Wiki Posts
Search

Ireland: Driving from DUB to Cork

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2009, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P MM, SPG Lifetime Gold
Ireland: Driving from DUB to Cork

What sort of road conditions can I expect? I understand there is not a US style freeway connecting the 2 cities, but want to get a better understanding of what the road is like. Is it pretty clear how to get to Cork from Dublin or should I get a GPS (I'm pretty good with directions btw)? Is there well marked signage?

Any advice on what to expect or tips on what to watch for are much appreciated. Also, any tips on whether there are any must see sights would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
Originally Posted by PCTraveler
What sort of road conditions can I expect? I understand there is not a US style freeway connecting the 2 cities, but want to get a better understanding of what the road is like. Is it pretty clear how to get to Cork from Dublin or should I get a GPS (I'm pretty good with directions btw)? Is there well marked signage?

Any advice on what to expect or tips on what to watch for are much appreciated. Also, any tips on whether there are any must see sights would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Your understanding would be wrong. There are motorways almost the entire way - just one short (13.5 km) missing section which will will open within a year, between the M7 and the current start of the M8 at Cullahill. However it is not a "freeway" all the way as there is one toll section at Fermoy in Co. Cork, and there is a toll bridge on the M50 in Dublin.

Also, you should remember that there are good alternatives to driving, such as an hourly interval intercity train service.

Last edited by Wexflyer; Sep 30, 2009 at 9:16 pm
Old Oct 1, 2009, 12:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wexflyer
Your understanding would be wrong. There are motorways almost the entire way - just one short (13.5 km) missing section which will will open within a year, between the M7 and the current start of the M8 at Cullahill. However it is not a "freeway" all the way as there is one toll section at Fermoy in Co. Cork, and there is a toll bridge on the M50 in Dublin.

Also, you should remember that there are good alternatives to driving, such as an hourly interval intercity train service.
Thanks. I've looked in to the train but with the transfers (I'm actually going to Bantry) on both ends to the Dublin airport, found it easier to drive. Plus on Sunday morning when I return to Dublin, the intervals for the bus and the train are not as frequent.

Maybe it's the Cork to Bantry route that doesn't have a proper motorway?
Old Oct 1, 2009, 3:07 pm

Programs: BD,Skyteam,QF
Originally Posted by PCTraveler

Maybe it's the Cork to Bantry route that doesn't have a proper motorway?
Why do you want a 'proper' motorway from a city to a seaside town? The roads are perfectly adequate, and the traffic volume doesn't justify a motorway.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by measures
Why do you want a 'proper' motorway from a city to a seaside town? The roads are perfectly adequate, and the traffic volume doesn't justify a motorway.
Slow down measures, apologize if I insinuated something different. I never indicated that I 'want' a proper motorway. I only asked what to expect.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 3:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
The road(s) from Dublin to Cork are pretty good now. I did the journey earlier in the year in three hours or less ... it's not eight-lane (four on each side) US freeways. But certainly you get four or six-lane highway a good chunk of the distance. Once you get to Cork and off the toll road, the road to Bantry is winding and can be narrow, but that adds to the charm .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.