Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > TWA FFB/Aviators
Reload this Page >

Please help with Q-points run to make EXP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2001, 10:12 am
Original Poster

I want to do my first mileage run to make EXP. I have 84,000 Q-points and am trying to make EXP on points, ex-BOS. I thought it would be easier on TWA since I can buy a discount ticket and still get 1 point/mile.

I've found BOS-STL-LGW r/t for $700 for 10,500 points and BOS-STL-ORD for $180 for 4,090 points. I think I could nest two of the ORD trips in one weekend and get 8,180 points over a weekend for $360 and sleep at home.

Does anyone have any suggestions for other trips?

I'm new at this--can I use my AA 500-mile upgrades on these flights? Also, if I book a TWA flight, do I use my AA or TWA number?

Thanks for any help!
Old Oct 24, 2001, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Here's what I booked:

TKT 1 BOS-STL 0830-1048
TKT 1 STL-ORD 1300-1419
TKT 2 ORD-STL 1509-1631
TKT 2 STL-LGW 1920-0940 +1
TKT 2 LGW-STL 1130-1515
TKT 2 STL-ORD 1711-1830
TKT 1 ORD-STL 1920-2038
TKT 1 STL-BOS 2131-0100 +1

TKT 1 cost $183 and TKT 2 cost $467, ($650 total) yielding 14,488 Q pts and 43,464 miles.

Any advice on which seats to take on the 767 in Y in case I can't upgrade would be much appreciated. I am looking for the most legroom.

Thanks.
Old Oct 24, 2001, 11:05 pm

jmorris,

Thanks for giving TWA a try, it's not bad and MRTC has reached most of the planes so it should be comparable to AA in that way. A couple of points about the itinerary you have posted:

- I'm not quite able to match your mileage calculation. Apparently if you credit the flights to your AA account then you will get 1 full Q point per mile flown. The upside of that is you also receive your platinum bonus (100%). However, you will only get 500 miles per segment within the midwest. I see the total around 12,500 miles. I believe you're calculating those legs at 1,000 miles. That earning is only for TWA elites earning on TWA Aviator accounts.

- Were you to credit the flights to your TWA (I'm assuming non-elite) Aviators account then you will only get the 12,500 miles and no elite bonus. Unless there is a way to comp you to Elite status on TWA, not the way to go.

- Do not expect any kind of complimentary upgrade on the international portion of your itinerary. TWA does not do this, nor is there a way, beyond redeeming miles, to do it.

- Most legroom is the first row of economy behind first class, row 7. TWA's 767's are pretty well utilized, not especially comfortable in back. Grin and bear it.

Old Oct 25, 2001, 6:23 am
Original Poster

tfjim,

Thanks for your reply. I also read your post in an adjacent thread and still have a few questions.

If I use my AAdvantage number, do the flights post to my AA account at 1 qualifying point/mile even though it's a NR ticket? Or do I need to use my TWA number to get the extra points? Also, even if I can get comped Elite 1 on TWA, I would still earn only 500 points/miles for the STL-ORD legs if I use my AA number, right?

Thanks for your warning on the upgrades. I'm 6'3" so I am not looking forward to this. Does the middle section of row 7 have extra legroom too, or just the sides?

Thanks!

Old Oct 25, 2001, 9:05 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jmorris:
If I use my AAdvantage number, do the flights post to my AA account at 1 qualifying point/mile even though it's a NR ticket? Or do I need to use my TWA number to get the extra points?</font>
If you post to your AA account you should get the 1 point/mile, even on non-Y/B tickets. (this seems to be the collective experience of other AA people posting here). If you use your TWA number it is not certain how these miles will convert to AA come November 30th. You would also miss out on your Platinum bonus.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Also, even if I can get comped Elite 1 on TWA, I would still earn only 500 points/miles for the STL-ORD legs if I use my AA number, right?</font>
Correct. The 1,000 status mile minimum for elite Aviators is one of the better mileage earning benefits that will be expiring November 30th.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Thanks for your warning on the upgrades. I'm 6'3" so I am not looking forward to this. Does the middle section of row 7 have extra legroom too, or just the sides?</font>
Actually it appears that row 11 (767-200) or 16 (767-ER) is the first row of economy now (post-MRTC). The center section has the good legroom also. Others may be able to better comment on this as it's been about 4 years since I've seen the coach section of any TWA airplane. (oh, how I'll miss TWA and Aviators)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.