Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > TWA FFB/Aviators
Reload this Page >

AA won't honor liftime TW Ambassador memberships :(

AA won't honor liftime TW Ambassador memberships :(

Old Mar 25, 01, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
AA announced (in a carefully worded February 28 press release) that it would assume "all of TWA's obligations." Not some of them. All of them.

Lifetime lounge access, at least in those cities where TWA had lounges, is an obligation. AA could have chosen to exclude it. They didn't.

I don't have an Ambassadors Club membership of any sort, lifetime or otherwise, so I don't have a personal interest in where this comes down, but I must say I feel my favorite airline is being a bit short-sighted in this case over what must be a trivial amount of money relative to the other sums involved, the negative PR, and getting off on the right foot with TWA's top-tier flyers.
Old Mar 26, 01, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA/1K, DL/PM, AA/PLT, NW/SLV; SW/PLT, HH/DIA
Efrem,

Lifetime membership to the Ambassadors lounge is a committment. And I don't think that AA will ever stop someone with a Lifetime Membership from entering an Ambassador's club.

However, AA will probably close all of the Amabassadors clubs. Thus, no obligation.

This is similar to the lifetime PLT status that AA grants when you hit 2 million miles. It's for the life of the PLT program. Not for your life, or the life of AA.
Old Mar 26, 01, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat/QF Lifetime Gold/Bonvoy Lifetime Plat, Accor Plat, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
2Many...

The customary experience in airline acquisitions is that frequent flyer programs and club memberships are integrated in/vested. Most acquiring airlines are interested in preserving the goodwill and business of the acquired airline's good customers.

Aside from EA club memberships sold post bankruptcy but pre-acquisition (which were not honored by CO), I belive all previous airline acquirors have honored lifetime memberships, including EA lifetime memberships purchased pre-bankruptcy.

Aside from AA's announcement that they would be honoring all of TWA's obligations, no one is saying that AA has a legal obligation here...

It's just a business decision based on incremental club revenues vs. incremental airline passenger seat revenues, which I would think would be an easy one.
Old Mar 26, 01, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA/1K, DL/PM, AA/PLT, NW/SLV; SW/PLT, HH/DIA
nologic --

I am aware of the precident. And I do understand about goodwill. Personally, I think they should honor them -- or at least do so for longer than 2 years. Make it 5-8 years, so that anyone who bought their membership last year gets the full dollar value out of it at today's AC rates. They should do something more than 2 years -- I agree completely.

I'm just saying that their assertion that they will honor all obligations doesn't apply here, because they're closing down the Ambassador clubs.
Old Mar 27, 01, 6:23 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat/QF Lifetime Gold/Bonvoy Lifetime Plat, Accor Plat, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Good point. I agree that a literal interpretation of the "all obligations" claim would apply to the obligation to honor the cards for admittance to Ambassador clubs, not AC clubs.

But then, my argument is not based on obligation but good business sense (lots of good that did the folks at Delta).

Does 2 million miles get you lifetime AC admittance domestically?
Old Mar 27, 01, 8:52 am

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
Nologic -

2 million miles gets you lifetime platinum. If you are platinum they will let you into their clubs on international itineraries only (not Canada or Mexico).

FF

p.s. I doubt if AA said that they were accepting all of TWA's liabilities. There are tons of unsecured creditors which are getting very little out of the bankruptcy.
Old Mar 27, 01, 3:43 pm

Got it.

I didn't think 2 million got you domestic AC access, but I thought I read it on some other post.

Now, I guess I just have to wait and see whether they will honor my Aviator balance towards the 2 million miler benefits (puts me just over the hurdle!), and what they finally decide to do about the lifetime Ambassador membership?
Old Mar 28, 01, 8:44 am

I have got to believe that any miles moved over will count towards 1mm/2mm status, but not your lifetime accumulated TWA miles (otherwise they will have hoards of new lifetime AA Platinum's!). Just remember that the lifetime AA platinum program at 2mm is an unpublished benefit. Hopefully they won't take it away, but I have never seen it in any of their printed material (maybe somebody else can find it?).
Old Mar 28, 01, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
I would be very surprised if AA transfers all account balances from TWA into the lifetime mileage counter (although they do for other, smaller transfers like joint awards with US Airways). I expect that when the TWA transfer happens, the lifetime counter will be turned "off."

