Cancelled flight compensation

Old Dec 23, 2023, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK elite
Cancelled flight compensation

I had a BKK-IST-BEG flight and IST-BEG was cancelled on 01.11. evening due to IT system failure at IST airport. TK paid for hotel and I managed to get on the same flight next day, so I arrived at destination 24hrs later.

Should there be any compensation?
Old Dec 23, 2023, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Did you request comp. for cancellation and what was the reply from TK?
Old Dec 23, 2023, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

I did, they replied:
We reviewed your feedback and investigated your reservation. However, we found that you would already had your ticket reissued and you already had boarded your flight.
fissfiss likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 12:03 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
You need to be very clear in your request. Base of your compensation are the SHGM rules that you can find here: https://web.shgm.gov.tr/doc4/shy-passenger.pdf

Review the document, ask for right compensation and quote the document in your request. Otherwise you will get a canned response.
flyerby likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Thanks!
So just to confirm, since the second leg of the flight was cancelled which is IST-BEG (less than 1500km) i can request the amount from ARTICLE 8:
a) a compensation of the Turkish Lira equivalent of 250 Euros for all the flights of 1500 kilometers or shorter,
Is that correct?
Old Dec 24, 2023, 5:40 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
I think you should look at your whole route including BKK-IST and therefore your case is defined in item (c) which provides a compensation of 600 EUR.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Ok, so the new reply is:We are sorry that your flight plans were disrupted.
We have found out that cancelled flight TK1083 Istanbul to Belgrade flight on the date of November 1st, 2023 due to the operational reasons.
In relation to your feedback, we would like to inform that we unfortunately cannot meet your compensation claim, as there is no civil aviation legislation applicable to the flight irregularity that has taken place at your departure point.
However, in order to compensate you for this, we ask that you send us the invoice(s) for your expenses during this irregularity. You can do this by checking the “Previous feedback” option on our feedback page. We’ll review your invoice(s) and let you know about your payment as soon as possible.
Any suggestions?
Old Dec 28, 2023, 7:10 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I don't know much about the Turkish "EC261", but I have understood the point of it being that it is similar to EC261, the main difference being that delays will not be compensated. However, as this was not a delay but a cancellation, my understanding would be that compensation is due. Operational reasons = airline control
Old Dec 28, 2023, 9:13 am

Programs: Eurobonus Lifetime Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Turkish Airlines Elite
Originally Posted by ffay005
I don't know much about the Turkish "EC261", but I have understood the point of it being that it is similar to EC261, the main difference being that delays will not be compensated. However, as this was not a delay but a cancellation, my understanding would be that compensation is due. Operational reasons = airline control
For what it’s worth: I travelled AMM-IST-ATH and had miss-connection in IST due to AMM-IST flight delayed (reason never provided) whereby I arrived ATH almost 20 hrs later than scheduled. Rebooking, hotel and ground transport provided by TK in IST, all fine. When I submitted a request for compensation for the delay (not reimbursement of expenses), referencing the ‘Turkish EC261’, I was rejected:

We had re-investigated your complaint in your feedback numbered TK-999xxxx related to your flight irregularity and every detail has been checked carefully.

In relation to your feedback, we would like to inform that we unfortunately cannot meet your compensation claim, as there is no civil aviation legislation applicable to the flight irregularity that has taken place at your departure point.”

A colleague received 20K miles as ‘compensation’ in a similar situation except his late arrival at final destination was cause by a cancelled flight departing from IST. He has no status with TK, I’m Elite.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 9:36 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I think that's how it is supposed to be. No compensation for a flight that is delayed per Turkish "EC261".

If AMM-IST had been cancelled and that would have led to you arriving delayed at ATH, then I believe you should have gotten compensation.

Or would the Turkish legislation only apply to flights leaving Turkey?
Hafnia likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 3:46 pm

Programs: Jetblue, Turkish, Hilton Gold, Spirit Gold
The plot thickens. Flightaware does not show any TK1083 activity between Oct 29 - Nov 3.

https://www.flightaware.com/live/fli...083/history/80

Maybe they were cancelled in advance for other reasons? Also that week was transition to winter schedule.

Last edited by ovacikar; Dec 28, 2023 at 4:37 pm
Old Dec 28, 2023, 9:56 pm

Programs: Eurobonus Lifetime Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Turkish Airlines Elite
Originally Posted by ffay005
I think that's how it is supposed to be. No compensation for a flight that is delayed per Turkish "EC261".

If AMM-IST had been cancelled and that would have led to you arriving delayed at ATH, then I believe you should have gotten compensation.
Thanks! I believe you’re right, article 7 (delays) doesn’t mention compensation thus article 8 (compensation) is not activated: https://web.shgm.gov.tr/doc4/shy-passenger.pdf But I might have missed something, I’m not a lawyer 😀
ffay005 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ovacikar
The plot thickens. Flightaware does not show any TK1083 activity between Oct 29 - Nov 3.

https://www.flightaware.com/live/fli...083/history/80

Maybe they were cancelled in advance for other reasons? Also that week was transition to winter schedule.
They were not cancelled in advance, most of flights on Nov 1 evening were cancelled because IST airport IT system was hacked.
I managed to get on next day flight, I just checked my miles statement, it says the flight number was 1083:
02.11.2023-Miles Accrued from 1083 02.11.2023 IST-BEG Y Flight
Old Dec 29, 2023, 5:37 am

I noticed that THY changed its policy after Covid. Before I managed to receive compensation 3 times for cancelled flights, despite I (or my wife) were boarded right to the next flight the same day, free of charge. If I remember correctly - once I got 600$ and two times - 300$.

After Covid, I had the same situation two times and both - rejected of compensation.
Old Apr 20, 2024, 4:27 pm

FNA-IST-BER: 1st leg cancelled due to “operational reasons”

Hello everyone,

On a trip from Freetown in Sierra Leone to Berlin my first flight got canceled due to operational reasons. Luckily, I was able to book myself into the next possible flight, which is 24 hours later.

What are my odds that the airline will pay my compensation? I sent a feedback form referring to SHY articles 6 and 10, detailing the sections, paragraphs, distance, and payable amount. But I am afraid they will say: it was causes beyond our control.

If that happens, who can I appeal to? can I find proof online somewhere of the real reason why the flight got canceled? The law references a Turkish authority, but will that yield any positive result? Or is it better to file a claim with AirHelp and the like?

Also, I contacted the airline via phone, filed a feedback form, wrote an email to the office in Freetown to get a hotel in advance. No result. The departure time of the flight is in the middle of the night, the airport is two hours away from the city. Hence it would have been a very major inconvenience to go to the airport to end up at a hotel at, let’s say, 3 AM. So I booked the hotel and sent them the invoice. Will they pay for it? I believe they should, because in article 2 (scope.) the event of the flight cancellation is the only one in which you should get the assistance without having to report to the check-in counter at the encounter.

Would love to hear from you all, will report the outcome.

Last edited by pablitoooooo; Apr 20, 2024 at 5:54 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.