Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Passport expiration rules for a US citizen entering the UK?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2009, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC

Quick question - I know there've been a variety of these threads covering what to do if you are close to passport expiration. (For example, it's widely known that South Africa won't admit you if you're within 6 months of passport expiration when at the border.)

I'm in a situation where a trip is scheduled to the United Kingdom from the US; the passport remains valid for the entire duration of the trip, but it will be within a month of expiration (the trip is in early February, and passport expiration is early March.)

Does the United Kingdom require a certain amount of spare passport validity for visitors, or is everything fine as long as the passport remains valid for the whole trip? (I've contacted the embassy, but they're probably out for the Christmas holidays, so if I need to start a renewal with the state department, I'd like to get the ball rolling ASAP.) Will the airline and US CBP also be OK with it?

Also, for others looking for this sort of thing in the future - is there any authoritative source that lists the rules around passport expiration for all countries? I tried searching both flyertalk and the web in general, but came up empty handed...

Thanks,
Ben
Old Dec 24, 2009, 8:04 pm

I usually use this tool:

http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/home.htm

But I also like to confirm the information I find there with my destination country (immigration department website or similar).

Last edited by yyzvoyageur; Dec 24, 2009 at 8:20 pm Reason: Detail.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 7:56 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by BenA
Will the airline and US CBP also be OK with it?
US CBP ordinarily won't care because they are not generally tasked with enforcing the other country's immigration rules and because a valid US passport is valid in their eyes for the entire period of validity noted in the passport (unless other action has been taken by the US government to invalidate the passport).

The airline more often than not won't make an issue of it, but they ought to pay attention to the passport validity date-related rules (if any) of the receiving country.

When entering the UK, the UK immigration authorities haven't cared to stop entries on my US passport on the basis of upcoming passport expiration date, but then again I've always had plans to depart long before the passport would become invalid for travel.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Researched this for my boss recently when we stated he was going to the UK with only about 2-3 months validity on his passport.

UK does not enforce any additional requirements beyond your passport must be valid for the length of the stay.

He got back a few weeks ago, and confirmed that he didn't have any issues.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 5:28 am

Programs: BA GfL
The US and UK have bilateral agreements to extend the life of passports to 6 months beyond their expiration date, so one can use a US passport in the UK (and UK passport in the US) until the day it expires.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 5:26 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Peregrine415
The US and UK have bilateral agreements to extend the life of passports to 6 months beyond their expiration date, so one can use a US passport in the UK (and UK passport in the US) until the day it expires.
I'm afraid this is absolutely not the case for UK passports in the US, which must have at least 6 months' validity remaining to ensure continued entry to the US, even for those like myself with a permanent resident card.

The UK passport agency now regularly add an additional period to the validity of a passport for this very reason. For example, if you renew 7 months early because of the US's 6-month rule, you will receive a new passport valid for 10 years and 7 months, compensating for what you lose by early renewal.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 8:31 am

According to the US State Department website, the UK only requires a valid passport (no 6-month minimum reqt, etc):

"While some countries impose a minimum passport validity of three, six, or nine months for arriving passengers, there is no such requirement for the United Kingdom. U.S. citizens seeking entry as tourists or visitors are simply required to present a valid passport, as explained on the website of the UK Border Agency."

US State Dept website for "International Travel" (just pick your country!):

- http://travel.state.gov/travel/travel_1744.html

Here's the one for Great Britain (UK):

- http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1052.html
Old Dec 25, 2010, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by 1P
I'm afraid this is absolutely not the case for UK passports in the US, which must have at least 6 months' validity remaining to ensure continued entry to the US, even for those like myself with a permanent resident card.

The UK passport agency now regularly add an additional period to the validity of a passport for this very reason. For example, if you renew 7 months early because of the US's 6-month rule, you will receive a new passport valid for 10 years and 7 months, compensating for what you lose by early renewal.
For UK non-immigrants visiting the United States, the UK passport is only required to be valid for the length of the intended stay in the United States not 6 months beyond the intended stay. (UK is a member of the "6 month club") This is by international agreement. If you are a Permanent Resident with a valid LPR card, you are not required to have a valid UK passport at all. All you are required to have is a valid LPR card, valid re-entry permit or valid refugee travel document upon entry depending upon your individual circumstances.

FB

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/...n_04162008.pdf

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_sa.html
Old Dec 25, 2010, 2:33 am

Wow, sorry I didn't see that this thread is old.

FB
Old Dec 25, 2010, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by yyzvoyageur
I usually use this tool:

http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/home.htm

But I also like to confirm the information I find there with my destination country (immigration department website or similar).
As a practical matter, the airlines are often stricter in these issues than the country in question. The airlines use a system called Timatic to see what the requirements are. Delta has a nice interface to that system at http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...tion/index.jsp. According to it, the UK indeed only requires US passports be valid for the duration of stay.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 9:07 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by Firebug4
Wow, sorry I didn't see that this thread is old.

FB
Still a good thread.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 11:06 pm

Bumping up an old thread. I asked this in the Nexus thread as well, so I'll update if I get an answer there first.

I am going to the UK and Sweden in a month. On the day I fly out, I will have 4 months left on my passport. Will this be a problem with the airline, UK, or Sweden? I'll only be out of the country for a week and could carry my printed reservations with me to show I am definitely coming home.

I planned to renew it this month, but I actually have to go to Canada next week and cannot part with my passport right now. I have Nexus and could just use that, but then my Nexus info may not match my passport number if the renewal processes while I'm traveling.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 3:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by MissJ
Bumping up an old thread. I asked this in the Nexus thread as well, so I'll update if I get an answer there first.

I am going to the UK and Sweden in a month. On the day I fly out, I will have 4 months left on my passport. Will this be a problem with the airline, UK, or Sweden? I'll only be out of the country for a week and could carry my printed reservations with me to show I am definitely coming home.

I planned to renew it this month, but I actually have to go to Canada next week and cannot part with my passport right now. I have Nexus and could just use that, but then my Nexus info may not match my passport number if the renewal processes while I'm traveling.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Why is this so hard?
Why don't you get a new passport in 24 hours?
Pay for expedited or take your passport to a US passport office/agency and have it turned around the same day?
Several colleagues have done that in DC and other cities.

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Oct 1, 2017 at 3:37 am Reason: added colleagues
Old Oct 1, 2017, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
UK - for a US passport validity is required only to cover the length of your stay . (UK Governement advice)

Sweden - This requires validity of 3 months from the end of your trip (Swedish Government advice).

However, many airline check-in staff get antsy when a passport is close to expiry - and close means months not days - so you may have issues with airline check-in staff who will be risk averse.

Personally I always renew my passport at least 6 months in advance but in the UK we can have up to 9 months from an unexpired passport added to a new one but the US will likely have different rules.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 8:43 am

There isn't a passport agency where I live. I'll have to make a trip just to do it. But that's probably my only safe bet. If I were working right now, I don't know if they would be an option but I just moved an am enjoying some time off.

Otherwise, I'd have no problem paying to expedite, but I'm out of the country next week, back for only two, and then out again. Seems pretty risky to mail something off.

Looks like a day trip to Atlanta for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.