There must be hundreds of million-mile-plus Aviators balances that would immediately vest into lifetime gold on AAdvantage. AA has already demonstrated that there is a limit to their extension of benefits to Aviators members by the limitation on transferability of Ambassador Club lifetime memberships to Admirals Club lifetime memberships.

Have any top-tier TWA flyers heard one way or another from American on this?
Old Mar 28, 01, 5:54 pm

Originally posted by fastflyer:
I would be very surprised if AA transfers all account balances from TWA into the lifetime mileage counter

There must be hundreds of million-mile-plus Aviators balances that would immediately vest into lifetime gold on AAdvantage.
Ive got to think about this one. Lets say there are 100 or 200 Aviator accounts that have a prize eligible balance of 1,000,000 mils or more to transfer to AAdvantage.

First this appears to mean the member is not buring the miles they have earned over a long long period of time.

Next, these have got to be members that have contributed heavily to the TWA bottom line. Will they make the same contibution to AA ?

What does it really cost AA to make these, say 200, members vested lifetime gold ?

Im not sure how many members will actually carry that balance to AAdvantage, but Im guess AA will welcome them with open arms ?

On second thought, thats a lot of T and Z inventory to give out.

Interesting.

[This message has been edited by Island (edited 03-28-2001).]
Old Mar 28, 01, 5:54 pm

Duplicate, sorry.

[This message has been edited by Island (edited 03-28-2001).]
Old Mar 29, 01, 2:12 pm

It would seem to be pretty harsh to recognize any kind of mile, such as Citibank, etc. and then exclude Aviator converted miles.

Again, I'm not sure about the intelligence/ROi of alientating an airline's most loyal customers? :rolleyes
Old Apr 12, 01, 8:23 pm

ok here is what happen on the 11th of April 2001.

i was flying from IAD, i went to the Ambassador club, the agent told me that they are closing now and will re-open again at 3:00 pm. but what i can do is to go to the Admeral (sp?) club and they will let me in. i went there i showed them my card. the agent asked me to show her AA or TWA boarding pass, i told her i am flying United she told me sorry i cant let you in. i told her i used to enter the Ambassador club with out flying TWA, she said thats right but here you have to show your AA or TWA boarding pass.. i said are you sure, she said yes i am.. then i thanked her and walked away .. before reaching the door another agent called me and said it is ok you can get in.. they just changed the rules yesterday.

so now Ambassador club members can use the Admeral club even if they dont hold AA or TWA boarding pass.

just wanted to share this information with you all.

good luck. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif
Old Apr 13, 01, 10:38 pm

From rec.travel.air. Maybe there are so many people out there that paid $125 for a lifetime pass that they don't want to honor them? Most of them can't be flying much anyway at this point and thus not using the cluhs?

ubject: TWA Ambassador's Club Membership?
>From: [email protected] (Heuring Vincent P)
>Date: 1/10/2001 4:04 PM Eastern Standard Time
>Message-id: <[email protected]>
>
>
>I'm a Life Member of TWA's Ambassador Club. Anybody have any ideas
>what will become of Amb Club memberships after the buyout is complete?
>
>(Guess I can't complain -- I bought the Life Membership the first year
>the clubs opened, for $125!. I suppose I've gotten my money's worth. :-)
>
I had a lifetime membership in the Ionosphere Club with Eastern Airlines.
Couldn't do a thing with it after they went under.

I wouldn't hold my breath with AA.

The clubs are getting so crowded now, the only choice the airlines have is
raising the dues to limit the membership.

Wayne
Old Apr 18, 01, 6:38 pm

Originally posted by freakflyer:
Tango,

If they don't accept them, I feel particularly sorry for those folks that bought a lifetime TWA card AFTER the TW/AA announcement was made and before they cut off the purchases.

FF
These are exactly the people I would NOT feel sorry for, opportunistically trying to buy a life AA membership "on the cheap." I believe someone said TW was recently charging under two thousand dollars for these memberships. The tab at AA back in 1993 was $2500 when the network was much smaller.

Search this Thread