Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

What are the pros/cons of Turkish as a FFP?

Old Nov 8, 2023, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I wish :'(

Thinking about where to credit my *A to, and TK seems a good option. The only other real options are UA and AC, since my most common routes are LGA/EWR-YYZ. I prefer to stick to *A, with OW as a backup (crediting to AA).

Positives:
- One of the easiest to earn *G on, especially for requalification
- Their award + partner award flights are extremely cheap for Saver level C fares
- Istanbul is a great airport to connect in
- TK itself has great food and decent planes, although their 77W/A330 is a bit older

Negatives:
- Bad customer service (bag issue 1, bag issue 2) especially if things go wrong
- Fuel surcharges for LH Group, NH, etc.
- Lack of benefits on UA/AC metal, but if not counting on upgrades I may just buy the UA E+ subscription
- Worse IRROPs handling
- Worse IT + applications
- Issues with booking award tickets for/with others (in theory booking 1 for yourself should unlock this, but in practice not always true)
- No preferred seating access (same with all *A)

Anything I'm missing? (I realize there's a "what *A FFP program thread", but looking for specific information on TK)
Alfredbali likes this.

Last edited by yitianjian; Nov 17, 2023 at 9:05 am
Old Nov 8, 2023, 9:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / TK e+
definite negative is not having free seat reservation in eco as an Elite +
Unlike Oneworld
palermo and Edvard like this.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 9:12 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ G, AZ E
Originally Posted by mfgr
definite negative is not having free seat reservation in eco as an Elite +
Unlike Oneworld
But there is free seat selection for TK elites in TK Y.
dozerman94 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 10:24 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I would say that for anything but flying TK flights and booking TK awards for yourself, the TK programme seems laborious and risky. They detect "fraud" here and there, closing accounts at will for no real reason, if you transfer points from CCs, fly partners, book awards for someone else and whatnot.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Fuel charge for TK own award is insane too. E.g. Someone told me he paid 100 EUR for an award flight in C return with TK from ARN to Mexico using SK miles. If you redeem that with TK you are looking at sub 500 EUR.

If you live outside Trkiye, you don't have option for having a CC to speed up your earning.

Miles validity 3 years with possibility to pay to extend it. UA miles don't expire.
ffay005 and Liquid Sunshine like this.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 3:15 am

In 10 years, I never had a single problem with issuing a TK award ticket for others (although I did read the nightmares others had to go through).
nacho likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 3:46 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
I am TK FF since they matched my US FF to Elite when US was merging with AA.

FT is full of horror stories (on any airline), but when you learn how to handle TK (this forum can definitely help) it is a great airline. So for example I always intentionally book longer connections, go to web when App cannot handle something as capabilities of each point of sale are different etc. I already survived snow in IST (that actually TK handled reasonably well), flight cancelation (put on OS via VIE without any problem) etc. - so I am generally happy camper. After all how many airlines still offer RT TATL reward flights for 90k miles?
Old Nov 9, 2023, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Yeah, a big part of this is temptation at the 90k RT flights - ANA is close at 88k with similar fuel charges, but limited to RT bookings only. At the moment though I'd much rather pay 90k points + $500 than 120-150k points + $150 though.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yitianjian
Yeah, a big part of this is temptation at the 90k RT flights - ANA is close at 88k with similar fuel charges, but limited to RT bookings only. At the moment though I'd much rather pay 90k points + $500 than 120-150k points + $150 though.
If you can get it at $500, the cheapest C redemption is more like $600. The last redemption I made last weekend was more like $650 (EU-IST-US West Coast).

The biggest bang for the point would be domestic redemption as NH domestic has almost no YQ.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 11:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nacho
If you can get it at $500, the cheapest C redemption is more like $600. The last redemption I made last weekend was more like $650 (EU-IST-US West Coast).

The biggest bang for the point would be domestic redemption as NH domestic has almost no YQ.
NH? Domestic? Are you talking about domestic flights within Japan?
Old Nov 9, 2023, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AfterHour
NH? Domestic? Are you talking about domestic flights within Japan?
Yes. Using TK miles to redeem NH Japan domestic. Booked tickets one way CTS-OKA 140 DKK for 2 people and 15k points.
Liquid Sunshine likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 8:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / TK e+
Originally Posted by flyerby
But there is free seat selection for TK elites in TK Y.
Oneworld i can shoose exit seats / bulkheads for free
Can't on TK ELite +
ffay005 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 10:47 pm
Suspended

Can't on TK ELite +
not sure why you are comparing TK with OneWorld. OP is only interested in *A.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 1:27 am

Can't on TK ELite +
This is not a global OW rule. For example, RJ gives OW elites a discount that equals the price of a regular seat. So, regular seats are free but exist row and bulkhead seats are not.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Can't on TK ELite +
oneworld requires transiting through LHR every time I go to Europe, and say what you want about German border control, I'd much rather go through FRA/MUC or actually get a direct flight on UA. HKG/HND/NRT are great, but again, AA has such poor international connectivity when I could just fly CA straight to PEK.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.