Wiki Posts
Search

London tube transfer at Green Park

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2019, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by HardToConcentrate
Does anyone have recent experience with this route at Green Park from the Piccadilly line to Jubilee?

I’ve always just followed the signs for Jubilee. I’ve not gone up the escalators than over to the Jubilee escalator like this suggests.

My mom and I will be visiting London this autumn. She is a bit slower of a walker. The route suggested in this thread sounds like it’s a shorter route from Piccadilly to Jubilee. Am I correct in this assumption?
Originally Posted by stut
It's absolutely the quickest way to transfer at Green Park. Not only is there less distance to cover, most of it is covered for you, mechanically.
For anyone who wants to see the reasons, this image will help: https://cdn.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/wp-...green-park.jpg

However, my usual route is also Piccadilly Line --> District Line --> Jubilee Line (and I also usually change at Barons Court rather than Hammersmith). In addition to the reasons that stut mentions, the Piccadilly Line can be quite slow going through the bendy bits between South Kensington and Hyde Park Corner.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 5:10 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by Globaliser
For anyone who wants to see the reasons, this image will help: https://cdn.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/wp-...green-park.jpg

However, my usual route is also Piccadilly Line --> District Line --> Jubilee Line (and I also usually change at Barons Court rather than Hammersmith). In addition to the reasons that stut mentions, the Piccadilly Line can be quite slow going through the bendy bits between South Kensington and Hyde Park Corner.
Ha! I did this yesterday evening both ways! Had a discussion with the other half as to which route is quicker. You need to factor in where you get off the train and if it's worth walking to the other entrance etc. However with baggage it's a no brainer to take the escalators. Yes there are lifts between the Jubilee and Piccadilly line tunnel but I've seen 3 or 4 lift loads of people waiting to use them at times.

We also do the change at Westminster depending on time of day. Our reasons include that getting off at Green Park can be murder as the train gets packed at Knightsbridge (time dependent) and in morning peaks, getting on the Jubilee line with luggage doesn't make you popular - if you can get on. For us we stay on the District/Circle line to Monument and change for the DLR to Canary Wharf. Also there's the option of going to Mile End and taking the D7 or 277 bus to Canary Wharf, but it does mean stairs up at the station. Never done it, but always an option if some part of the network is down.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 6:15 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
Originally Posted by dddc
Ha! I did this yesterday evening both ways! Had a discussion with the other half as to which route is quicker. You need to factor in where you get off the train and if it's worth walking to the other entrance etc. However with baggage it's a no brainer to take the escalators. Yes there are lifts between the Jubilee and Piccadilly line tunnel but I've seen 3 or 4 lift loads of people waiting to use them at times.

We also do the change at Westminster depending on time of day. Our reasons include that getting off at Green Park can be murder as the train gets packed at Knightsbridge (time dependent) and in morning peaks, getting on the Jubilee line with luggage doesn't make you popular - if you can get on. For us we stay on the District/Circle line to Monument and change for the DLR to Canary Wharf. Also there's the option of going to Mile End and taking the D7 or 277 bus to Canary Wharf, but it does mean stairs up at the station. Never done it, but always an option if some part of the network is down.
If you need to get to Canary Wharf it can be worth crossing platform at mile end, then going to Stratford and changing to Jubilee Line back - lengthy but likely faster than bus...
Old Sep 9, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by jimlad48
If you need to get to Canary Wharf it can be worth crossing platform at mile end, then going to Stratford and changing to Jubilee Line back - lengthy but likely faster than bus...
That used to be a zone change, but thankfully they altered the zones a little while ago to make it zone 2/3. You'd also have to negotiate stairs down the central line platform and up a few to the concourse in front of the Jubilee line. There may be lifts but I've not had the need to use them!

Also the bus has the added advantage of dropping me to my front door almost - no walk through the crowds of office workers with my cases from the tube. I used to be able to take the bus from the station, but since the end of 2012 they closed off Heron Quay to traffic and it's more hassle than it's worth to get the bus from the other stop. Easier just to walk it home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.