Search

AmEx MR Points --> TWA --> AA?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2001, 12:11 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: SPG/Marriott Lifetime Gold, Amtrak Guest Rewards, UA Silver
AmEx MR Points --> TWA --> AA?

I have about 40,000 Membership Rewards Points that I normally would put into US Airways Dividend Miles, but I thought about putting them into a TWA account (I'd have to open one) and then have them be automatically transferred into my AAdvantage account when Aviators is cancelled.

I imagine I am not the first to think of this "back-door" way of getting AAdvantage miles, but has American or TWA announced any limits on transferring MR points or anything that would not allow me to do what I described?
Old Jun 19, 2001, 12:39 pm

Good idea, but a little too late. "Effective May 1, 2001, TWA will discontinue accepting enrollments for new Aviators members." If you already have a TWA account, you can continue to transfer MR points to TWA through July 3rd, and they will become AA miles.
Old Jun 22, 2001, 11:43 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: SPG/Marriott Lifetime Gold, Amtrak Guest Rewards, UA Silver
Shoot. Oh well. Thanks for the info, wigstheone.
Old Jul 17, 2001, 1:32 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DivMiler:
I have about 40,000 Membership Rewards Points that I normally would put into US Airways Dividend Miles</font>
Since you missed the boat on transfering MR to TWA, I'd suggest transfering a bunch to US Airways. The ability to combine AA and US mileage ends on August 23rd. So if you do it before then, and then either book a reward ticket or request a voucher (good for a year from the date of request ... I think though it might be longer than that). If you have an idea of reward flights you plan to take it a year, this might be a good option.

Old Jul 17, 2001, 4:11 pm

The 8/23 deadline is the last date one can redeem miles from US for travel on AA, or combine US and AA miles for travel on US or AA. So you can't get a "voucher" good for one year. The official announcement is:

Effective August 23, 2001, US Airways' participation in the AAdvantage program ends. Members must claim awards for travel on US Airways by August 23, 2001. All requests to combine Dividend Miles and AAdvantage miles or to claim an award for travel on US Airways must be received on or before August 23, 2001. All travel on the US Airways awards must be complete by June 30, 2002.

Old Jul 21, 2001, 12:32 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BeantownFlyer:
The 8/23 deadline is the last date one can redeem miles from US for travel on AA, or combine US and AA miles for travel on US or AA. So you can't get a "voucher" good for one year. The official announcement is:
</font>
Sorry I was off on the time frame, but you can indeed request an award certificate and use it before the June deadline, vs requesting an actual ticket. This gives you a slightly longer time frame in which to make your travel choices.

[This message has been edited by mch710 (edited 07-22-2001).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.