Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

London tube transfer at Green Park

London tube transfer at Green Park

Old Jul 6, 10, 1:33 pm
  #1  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: AUS / GRK
Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Posts: 11,308
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Hello---

Looking at options to get from LHR to the Hilton Tower Bridge and the Tube seems the easiest, most convenient, and cheapest. Only one transfer at Green Park.

Anyone know if there are many stairs there? There are two of us, we'll each have a backpack and a larger bag with rollers. Don't mind walking too much, but if there are many stairs, we may explore other options.

This will be on a Friday in late August if it makes any difference, 27 Aug. Our trans-Atlantic flight arrives at LHR around 10am, so I imagine we'd be on our way around 11:30ish.

Thanks!
aztimm is offline  
Old Jul 6, 10, 2:41 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: SE1, London
Posts: 21,916
It is step free...but do not follow the transfer signs. Instead head to the exit from the Piccadilly Line and when you reach the main ticket hall (with all the ticket barriers) simply follow the signs for the Jubilee. Step free at London Bridge too though you do have a 5 min from there to the hotel. Get on the back of the Piccadilly line train at Heathrow to avoid a walk along the platform at Green Park.
Swanhunter is offline  
Old Jul 6, 10, 2:56 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: SE1, London
Posts: 21,916
It is step free...but do not follow the transfer signs. Instead head to the exit from the Piccadilly Line and when you reach the main ticket hall (with all the ticket barriers) simply follow the signs for the Jubilee. Step free at London Bridge too though you do have a 5 min from there to the hotel. Get on the back of the Piccadilly line train at Heathrow to avoid a walk along the platform at Green Park.
Swanhunter is offline  
Old Jul 6, 10, 3:30 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,605
You can avoid the journey up and down at Green Park by getting off the Tube at Hammersmith, walking a few feet to the adjacent platform then taking a District Line Tube to Westminster where you can use the elevators to get to the Jubilee Line. No stairs, no escalators
alanR is offline  
Old Jul 6, 10, 3:32 pm
  #5  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: AUS / GRK
Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Posts: 11,308
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Thanks for the quick reply!

We've been to London twice before but used a car service both times. Thinking of ways to save some money, and this is will help.
aztimm is offline  
Old Jul 6, 10, 3:38 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: SE1, London
Posts: 21,916
Originally Posted by alanR View Post
You can avoid the journey up and down at Green Park by getting off the Tube at Hammersmith, walking a few feet to the adjacent platform then taking a District Line Tube to Westminster where you can use the elevators to get to the Jubilee Line. No stairs, no escalators
Ahh, good call. I'd forgotten there are lifts to the District platforms at Westminster.
Swanhunter is offline  
Old Jul 6, 10, 5:40 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: London
Programs: BA, AC, NZ
Posts: 1,183
There is step-free transfer (lifts) between the Piccadilly and Jubilee lines at Green Park. No need to go to Westminster.

You can validate this with the tfl journey planner (tfl.gov.uk) and setting the "mobility requirements" options.
Reason077 is offline  
Old Jul 6, 10, 5:52 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: LAX, SNA, LGB
Programs: Global Entry, UA, AA, BA, DL, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 264
Originally Posted by Reason077 View Post
You can validate this with the tfl journey planner (tfl.gov.uk) and setting the "mobility requirements" options.
I would also suggest checking Service Advisories at the TFL website to make sure that maintenance is not being performed on the lifts you are planning to use.
Barcky is offline  
Old Jul 7, 10, 3:50 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: SE1, London
Posts: 21,916
Originally Posted by Reason077 View Post
There is step-free transfer (lifts) between the Piccadilly and Jubilee lines at Green Park. No need to go to Westminster.

You can validate this with the tfl journey planner (tfl.gov.uk) and setting the "mobility requirements" options.
However it is a long long walk and the Jubilee lift often doesn't work there.
Swanhunter is offline  
Old Jul 7, 10, 3:53 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: London
Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Posts: 25,679
Agree with all this (Hilton TB is next to my office). London Bridge is a new station and step free to the Jubilee Line platform - there is a lift but you may need to be shown where it is, plus escalators.

If you change at Green Park, take the escalators to the ticket hall and then the escalators back down. Follow the Way Out signs and not the Piccadilly Line signs.
Raffles is offline  
Old Jul 7, 10, 12:26 pm
  #11  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: AUS / GRK
Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Posts: 11,308
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Originally Posted by Raffles
Agree with all this (Hilton TB is next to my office). London Bridge is a new station and step free to the Jubilee Line platform - there is a lift but you may need to be shown where it is, plus escalators.

If you change at Green Park, take the escalators to the ticket hall and then the escalators back down. Follow the Way Out signs and not the Piccadilly Line signs.
Thanks, I've been to the London Bridge station before. I think we'll be ok using the escalators, the bags aren't too terribly large.

And if you're up for a mini FT do, since you're just next door, let me know. There used to be a dive bar across from the TB hotel with cheap beer.
aztimm is offline  
Old Jul 8, 10, 1:08 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Posts: 224
Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
Agree with all this (Hilton TB is next to my office). London Bridge is a new station and step free to the Jubilee Line platform - there is a lift but you may need to be shown where it is, plus escalators.

If you change at Green Park, take the escalators to the ticket hall and then the escalators back down. Follow the Way Out signs and not the Piccadilly Line signs.
Thanks for this tip. I've changed here loads of times and it's a pain - I have always followed the signs and shall certainly try this next time.
mickeypops is offline  
Old Aug 27, 19, 3:40 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 28
Hi all! Reviving a bit of an old thread.

Does anyone have recent experience with this route at Green Park from the Piccadilly line to Jubilee?

Iíve always just followed the signs for Jubilee. Iíve not gone up the escalators than over to the Jubilee escalator like this suggests.

My mom and I will be visiting London this autumn. She is a bit slower of a walker. The route suggested in this thread sounds like itís a shorter route from Piccadilly to Jubilee. Am I correct in this assumption?

I checked TFLís site and they also suggest
Piccadilly to Hammersmith
Transfer to District
District to Westminster
Transfer to Jubilee
Jubilee to Southwark

Thank you for your time!
HardToConcentrate is offline  
Old Aug 27, 19, 4:20 pm
  #14  
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe, and Carbon Conscious Travel
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Biggleswade
Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Posts: 13,448
It's absolutely the quickest way to transfer at Green Park. Not only is there less distance to cover, most of it is covered for you, mechanically.

The TfL-suggested route may be quicker, despite the two changes. Piccadilly to District at Hammersmith is a cross-platform change (if it's quiet, I'd suggest Barons Court instead, as it's a rather lovely station), and District to Jubilee at Westminster can be done on an escalator or lift without much walking.
stut is offline  
Old Aug 27, 19, 5:29 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 28
Originally Posted by stut View Post
It's absolutely the quickest way to transfer at Green Park. Not only is there less distance to cover, most of it is covered for you, mechanically.

The TfL-suggested route may be quicker, despite the two changes. Piccadilly to District at Hammersmith is a cross-platform change (if it's quiet, I'd suggest Barons Court instead, as it's a rather lovely station), and District to Jubilee at Westminster can be done on an escalator or lift without much walking.
Thank you stut!

This is so helpful! Iíll keep Baronís Court in mind as well.

This will be my momís first visit to London, and the UK for that matter. Sheís so excited! Thank you for taking the time to respond to my inquiry. We appreciate it a great deal.

Best,
Kim
HardToConcentrate is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: