FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TWA FFB/Aviators (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/twa-ffb-aviators-401/)
-   -   Earning Top Level from TWA over to AA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/twa-ffb-aviators/86786-earning-top-level-twa-over-aa.html)

NoStressHere Jul 26, 2001 6:10 pm

Earning Top Level from TWA over to AA

Okay, so I am about to earn Platinum on TWA based on spending $20,000.

Will that level transfer over? Everything I read talks about miles moving, etc.? And, it talks about being good until Feb. Normally, if I qualify in the summer, it would be good till through the following year? Help?

Island Jul 26, 2001 6:28 pm

Your combined AA and TWA qualifying mileage will be evaluated in Dec/Jan for elite status for next next year.

If you need, they will comp an existing status on TWA over to AA, up to AA Platinum. The EXP top tier will be evalutaed when the accounts are combined after Nov 30.

Good luck.

socalterp Jul 27, 2001 5:01 pm

Island,

Don't believe that your answer is entirely correct. A number of people I know who are TWA Platinums have been matched to AA EXP, and have received membership kits, upgrade certificates, etc. Indeed, all of the literature from AA has stated that they will match TW Elite to AA Gold, Elite 1 to Plat, and Plat to EXP...and have done so, to my knowledge.

In the past on TW, earning a higher level of status than the one previously held anytime after Jan 1 of a year entitles you to that Elite level through the remainder of that calendar year as well as the following year. So, if one passed $20000 in June 2000, you would get TW Platinum Status through the end of 2002. I'm hoping the same will hold now, so someone making Plat now on TW would earn EXP on AA through Feb 2003.

NoStressHere Jul 27, 2001 10:19 pm

Regarding the combining of miles to the new plan....

My miles are not that high, but the dollars are. Lots of last minute full fare tickets with low miles.

Just wanted to see if they would give me same top level at AA based on the TWA $$ program.

socalterp Jul 27, 2001 10:39 pm

My understanding is that as long as you qualify for Plat on TW before 11/30, it will be matched to EXP on AA. I know several people who have made Elite on TW for the first time this year, or have "upgraded" their status, and subsequently, been granted the "comparable" AA status as well.

SAPMAN Jul 28, 2001 9:25 am

I have been TWA Platinum (qualified in 2001 also) and last week got my AA Executive Platinum welcome packet with cards, bag tags, upgrade coupons, etc. Good until Feb 2002. I would hope when they evaluate for the 2002-2003 year, they will look at my 2001 activity (already at over 120,000 actual miles) and give me Exec. Plat. to Feb. 2003.

jaguar99 Aug 20, 2001 8:55 pm

I've went through the last couple of years as an Elite One and decided that to properly enter the world of AA, I'd better up my TWA mileage to hit Platinum.

I've done so, and have a couple of questions regarding the matching of status.

AA matched my E1 status with Platinum a couple of months ago. The agent said that no upgrade electronic certificates came with that type of transfer.

A couple of you mentioned that yuo received the systemwide upgrade certificates from AA with your EXP cards. Is this correct?

Thanks for the info.

freakflyer Aug 20, 2001 11:43 pm

Jag,

Yes, you get 8 one-way SWUs (EXPOWs) for every year that you qualify for EXP, and the same number the first year that you qualify. They are booked in full J/F for domestic flights and capacity controlled classes when on an international itinerary. We were spoiled in previous years with the VIP2s, which were booked in full J/F, but those are a thing of the past.

EXPs also get free domestic upgrades on full fare B/Y flights.

FF

jaguar99 Aug 21, 2001 6:22 am

FF, I just wanted to make sure that the upgrade certificates were included with the EXP kit, given the statement made by the agent when I was "cross referenced" as a AA Platinum. I would hate to miss out on these goodies.

Know I just have to figure out this electronic sticker program for domestic upgrades. I've gotten really spoiled as a CO Platinum and TWA E1.

freakflyer Aug 21, 2001 8:09 am

Jag,

The EXP packets for new qualifying members do include the upgrade certs (at least from personal experience and those that have talked about it on the boards). The coupons are valid for one year and must be used within the year - in the past with the VIP2s you had a year to ticket and a year to use them.

FF