le Manoir Aux Quat' Saisons, which is half way between Windsor and the Cotswolds, set in a nice quaint English countryside village, and which would certainly fulfill the indulge/impressive criteria.
Yeah and the food isn't bad either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.