Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Avoid UK Air Passenger Duty by flying out of Jersey

Old Oct 29, 10, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA,BA,NW,EK

With the new rip off APD taxes clobbering long haul flights which is taking effect next week, ex Jersey is starting to look like viable option. There is no APD charged on any Jersey departing flights. I have only played around with this a little and so far and found for example, BA to Hong kong out of JEY is cheaper by 35GBP than out of LHR. Another example using BA miles on a one way JER-POS is 50GBP cheaper. There is a flight JER-HKG which comes up on ITA using Fly-be and AF for 535 rtn. I don't know if it would be possible to force off the fuel surcharge on this one as well. With the UK government bent on ripping off us travel lovers, I would like to see hoards of UK travellers departing non UK airports. Teach the Government a lesson, like the Dutch did to their Government when they tried APD.
Old Oct 29, 10, 3:42 pm

But, realistically, I would have to pay to get to Jersey and then there won't be flights from Jersey to many (or most) of the places I want to fly to fly to.
Old Oct 29, 10, 6:12 pm
Senior Moderator/Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow as the thread moves to the U.K. and Ireland forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Oct 29, 10, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
But, realistically, I would have to pay to get to Jersey
Indeed.....Unless you have a desire to visit Jersey in the first place the saving would have to be in the hundreds of pounds before I would even think about wasting my time getting there.
Old Oct 30, 10, 12:15 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The fare BRU-LHR-wherever is fairly often cheaper than LHR-wherever in addition to the tax savings. So maybe BRU is better. I bet it's more accessible than Jersey too!
Old Oct 30, 10, 3:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA,BA,NW,EK
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...to-Europe.html
Old Oct 30, 10, 4:01 am

Has to be one of the most stupid ideas I've seen for years, flying to some farm strip then back again to save a few quid.

The simplest thing to do is to fly to your final destination via a mainland European hub like Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Brussels, Madrid or Paris - which oddly enough is what people who don't live within spitting distance of London have been doing for years.
Old Oct 30, 10, 4:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by alanR View Post
Has to be one of the most stupid ideas I've seen for years, flying to some farm strip then back again to save a few quid.
It's actually even more stupid than that - save 50 on your flight ex-Jersey but pay more than that to get to Jersey in the first place meaning a negative saving, not to mention the inconvenience/hassle/wasted time.
Old Oct 30, 10, 5:21 am

But that article talks about flying to Schiphol and then on as an example. It's a very different thing to fly to somewhere like Amsterdam, Paris, Frankfurt and so on and then on to your destination from flying to Jersey and then on. And as noted above, plenty of people do that already: my friends in Norwich always take intercontinental flights via Amsterdam or Frankfurt rather than Heathrow or Gatwick, not for cost-saving reasons but just because it's more convenient for them.
Old Oct 30, 10, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
my friends in Norwich always take intercontinental flights via Amsterdam or Frankfurt rather than Heathrow or Gatwick, not for cost-saving reasons but just because it's more convenient for them.
How do you get from NWI to FRA?

(We don't have flights to FRA, so getting to FRA would mean a double-hop via AMS...)

As for flying via JER... yes, definitely a daft idea. Especially bearing in mind that the Channel Islands are extremely fog-prone (I have plenty of first-hand experience of that), so you could end up being stuck there for days instead of heading off to wherever you were hoping to go. (Though there are worse places to get stuck than L'Horizon Hotel down the road from Jersey Airport...)
Old Oct 30, 10, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Aviatrix View Post
How do you get from NWI to FRA?

(We don't have flights to FRA, so getting to FRA would mean a double-hop via AMS...)
I don't know, I have not cross-examined them closely, nor have I travelled with them on one of their expeditions. Perhaps they fly from Norwich to Amsterdam but from another airport (?East Midlands) to Frankfurt?

The point, though, is that they obviously find it easier/cheaper/more pleasant/advantageous in some other way to do this rather than start the main part of their trip at Heathrow/Gatwick/some other big London-based airport.

I know that a colleague in Edinburgh sometimes takes a similar approach.
Old Oct 31, 10, 10:31 am

Location: Northern Ireland (in spirit), but much more likely GB or Europe.
Programs: EI GC, BA EC, AAdvantage, AB Top Bonus
Whilst Jersey may not be the best example, it highlights a valuable point that starting tickets outside the UK can save a lot of money on redemptions where APD can make a large proportion of the taxes, especially on premium classes
Old Oct 31, 10, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH SEN, AB PLAT, BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, SPG Lifetime Platinum, IHG RA, Hyatt Globalist
And the Jersey flight can give you some extra BA tier points
Old Oct 31, 10, 5:05 pm

Also, lets not forget that for many foreign nationals travel to the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man requires a separate visitor visa (even though there are no immigration controls) that can cost up to $1000 to acquire.

I tried to apply for a Channel Islands airside transit visa a few years ago and was advised that it could take up to 8 months to process and would cost almost 200 in application fees!!!
Old Oct 31, 10, 8:38 pm
vla

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold
Originally Posted by B747-437B View Post
the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man requires a separate visitor visa
I can imagine the reasons why this might be so, but I confess that, in practice, I would have imagined the Common Travel Area would have mitigated the (perceived) need.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: