Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

London tube transfer at Green Park

London tube transfer at Green Park

Old Jul 6, 10, 1:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Hello---

Looking at options to get from LHR to the Hilton Tower Bridge and the Tube seems the easiest, most convenient, and cheapest. Only one transfer at Green Park.

Anyone know if there are many stairs there? There are two of us, we'll each have a backpack and a larger bag with rollers. Don't mind walking too much, but if there are many stairs, we may explore other options.

This will be on a Friday in late August if it makes any difference, 27 Aug. Our trans-Atlantic flight arrives at LHR around 10am, so I imagine we'd be on our way around 11:30ish.

Thanks!
Old Jul 6, 10, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is step free...but do not follow the transfer signs. Instead head to the exit from the Piccadilly Line and when you reach the main ticket hall (with all the ticket barriers) simply follow the signs for the Jubilee. Step free at London Bridge too though you do have a 5 min from there to the hotel. Get on the back of the Piccadilly line train at Heathrow to avoid a walk along the platform at Green Park.
Old Jul 6, 10, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is step free...but do not follow the transfer signs. Instead head to the exit from the Piccadilly Line and when you reach the main ticket hall (with all the ticket barriers) simply follow the signs for the Jubilee. Step free at London Bridge too though you do have a 5 min from there to the hotel. Get on the back of the Piccadilly line train at Heathrow to avoid a walk along the platform at Green Park.
Old Jul 6, 10, 3:30 pm

You can avoid the journey up and down at Green Park by getting off the Tube at Hammersmith, walking a few feet to the adjacent platform then taking a District Line Tube to Westminster where you can use the elevators to get to the Jubilee Line. No stairs, no escalators
Old Jul 6, 10, 3:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Thanks for the quick reply!

We've been to London twice before but used a car service both times. Thinking of ways to save some money, and this is will help.
Old Jul 6, 10, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alanR View Post
You can avoid the journey up and down at Green Park by getting off the Tube at Hammersmith, walking a few feet to the adjacent platform then taking a District Line Tube to Westminster where you can use the elevators to get to the Jubilee Line. No stairs, no escalators
Ahh, good call. I'd forgotten there are lifts to the District platforms at Westminster.
Old Jul 6, 10, 5:40 pm

Programs: BA, AC, NZ
There is step-free transfer (lifts) between the Piccadilly and Jubilee lines at Green Park. No need to go to Westminster.

You can validate this with the tfl journey planner (tfl.gov.uk) and setting the "mobility requirements" options.
Old Jul 6, 10, 5:52 pm

Programs: Global Entry, UA, AA, BA, DL, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Reason077 View Post
You can validate this with the tfl journey planner (tfl.gov.uk) and setting the "mobility requirements" options.
I would also suggest checking Service Advisories at the TFL website to make sure that maintenance is not being performed on the lifts you are planning to use.
Old Jul 7, 10, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Reason077 View Post
There is step-free transfer (lifts) between the Piccadilly and Jubilee lines at Green Park. No need to go to Westminster.

However it is a long long walk and the Jubilee lift often doesn't work there.
Old Jul 7, 10, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Agree with all this (Hilton TB is next to my office). London Bridge is a new station and step free to the Jubilee Line platform - there is a lift but you may need to be shown where it is, plus escalators.

If you change at Green Park, take the escalators to the ticket hall and then the escalators back down. Follow the Way Out signs and not the Piccadilly Line signs.
Old Jul 7, 10, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Raffles
Agree with all this (Hilton TB is next to my office). London Bridge is a new station and step free to the Jubilee Line platform - there is a lift but you may need to be shown where it is, plus escalators.

If you change at Green Park, take the escalators to the ticket hall and then the escalators back down. Follow the Way Out signs and not the Piccadilly Line signs.
Thanks, I've been to the London Bridge station before. I think we'll be ok using the escalators, the bags aren't too terribly large.

And if you're up for a mini FT do, since you're just next door, let me know. There used to be a dive bar across from the TB hotel with cheap beer.
Old Jul 8, 10, 1:08 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Raffles View Post

Thanks for this tip. I've changed here loads of times and it's a pain - I have always followed the signs and shall certainly try this next time.
Old Aug 27, 19, 3:40 pm

Hi all! Reviving a bit of an old thread.

Does anyone have recent experience with this route at Green Park from the Piccadilly line to Jubilee?

Iíve always just followed the signs for Jubilee. Iíve not gone up the escalators than over to the Jubilee escalator like this suggests.

My mom and I will be visiting London this autumn. She is a bit slower of a walker. The route suggested in this thread sounds like itís a shorter route from Piccadilly to Jubilee. Am I correct in this assumption?

I checked TFLís site and they also suggest
Piccadilly to Hammersmith
Transfer to District
District to Westminster
Transfer to Jubilee
Jubilee to Southwark

Thank you for your time!
Old Aug 27, 19, 4:20 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe, and Carbon Conscious Travel

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
It's absolutely the quickest way to transfer at Green Park. Not only is there less distance to cover, most of it is covered for you, mechanically.

The TfL-suggested route may be quicker, despite the two changes. Piccadilly to District at Hammersmith is a cross-platform change (if it's quiet, I'd suggest Barons Court instead, as it's a rather lovely station), and District to Jubilee at Westminster can be done on an escalator or lift without much walking.
Old Aug 27, 19, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by stut View Post
It's absolutely the quickest way to transfer at Green Park. Not only is there less distance to cover, most of it is covered for you, mechanically.

The TfL-suggested route may be quicker, despite the two changes. Piccadilly to District at Hammersmith is a cross-platform change (if it's quiet, I'd suggest Barons Court instead, as it's a rather lovely station), and District to Jubilee at Westminster can be done on an escalator or lift without much walking.
Thank you stut!

This is so helpful! Iíll keep Baronís Court in mind as well.

This will be my momís first visit to London, and the UK for that matter. Sheís so excited! Thank you for taking the time to respond to my inquiry. We appreciate it a great deal.

Best,
Kim

Search this Thread
Search Engine: