Search

Scotland, single malts, and my birthday

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2011, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, DL SkyClub, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, National Emerald Exec
Scotland, single malts, and my birthday

Hi guys,

At last...I'm fulfilling a long time dream. Will be sipping my favorite single malt sitting at its source, The Macallan on my birthday (first week in May). Have contemplated surviving on nothing but single malts and Walker's Shortbread, but more responsible thoughts prevail.

So....amm looking for suggestions about what to see, where to eat, etc. Here's the full trip schedule:

Edinburgh (four days)
Staying: Sheraton Grand (Festival Square, west of Edinburgh Castle)
Transportation: Ummmm....taxis and by foot?

Train from Edinburgh (Haymarket) to Aberdeen
Pick up rental car at Aberdeen airport

Craigellachie / Aberlour (three days)
Staying: The Dowans
Other than the Precious Tour at The Macallan, my dance card is wide open

Flying out of Aberdeen at the end, sniffling on the plane.

Since I'll have wheels during my days near the Spey, covering a fair amount of territory won't be a problem. Reserved an automatic transmission to be safe (I shudder at the thought of shifting with my left hand).

Fire away, folks. Am wide open to suggestions for both places. Cheers!

(P.S. Yes, I'm missing the Spey Festival by a couple of days, but that's okay. Had trouble getting a hotel room that would garner points if the trip flipped to Aberlour first, Edinburgh last. This way, no crowds, which I'm fine with.)
Old Apr 4, 2011, 6:55 pm

I always stop here. A bit of 'Chariots of Fire' was filmed here. That was my first impetus to go, after that it's the food!

The Cafe Royal Oyster Bar
19 W Register St Edinburgh EH2 2AA, United Kingdom
0131 556 1884 http://www.caferoyal.org.uk/therestaurant.htm

Last edited by JanePond; Apr 4, 2011 at 6:56 pm Reason: Addendum
Old Apr 5, 2011, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
At the start of your Edinburgh stay if it's your first trip, do the city bus tour. Good for trying to get your bearings in what can be a slightly disconcerting city.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 4:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
I do maintain a thread of restaurant reviews which may give you some ideas of where to go eat - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...t-reviews.html

There are a number of pubs in Edinburgh which pride themselves on their malt selection. Teuchters Landing down in Leith is one of them - I'll see if I can dig out the leaflet I picked up recently on the others.

The Aberlour area is beautiful - you're in a great part of the country, full of hidden wooden glens and river valleys. There obviously are other distilleries you can go visit in that area. I would also recommend taking a run down to Cairngorm, and the funicular railway up onto the Cairngorm plateau (note, you will not be able to leave the funicular station at the stop, to protect the fragile ecology of the site during the breeding season. But the views - chose a clear day with high cloud base - are spectacular).

The method you've missed out for transport around Edinburgh is bus - Edinburgh has a very good bus network. Fares are fixed fee (1.30 if bought on board, cheaper if you use a ticket machine in advance), or you can buy a day ticket (Ł3.20) which lets you hop on and hop off as you like - great if you feel like you cannot face another slog along Princes St ). More information, routes at www.lothianbuses.com Unlike some cities, everyone uses buses in Edinburgh, so although you get a few weirdos, you'll find a good cross section of the general public on them. Lots of tourists, and the locals are generally happy to help tourists sort out buses as well - there's also a guide here http://lothianbuses.com/component/co...s-buses-g.html

Last edited by Jenbel; Apr 5, 2011 at 5:03 am
Old Apr 5, 2011, 4:33 pm

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by Jenbel
There are a number of pubs in Edinburgh which pride themselves on their malt selection. Teuchters Landing down in Leith is one of them - I'll see if I can dig out the leaflet I picked up recently on the others.
[/url]
The Canny Man's in Morningside has a fantastic selection of whisky, though the staff can be a little fearsome for some tastes.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 2:54 pm

Programs: VS, LH
The whisky museum/experience in Edinburgh

http://www.scotchwhiskyexperience.co.uk/

Enjoy!
Old Apr 16, 2011, 6:30 pm

Four days in Edinburgh is way too many.......take a day trip to Glasgow.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 9:35 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Four days in Edinburgh is way too many.......take a day trip to Glasgow.
Or St. Andrews. I happened to be there yesterday for the annual Kate Kennedy Procession (this was totally unplanned on my part), but it would have been a nice day trip even without something like that going on.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Great suggestions, everyone--thank you!

