Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IRIS — thoughts and opinions?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2010, 2:09 am
Original Poster

IRIS — thoughts and opinions?

I wonder what people's latest thoughts are on IRIS? It seems that it's easy enough to register, but
(a) is it easy to use once registered? (e.g. are there times when it doesn't recognise you even though you're registered? do you find that you're standing too close/too far away and so it doesn't work properly? other problems with its use?)
(b) is it usually open (there are lots of reports of the IRIS machines being shut, but is this now a thing of the past)?
(c) is it generally quicker than waiting in the ordinary passport queue (I have a British passport)?
I have several trips coming up in the next two or three weeks, so all thoughts about these questions or anything else IRIS-related welcome!
Old Mar 20, 2010, 2:31 am

Can't answer a) because of b) and I rarely find anyway that a British passport holder takes a long time to get through passport control - I've certainly never had an occasion where it took so long to get through passport control that my luggage was waiting for me.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 4:55 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by Christopher
(a) is it easy to use once registered?
Incredibly. It's very straightforward and there's no feeling in the world like sailing past a group of people all sullenly waiting for their turn in the queue when you've just cleared passport control in 4 seconds.

are there times when it doesn't recognise you even though you're registered?
Never in my experience.

do you find that you're standing too close/too far away and so it doesn't work properly?
It tells you if you are standing too close or too far away. There are also little "eye" symbols on the mirrored screen that you look into and it's really easy to line your eyes up with them.

other problems with its use?
None in my experience.

(b) is it usually open
Always.

(there are lots of reports of the IRIS machines being shut, but is this now a thing of the past)?
There were reports of some closures at the beginning. The only time a booth has been closed in my 50+ instances of using the service was returning into LHR from the US three days after the pants bomber this past Christmas. I still wonder if it was a coincidence.

(c) is it generally quicker than waiting in the ordinary passport queue (I have a British passport)?
Always.

I have several trips coming up in the next two or three weeks, so all thoughts about these questions or anything else IRIS-related welcome!
Signing up was the best ten minutes I have ever spent. It has literally saved me hours in the immigration queues (as you surely know, even for EEA nationals they can take an eternity sometimes). Do it; you will not be sorry, I promise you.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do it. It is not always quicker - but 95% of the time it will be. Closures still happen from time to time (a T3 closure last year was very inconvenient) but overall the service is great. Long may it continue.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 10:38 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have seen it closed but when it's open, it's invariably faster for non-British citizens. I wish we had it in the U.S. and also wish they had it at Eurostar.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 1:26 pm

You are more likely to have a problem with a G4S "line keeper" insisting that you are supposed to fill out a landing card for IRIS or that a non-EU citizen cannot use the service than you are to actually have problems with the system.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 12:17 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by B747-437B
You are more likely to have a problem with a G4S "line keeper" insisting that you are supposed to fill out a landing card for IRIS or that a non-EU citizen cannot use the service than you are to actually have problems with the system.
Never had this problem when using IRIS.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 2:42 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by B747-437B
This would indicate to me that you will likely never have problems with the system.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 3:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
In at leat 80% of my trips through LHR and LGW, IRIS has made for a speedy arrival. T1, T3 and LGW North hardly have any queues. Most registered pax go through T5. I have seen nightmare queues for EU passport holders at terminals other than T5.

The only problem is IRIS is that certain individuals cannot follow audio instructions like move closer (ie move your head closer to the screen), or move back (ie move your head away from the screen). I hear the instructions staying in the queue and can see the no visible movement in the individual placement of head - and then they complain IRIS does not work and wonder why it does work for other pax.

IRIS is a god-send for me.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 5:20 am

Programs: LY Plat, BMI DC Gold, VS Gold, Hertz #1 Club Gold, Sixt Plat
+10 ^^

Definately amazing, and a real time saver. As ajax says - being able to clear Passport Control in 4 seconds is an amazing feeling

I've never seen it closed (I mostly use LHR T1 and T3), and the only time I ever had problems with it was when the person in front managed to put his bag in the way of the door, so when it closed, it jammed it. However, within about 30 seconds, someone from UKBA came over, opened up a dedicated desk for all of the people in the IRIS line, and simply just swiped us all through on the 'regular' computer system
Old Mar 21, 2010, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sn1ke
I've never seen it closed (I mostly use LHR T1 and T3)
There were frequent closures in the early days but it has become much more reliable now.

Originally Posted by KenJohn
The only problem is IRIS is that certain individuals cannot follow audio instructions
Not to mention those who think they can use it even though they have never registered for it (fewer of these too, it seems to me,thank god).
On the audio instructions, I tend to find it easier and faster in any event to follow the visual clues to align your eyes with the virtual glasses on the screen.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 9:28 am

Programs: Star Alliance, KLM Flying Blue
I find using IRIS fast and very simple. However unless you only have carry on or 'priority luggage' with the airline you flew with you could end up kicking your heels waiting for your bags to show up on the luggage carousel. So if you are an EU passport holder you might not get out of arrivals any quicker if you are waiting for hold luggage. If you are NON EU then it is most definitely worth it.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:51 am

Programs: LY Plat, BMI DC Gold, VS Gold, Hertz #1 Club Gold, Sixt Plat
It's a good point about waiting for luggage.
However, even if you might be waiting for checked luggage, using the IRIS system when the regular channels are totally full (I've been in LHR when there have been well over 1500 people waiting to clear UKBA) makes a lot of sense

The annoying thing is that they don't have it at Luton (yet)

The following link shows the up-to-date status of all IRIS stations in the UK, and where to find them
Code:
http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/managingborders/technology/iris/howenterwithiris/
Old Mar 21, 2010, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd prefer to 'kick my heels' in the reclaim hall over standing in a long queue.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by sn1ke
It's a good point about waiting for luggage.
However, even if you might be waiting for checked luggage, using the IRIS system when the regular channels are totally full (I've been in LHR when there have been well over 1500 people waiting to clear UKBA) makes a lot of sense

The annoying thing is that they don't have it at Luton (yet)

The following link shows the up-to-date status of all IRIS stations in the UK, and where to find them
Code:
http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/managingborders/technology/iris/howenterwithiris/
Interesting link...when did they move IRIS in Terminal 1. I have always found it to the right of Passport Control.

As for the OP's questions:
a) I have had problems at the Terminal 1 IRIS (there is only one unit and it has 'rejected' me at least twice (it obtains a successful scan but then states something only the lines that it can't find me in the database). I have checked at the IRIS office and they don't know what would be causing the problem. Their advise was to go to another machine if one rejects me. Unfortunately, there is only 1 machine at Terminal 1.

b) Always open.

c) Definitely worth using, especially if you only have carry on but there are also times of the day when the lines can be long.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.