FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TWA FFB/Aviators (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/twa-ffb-aviators-401/)
-   -   TWA vs. AA Awards/Levels (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/twa-ffb-aviators/86667-twa-vs-aa-awards-levels.html)

nologic Mar 6, 2001 5:20 pm

TWA vs. AA Awards/Levels

Any benefit/strategy in cashing in TWA awards vs. AA, anticipating being able to use them on AA(ie. are they much cheaper) -- particularly for 1st & business class travel?

SAPMAN Mar 6, 2001 9:14 pm

nologic: If you are really AA Platinum, you should have experience or talked to other AA members during flights, etc. to know. I have some experience with AA. They are nice enough, but Award Seats not too easy to come by. I find TWA no problem to book Awards, but then as Platinum I have no restrictions.

nologic Mar 7, 2001 5:59 am

I must have pporly woorded my question, which isn't about the avialbility of award seats for travle, but the different mielage levels required between TWA and AA for F/C award travel for one and 2 people.

I haven't compared the cahrts, but if, for example, TWA has an award for two business cliass tickets to Europe that is substantially below in miles the cost of AA's award, then a one may be better off using such award later on AA.

Eugene Mar 7, 2001 8:57 am

Originally posted by nologic:
I haven't compared the cahrts, but if, for example, TWA has an award for two business cliass tickets to Europe that is substantially below in miles the cost of AA's award, then a one may be better off using such award later on AA.
What's the problem in comparing the charts? Look at the web sites and you'll find all the requirements for awards. Also, two business class tickets to Europe (with capacity controls) on AA is 160K miles (Plan Ahead award P160QQ) and the same on TWA (2 AV80E awards, each worth 80K miles).

nologic Mar 7, 2001 9:04 am

Well, domestic awards look cheaper: FC is 30,000 vs. business class on AA is 40,000.

wigstheone Mar 7, 2001 9:10 am

I would expect that AA will only accept that TWA F award for C if 3-class service is available. However, you might be able to save 10K miles for F in 2-class flights.

nologic Mar 7, 2001 9:12 am

I agree -- you should be able to save 10,000 miles on a transcon "C".

rmccamy Mar 8, 2001 12:39 pm

I believe short-haul F is only 25K on TWA.

Also, TWA's capacity controls appear to be much more generous than American's. Two weeks ago, I was able to book a 15K short-haul coach ticket on a nearly-full flight 1 day in advance. We also just booked 2 first-class award seats to the Caribbean on exactly the flights we wanted. My experience on American has been that capacity controls are much tighter, and you have to be at least somewhat flexible to get the PlanAAhead seats.

freakflyer Mar 8, 2001 8:00 pm

The 30k first class award is only for short flights. Though Reno did have a similar type of award that American did honor. So you never know!

nologic Mar 9, 2001 6:42 am

What is the TWA definition for short flights, and how many miles are required for TWAOne from LAX-JFK?

LLZ Mar 14, 2001 3:30 pm

Short flight on TWA is less than 750 miles. Also, most of the award levels are less on TWA.

nologic Mar 14, 2001 3:35 pm

I see, so it's 30,000 for 1st class under 750 miles (gee, that's a good use) and 40,000 for awards more than that, and double those levels for no-restrictions?