@mtkeller, we're on the same page. Am thinking the same thing, depending on whether or not the bank holiday trips me up in Edinburgh. Since planning the trip, I've begun researching our family's Scottish roots--would be great to spend a little time in the Archives, but something tells me they'll be closed three of the four days I'm there. Might help me decide pretty quickly.

@jenbell: I'm impressed by the info about busses. Sounds like a good fit. Thanks, too, for the funicular pointer.

I'm getting SO excited about this....less than two weeks to go....
Old Apr 19, 2011, 6:31 am

If you are interested in family history and have time in Aberdeen there is the Aberdeen and North East Family History Society http://www.anesfhs.org.uk/ They are an amateur organisation but can do some research in advance if you contact them.

A bit of a diversion on your drive to/from Aberdeen is Balmoral Castle http://www.balmoralcastle.com which is the summer home of the Queen. There are lots of other castles in the area that have better access to the rooms inside and more history but without the present day Royal connection.

Lots of great walks in the area but remember to dress appropriately and carry a map/GPS even if the weather looks OK. It can change very quickly up there!
Old Apr 19, 2011, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Where am I today?
If you are interested in family history and have time in Aberdeen there is the Aberdeen and North East Family History Society http://www.anesfhs.org.uk/ They are an amateur organisation but can do some research in advance if you contact them.
Any suggestions for the same in Edinburgh? I'll only be in Aberdeen for transit reasons--no play time there (wanted to focus the latter half of the trip Speyside).

Originally Posted by Where am I today?
Lots of great walks in the area but remember to dress appropriately and carry a map/GPS even if the weather looks OK. It can change very quickly up there!
I've been all over the place when thinking about what to toss in the suitcase. Want to keep it simple, but know a coat must come along. And umbrella. Always GPS. Why do I get the feeling this will be one of those pack-unpack-repack-unpack-repack experiences the night before departure?
Old Apr 22, 2011, 1:33 pm

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
You might have found that a lot of the Scottish records are available online - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk but to view the records attract charges which soon mount up.

There are basically two places in Edinburgh for records - the General Register Office, which holds the national records (births, deaths, marriages, parish records), and the National Archives of Scotland, which, despite the name, holds more local records.

The Scottish Geneology Society is based in Victoria Terrace, and is an Edinburgh based amateur organisation - that said, I haven't used them, because so far, I'm still working through the official records on my research.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

You might have found that a lot of the Scottish records are available online - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk but to view the records attract charges which soon mount up.
No kidding. Spent a pretty penny with them the first day I got into this, a few weeks ago.

There are basically two places in Edinburgh for records - the General Register Office, which holds the national records (births, deaths, marriages, parish records), and the National Archives of Scotland, which, despite the name, holds more local records.

The Scottish Geneology Society is based in Victoria Terrace, and is an Edinburgh based amateur organisation - that said, I haven't used them, because so far, I'm still working through the official records on my research.
Thank you so much for the great tips, Jenbel; like you, I want to work my way through the official docs first, but have a feeling this may be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to locate some more person pieces of the puzzle too. Might need to touch base with the folks on Victoria Terrace for those elements.

One week to go, and I can hardly wait.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:33 am

Location: Usually on a ship looking for oil and gas; Uruguay, Malaysia, Turkey, Nigeria, Libya, Egypt, Norway, Scotland, India, Congo & Angola, next project who knows? Agreed to CC rules
Programs: AC Altitude E75K/*G, AS MVP, AF/KLM Petroleum Club, BA Blue
Don't miss the distillery tour at Aberlour, there is a fee and you should reserve, but I felt it was the best distillery tour in all of Scotland (and I've done quite a few of them). As a bonus you can fill and label your own bottle of Cask Strength, Single Cask, Single Malt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.