best mileage plan to get to Ireland in J or F

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2010, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!

I'd like to start collecting miles in a plan where I can get redeem them for a ticket in an executive class to Ireland in 2012. Any suggestions? Comments?

So far, I have come up with Air Canada's Aeroplan, as being the best candidate. 90K miles for a business class ticket to Europe from the U.S.
So, I'm thinking get their AmEx card, + the Starwood AmEX + AmEX Membership Rewards to accrue enuff for an executive class ticket.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
please continue to follow this thread in our UK & Ireland forum

regards,

chrissxb
co-moderator
europe forum
Old Dec 21, 2010, 3:50 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Bear in mind that Air Canada runs a domestic-config 767 to Dublin. The only premium class is 'comfort plus' - effectively domestic business class, sold at a small premium over economy.

Of course, you can use other routes and *A airlines.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 4:14 am

So far, I have come up with Air Canada's Aeroplan, as being the best candidate. 90K miles for a business class ticket to Europe from the U.S..
In fact, its 80K Aeroplan miles for a North America-to-Europe *A biz reward, or 85K on an Air Canada reward. You had me worried for a moment there that there'd been some mileage inflation!

Aeroplan is a great program, especially if you fly to Canada a lot and can get an Aeroplan branded credit card etc that can help you earn miles faster. If you live in the US, however, you might also want to consider the FF programs of a US based airline like UA or CO.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA-Plt, UA-1P, PC Plt, National ECEE
AA has J MileSAAver peak tickets for 50k. ORD-DUB is usually on a 757/763 with only Y and int'l J, so no need to save up for F. In 2010 AA switched ORD-DUB to seasonal (no flights Nov-ish 2010 - Apr 5, 2011); no word on whether it will continue through the winter of 2011-2012.

I just put a couple 20k MileSAAvers (exit row...almost premium class?) on hold for the spring. For my desired redemptions, AA is hard to beat.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 1:23 pm
CLG

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Circle
Originally Posted by MilesMonster
These miles you quote are 1-way rates, so I'm struggling to see how a 100,000 mile J award on AA is better than an 80,000 (or 85k) J award on AC...

CLG
Old Jan 1, 2011, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
Thanks Everyone

very useful info indeed ; so far, AC, and AS look to be the best options....being that my coworker is based out of SLC, looks like AS may be a very good option.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 3:42 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Where in Ireland and from where? CO do a very nice J service from EWR to BFS or DUB. The new style seat and service on the 757 is excellent, but the old style seating leaves a lot to be desired! By 2012 though this should not be a problem.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA-Plt, UA-1P, PC Plt, National ECEE
Originally Posted by CLG
These miles you quote are 1-way rates, so I'm struggling to see how a 100,000 mile J award on AA is better than an 80,000 (or 85k) J award on AC...

CLG
Bah, details! I stand corrected (and embarrassed).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.