Wiki Posts
Search

Transport from LHR to London Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2010, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD, Amex PLT, Hertz GLD, National EX
Transport from LHR to London Hotel

Hoping some experienced FTers can help me out.

My SO and I like to start our vacation by hiring car service from the airport to our hotel. That way we have someone waiting for us and don't have to deal with hailing a cab.

Can anyone recommend a good car/chauffeur service? I e-mailed our hotel concierge and they quoted chauffer service at 85 pounds + 5%. I'm sured that's a marked up price, but I also don't want to go with a company I found by searching google. Would really appreciate the name of a company someone on FT has used before.

Thank you in advance!
Old Dec 21, 2010, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
There's always www.addisonlee.com - they're not the cheapest but they're reliable and are able to take payment by card as well as cash (slightly cheaper to pay cash and the driver gets a bigger cut).

There's no need to tip minicab drivers in the UK, although if you're happy with the service they'll appreciate a small tip.

Also if you're happy to let us know where the hotel is, people will be able to advise journey times and perhaps other local firms that offer better value.

A note on UK terminology in case you're not familiar: a minicab is a pre-booked car service. Price will be agreed in advance.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 1:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver, FI, AC
I've had consistently good results with this service and use this as an alternate.

As with other car services paying cash won't incur a service charge; I usually give the driver a pound or two extra depending on the fare.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I detest Addison Lee with a vengeance. Too many reasons to type in here, YMMV.

I use a company whose name I forget but the driver is usually Ilyas and his number is 0793 1438432.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD, Amex PLT, Hertz GLD, National EX
Thanks for the replies so far. I'm staying at Le Meirdien Piccadilly.

Another question - my flight back home departs LHR at 8:30 a.m. How early do you suggest I arrive at the aiport? What time do you think I should schedule the return car?

Thanks again!
Old Dec 21, 2010, 4:19 pm

Programs: BA Silver, FI, AC
You should probably plan to arrive at LHR (for the return flight) at about 0615 - 0630. If you're travelling on a weekday allow about 50 - 60 minutes for the drive to LHR, if at the weekend 45 - 50 minutes.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 7:32 pm

I think it's very easy to get a cab at LHR. Just go out the right door and they are there. Then, returning, your hotel can arrange transportation. No
hailing' involved.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by JanePond
I think it's very easy to get a cab at LHR. Just go out the right door and they are there. Then, returning, your hotel can arrange transportation. No
hailing' involved.
Unfortunately you will have to speak to a Black Cab driver who often confuse "the knowledge" with knowledge. And ridiculous prices. And lord help you if they don't think that your hotel is far enough for the "I had to queue four hours" conversation, and then of course the tip even though they generally cannot be bothered to get of their backsides to help with luggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.