FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TWA FFB/Aviators (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/twa-ffb-aviators-401/)
-   -   No more Elite 1 phone # (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/twa-ffb-aviators/86827-no-more-elite-1-phone.html)

socalterp Oct 8, 2001 9:52 pm

No more Elite 1 phone #

Well,

The 800 # still works, but you no longer get a prompt to enter your Aviators number. This has meant long, long hold times as it appeared that you basically joined the regular Aviators 800 number queue- I gave up a couple of times today after 15+ minutes. Before, I never had to wait more than a few seconds. And to compound the problem, the regular 800 reservations number has been extremely busy, with long hold times when you can even get through.

Is the Plat number still working? Makes it really hard to get easy questions answered and to do easy things like seat assignments.

tfjim Oct 9, 2001 10:04 am

Geez, oh well. Does the local St. Louis number get any better response than the regular line? This will stink when it comes to calling for upgrades over the next few months. I'm going to Hawaii next weekend and am very much looking forward to upgrading.

lalala Oct 9, 2001 10:55 am

Yuppers and gosh, when you do get through and ask for mundane requests to the aviators line like seat requests or making sure your upgrades go through, the tell you not to call because they are really busy.

hmmm.

so, if you call the regular number, you can't get through, if you call the aviators number, you don't get service. Maybe it would be easier to drive to the airport and deal with requests in person.

lala

tfjim Oct 9, 2001 1:46 pm

lalala,

I'm considering that. But I wonder if they've closed the CTO here in St. Louis. Socal, can you confirm if that place is still open downtown?

socalterp Oct 9, 2001 5:02 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tfjim:
lalala,

I'm considering that. But I wonder if they've closed the CTO here in St. Louis. Socal, can you confirm if that place is still open downtown?
</font>
Don't know about the one downtown in the America's Center. Have used it before, as it's a short walk from my office, but not lately.

Know that the one that used to be in the Best Western on the Park in the CWE on Lindell is closed...

socalterp Oct 9, 2001 5:03 pm

My read is that it's not that they're so busy, but that staffing levels have been cut...less people answering the phones.

I had no trouble in the days immediately after Sept 11 changing reservations, but it's been bad for a couple of weeks now.

lalala Oct 10, 2001 11:07 am

They claim to be busy and they are cut down to one office. I'm not sure which one. Didn't they have offices in Chicago, Richmond or Norfolk, and St. Louis? Anyways, when we talked to a Aviators person pre-Sept 11, she said that she was offered a transfer to Chicago.

However, based on the new Seattle info, seems like most TWA folks will be transfered and then laid off soon thereafter.

sigh.

tfjim Oct 16, 2001 10:19 am

Well, I just called 5 minutes ago to upgrade my STL-HNL flight this Friday. Indeed, there is now no longer any indication that the Elite 1 phone number is exclusive, seems to shuttle you into a general Aviators system. However, I was only on hold about 1 minute, got a helpful, enthusiastic agent who was more than helpful to upgrade me to first for the flight. Glad of that. I'm anticipating similar good fortune for my return flight, OGG-STL on Monday.

By the way, for the outbound I chose seat 1J. On the 767-ER I kind of like the bulkhead. I think on the return though for the overnight flight back I will choose an aisle seat in the middle section, maybe 4G. What are peoples' preferences/recommendations for this?

lalala Oct 16, 2001 3:18 pm

I'm happy to hear you had a short time on hold. I am checking friday for my monday upgrades, so stay tuned.

RE: 767s

I still like the bulkhead for o/n flights. However, the appeal of the middle is no one
is climbing over you to get to the restroom.

I hope you have a great trip!!!!!!!

lala

socalterp Oct 16, 2001 5:44 pm

Interesting thing was that when I called the other day to upgrade my LAS flight, the agent answered w/ "Aviators Elite Desk..." so the number must still show something, but just be put in the regular queue.

As for the 767 FC seating, less space in the bulkhead- it feels more cramped, and I think that you really do have less legroom, as the footrest basically touches the bulkhead when fully extended. You really can't go wrong w/ any seat, though, especially given the state of FC service to Hawaii on AA and UA these days.

W/ fares as cheap as they are, it's tempting to make another run to Hawaii, especially w/ the double miles thing, and while the Elite 1 upgrade still works- what a great deal- a free upgrade on a 4000 mile flight. Another thing I'll miss dearly about TW...

Ambassador Oct 17, 2001 1:11 pm

tfjim

The only bad FC seats are center section bulkhead (people cut through to avoid FA's in galley) and anywhere in the last row. I always get a aisle seat on the overnights so that i can get up to the lav without waking my seatmate.

Ambassador Oct 17, 2001 1:14 pm

tfjim

The only bad FC seats are center section bulkhead (people cut through to avoid FA's in galley) and anywhere in the last row. I always get a aisle seat on the overnights so that i can get up to the lav without waking my seatmate.

tfjim Oct 17, 2001 1:31 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Ambassador:
The only bad FC seats are center section bulkhead (people cut through to avoid FA's in galley)</font>
Yeah, I've noticed that on my flights JFK-STL. Poor aircraft configuration and rather rude, but I suppose with the FA's blocking off the galley not much alternative.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">and anywhere in the last row. </font>
Why is that?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I always get a aisle seat on the overnights so that i can get up to the lav without waking my seatmate.</font>
This was my thought on the matter. Socal had mentioned that the bulkhead row lacks a bit of legroom, but I don't mind so much. Better than having someone recline all the way into me. I don't know how crowded the plane is going to be. ITN seat maps show the plane almost full, but seat availability being all in the "9"'s. I think this is because so many of the seats are pre-sold to bulk vacation package outfits. When I was calling for my upgrade the agent mentioned that the flight was "wide-open". I'll report back.