Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > TWA FFB/Aviators
Reload this Page >

AA won't honor liftime TW Ambassador memberships :(

Old Mar 1, 01, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP

This from the Q and A from AA's site:

Q: Would Ambassadors club lifetime members receive Admirals Club lifetime membership?

Ambassadors Club lifetime members would receive an Admirals’ Club membership complimentary for two years from the closing date and discounted pricing for each year beyond.

I hope AA reconsiders.
Old Mar 2, 01, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, QF Lifetime Gold, SPG Plat (Lifetime Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat
If this is true, I will pull all my significant business from AA, as well as the business I control...which will amount to a lot more than the cost of Admiral's Club membership.
Old Mar 2, 01, 1:54 pm

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass®, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
I don't believe that AA offers liftime Admirals Club membership anymore, do they?
Old Mar 2, 01, 5:48 pm

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
Snake,

No, AA no longer sells lifetime memberships. Nor does United. You can still buy them from USAirways, Northwest and Continental. TWA stopped selling them within days of their bankrupcy.

FF
Old Mar 2, 01, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Scratch USAirways from that list. They stopped multi-year memberships in January.
Old Mar 2, 01, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I just wrote to TW as well, asking them to inform all Ambassador life-members of this proposition. Hopefully we can get a letter campaign going.
Old Mar 3, 01, 8:48 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, QF Lifetime Gold, SPG Plat (Lifetime Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat
They may not sell them anymore, but they honor them.

This will cost AA more than they hope to gain.
Old Mar 3, 01, 4:52 pm

Location: Milwaukee, WI (Now 3 Million Miler) NWA 120 Segment Gold, CO Plat
Makes perfect sense. At least, in a large corporate mindset, ruled by bean counters, instead of people that have experience “in the trenches”, anyway. The first thing you want to do when taking over another company is immediately alienate their best customers, because “it looks good on paper”. I mean, how good of a customer can they possibly be if there is no chance of ever collecting any more money from them for annual membership fees to the club, right? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/confused.gif
Old Mar 4, 01, 9:06 am

I encourage you to complain.
Old Mar 4, 01, 9:29 am

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass®, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
Remember my friends, when your lifetime membership ends, it's better that you live to see it. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eek.gif
Old Mar 6, 01, 5:21 pm

Nice consolation http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/rolleyes.gif
Old Mar 8, 01, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Most recent update on communications. AA writes me:

Thank you for you questions and comments concerning TWA lifetime memberships and American's decision to provide holders of lifetime memberships two years of complimentary membership and discounted pricing for each year beyond as long as there is no lapse in the membership.

Our decision to make this offer was based on three distinct facts:

1. American does not currently offer a lifetime membership for its current members and currently does not intend to offer such in the future.

2. The membership offers access to 50 Admirals Club faciities worldwide and over 340 lounges throughout the oneworld system which greatly enhances the value of the membership offering to TWA lifetime members.

3. The Bankruptcy Court proceeding is still underway and American has a proposal to acquire TWA's assets. This process is an acquisition and distinct from a merger and the outcome is not under the control of American Airlines.

We look forward to serving you.

Admirals Club - HDQ

I write back:

Thank you for your reply. But it still leaves issues open:

1) True, TW does not have the club network that AA does. And I can understand where AA is commining from on this. So why not allow us lifetime access to those cities where TW has (and once had) clubs?

2) Why does AA consider two years to be complimentary? Less than a year ago
I paid close to $2000. This is not complimentary.

3) No, AA does not offer life membership. Neither does UA, but they are
honoring US life memberships. I am 1K with UA, and have life US membership.
Your decision may influence my decision on which airline to fly.

4) No, this is not a merger. But Pan Am didn't merge with DL, yet DL
honored the PA life memberships.

5) I just received a mailing from TW. Let me quote, "In the last few weeks you have read and heard a lot about TWA. As an Ambassadors Club member, you can rest assured that the news is very good and getting better every day."

Tell me, how is it getting better?

Again, please consider your potential customers.

[This message has been edited by zrs70 (edited 03-08-2001).]
Old Mar 8, 01, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IMHO you are fortunate to get anything. You made a business-type decision and assumed TWA would go on forever. It did not. It died a slow death. Please remember, the "lifetime membership" refers to the issuing company........not your lifetime. The TWA stockholders will probably get nil, nada, zilch. Why do you think you deserve more, and forever, too?

MisterNice
Old Mar 8, 01, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

MisterNice:

Points well taken. But I am not a stockholder. I am a loyal custmer. AA can do what it needs to do from a business and legal sense. Ethics probably don't matter.

Oh, you prefaced your remarks with "IMHO." I have learned that your comments never come off as humble!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by zrs70 (edited 03-08-2001).]
Old Mar 8, 01, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Humble, schmumble............the basic factual bottom line is you were a "loyal customer" of TWA. TWA joins Eastern, Midway, and the many others who screwed-up and went belly-up. Truthfully I am amazed AA even bought the TWA can-o-worms, and I suggest they quickly hire a large gaggle of lawyers to deal with their new acquisitions old mind-set.

Come to think of it, I think I will do a short sale on AA right now. Gotta call my broker. And, good luck.

MisterNice

Search this Thread