Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > TWA FFB/Aviators
Reload this Page >

TWA newbie trying to upgrade w/ TWA/AA certs

Old Aug 31, 01, 12:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Greetings TWA Board,

As I have just crossed the threshhold for United 1K for next year (with the help of two mileage runs to SIN), I'm feeling somewhat WILD and figured I would fly TWA. I'm headed from SNA-ATL in a couple of weeks and found some good routings on TWA.

Here's my question(s): AA/TWA sent me 4 upgrade certs a couple of months ago that I am going to try to use (ref code: ADUP). How easy are these to use? I typically book fairly hefty fare classes.

Not to sound snotty (too late, right?): How's the service in TW First? I'm used to UA, and I think it's pretty good. I flew Northwest recently and think theirs is a joke. Anyone have any comparison comments.

Happy flying!
Old Aug 31, 01, 9:18 am

I would like to set your expectation level on the lower end of the scale. If this is your scale:

High-------------------------------------Low
United------------------------------Northwest
----------------------------TWA-------------

I think TWA lands somewhere there.

The food is not as good as United first class. I've had some great meals DEN-STL on United. However, TWA's 757's are fairly comfortable in first, and there will be entertainment. Your connecting times look good and St. Louis is actually a fairly easy connect. FA's can be anywhere from crotchedy and old to fun and old to fun and young to young and dumb but eager.

Old Aug 31, 01, 9:25 am

SNA 1K -- ADUP certs are fairly easy to use, as they are confirmable immediately after ticketing.

Also, in general I agree with tfjim's assessment, with the exception of certain connections at STL. C34 to D36 is a loooong walk... http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif
Old Aug 31, 01, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Eugene:

Also, in general I agree with tfjim's assessment, with the exception of certain connections at STL. C34 to D36 is a loooong walk... http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif[/B]</font>

I would say that anywhere to C36 is a long walk, especially when there is the "wall" of people coming down the concourse...those of you who've been through STL know what I'm talking about...
Old Sep 2, 01, 9:14 am

Yes, it's a long walk, but I wonder any longer than some of the other crazy airports out there. The wall of people can be a hassle I admit, no worse than Times Square on New Years.

I fell victim to that wall of people just on Friday. My flight, TW66, STL-JFK, leaving from C34, there was a long line at the 1st class checkin so I went down to C concourse to Elite1/Platinum checkin, they were closed, so I worked my way all the way out to C34. Admittedly I was running a bit behind already, but by the time I got out there it was only 15 minutes before scheduled departure. They had given my seat away, many standbys standing around. Ah well...it was a nice evening so I went home, walked the dogs, went rollerblading and had a martini with the neighbors. Much more relaxing.

Search this Thread